Found Deceased MA - Michael Doherty, 20, Franklin, 14 May 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry to post this here - but I'm new and I cannot find the answer anywhere or any way to contact anyone. How do I post a new thread? This site is not very user friendly..
thank you.

Welcome KitCat. I am not sure you can start threads until you have a certain number of posts. Please ask a Mod by using the red triangle button at the bottom of any post (this one) or PM any Mod located at the bottom of the forum "Located Persons Discussion" here http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?437-Located-Persons-Discussion
Any Mod will be happy to start a thread for you.

Hope This Helps and not to worry - you'll find your way around quickly!

Dang, his parents must have been so proud of him! Here's a little about him:

The Michael J. Doherty ’15 Memorial Scholarship Fund has been established at the suggestion of an alumnus, with the support of Michael Doherty's family.

Our community of faith remembers Michael, prays for him, and feels blessed because he made a difference in our lives. Michael was a hardworking student and athlete, a brother, a leader, and a loyal friend. He served as President of the Spanish National Honor Society, was a member of the National Honor Society, earned honors all four years, and was awarded silver medals in mathematics and science at graduation. While at Xaverian, Michael participated in Students Against Destructive Decisions, Xaverian Leadership Institute, Xaverian Pilgrimage to Italy, Global Encounter, Soccer, Indoor Track, and Outdoor Track and Field. We are confident that Michael's legacy here is alive, and with the establishment of the scholarship in his name, it will continue for generations to come.

If you would like to make a gift in honor of Michael, you may do so here.

We ask for your continued prayers for Michael and his family. May Michael rest in the arms of our loving God.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I really hope the police start cracking down on parents who allow their teenagers to throw wild parties with alcohol and drugs. It's a nuisance to the community, it teaches kids that those types of behaviors are okay, and there are not the same regulations and oversight as you'd have at a bar. People need to be held responsible. At this point, I would be more worried about my kid going to a house party in my upper-middle-class hometown than I would many other things. We let the money, nice houses, fancy cars, and educational/career prestige whitewash what in any other situation we'd call negligence and neglect. You only hear about the lower-income mother who left her kids alone for an hour to grocery shop between shifts at work, never the enabling rich parents who turn a blind eye to drunk driving. Sorry, rant over.

I personally think it would be very telling whether or not he had many wounds on his body and feet. The terrain around here is uncertain - ditches, slopes, fallen branches... Walking in the woods in the dark would cause multiple injuries IMO. His legs and feet would be all torn up if he covered that much ground without shoes. Luckily the medical examiners know how to spot the difference between pre and post-mortal wounds. So curious what happened.

I agree, I'm very curious as well. The whole clothing and shoes being elsewhere but yet he was found right by the house is strange. I was wondering what would have made them focus on the woods rather than right by the house, but reading back it seems he possibly mentioned cutting through that way, which in itself is kinda odd - why the detail? Almost screams staged tbh but I tend to have a suspicious mind. I hope more is learned it's perplexing.

Finally a voice of reason. I grew up there too and it is not Mayberry. Yes there are goid kids that grow up there. But there are a lot of wild kids there too. That marsh is in the WRONG direction and where he was found was very close to the yard of the party. The kids at that party know what happened. I hope the cops get to the bottom of it fast. The Penn States students parents are pursuing their sons death. I hope the same happens here.

I live in the area too, same thoughts as well. Something seems off at least from what little info is public.

First: I don't know where this "small" gathering comes from. 30 people at a party is a LOT in that area. Think of a normal sized house, and then think of your family in it, or maybe 10 or so people for a holiday, getting a little too close to your great aunt with 10 people in your house? Probably. Then picture 30 people.

I would imagine those 30 kids were not there the whole time, that it was more of a night where a core group of kids are there for the duration but other kids or groups come and go. Especially the ones just back from school for the summer - they probably hit a few different houses to catch up with everyone. That's the way a lot of the "gatherings" my kids go to are - not formal parties, just get togethers with kids coming and going. That could also account for why Michael did not want to leave earlier with his planned ride - maybe he was talking with a kid or group who showed up on the later side and knew he lived close enough that he could walk if needed. Or he thought he'd catch a ride with someone leaving late but realized when he wanted to go that no one was safe to drive. There's a lot of questions like why didn't he leave with his ride, why did he stay later, why did he walk home... as if he really thought about it ahead of time and made a concrete plan. But a college kid just home for the summer is likely to wing it on a night like this and I don't think that is so unusual. It's only because a tragedy happened that we are trying to make sense of night that would normally be considered an average night out for a 20 year old back from college.

The one thing I can't seem to wrap my head around is what would make a person strip off shirt and shoes 400 meters into the woods.... a quarter mile into the woods and Michael decides to take off his shirt and shoes? A quarter mile can be walked leasurely in three minutes.

The one thing I can't seem to wrap my head around is what would make a person strip off shirt and shoes 400 meters into the woods.... a quarter mile into the woods and Michael decides to take off his shirt and shoes? A quarter mile can be walked leasurely in three minutes.

Who knows how long he could have been walking around or been outside before he took off his shirt/shoes. But he could have felt overheated with hypothermia or if he was on some drug...Molly, cocaine. He might have knowingly taken something, or given a drug unknowingly.

Who knows how long he could have been walking around or been outside before he took off his shirt/shoes. But he could have felt overheated with hypothermia or if he was on some drug...Molly, cocaine. He might have knowingly taken something, or given a drug unknowingly.

THIS! This is what my main theory is in regard to this whole situation, which is why I keep focusing on the party itself.

xxxedgexxx....are you thinking that he was slipped something or that he was participating in the drugs at the party....meth? Molly? Coke? Heroin?

I agree, I'm very curious as well. The whole clothing and shoes being elsewhere but yet he was found right by the house is strange. I was wondering what would have made them focus on the woods rather than right by the house, but reading back it seems he possibly mentioned cutting through that way, which in itself is kinda odd - why the detail? Almost screams staged tbh but I tend to have a suspicious mind. I hope more is learned it's perplexing.

Yes, I first assumed it was a hypothermic tragedy, but the sneakers not being muddy raised my suspicions also about it being staged. It found it unusual just how much Shawn Hanley said to the press about Michael's taking the path (directing everyone's attention to that?) and especially odd when he referred to it as "a fluky thing that happened at a weird time." Fluky? Idk, but I wonder if police have been suspicious about it from the beginning and that is why there were so many resources for the massive hunt to find him. It seemed unprecedented to have such a massive manhunt for such a long time. If they have been suspicious, they've put on a good public poker face.
RIP Michael.

This is a link with the fluky quote: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/lo...lin_swamp_in_hunt_for_missing_duke_student_20

xxxedgexxx....are you thinking that he was slipped something or that he was participating in the drugs at the party....meth? Molly? Coke? Heroin?

Hey there. For whatever reason, synthetic marijuana is what I keep thinking of. My Mom is a psychiatrist and she has told me stories about people telling her about their experiences with it. Scariest part is you have no idea what is actually in that stuff. If you remember Chandler Jones of the New England Patriots showed up at the Foxboro PD with almost no clothes on, on his knees one morning. Then the Patriots traded him a few weeks later. He was using synthetic weed.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...ot-overdose/7LW0qko2kU0OphXTTmgtSO/story.html

I think he could have been slipped something, yes. But again, they need to get a hold of phones and text messages, video.

Hey there. For whatever reason, synthetic marijuana is what I keep thinking of. My Mom is a psychiatrist and she has told me stories about people telling her about their experiences with it. Scariest part is you have no idea what is actually in that stuff. If you remember Chandler Jones of the New England Patriots showed up at the Foxboro PD with almost no clothes on, on his knees one morning. Then the Patriots traded him a few weeks later. He was using synthetic weed.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...ot-overdose/7LW0qko2kU0OphXTTmgtSO/story.html

I think he could have been slipped something, yes. But again, they need to get a hold of phones and text messages, video.

Oh that is right, the Pat's player Chandler Jones behavior was due to synthetic weed.

A friend's son has had long lasting mental issues from using it. He lives in Southern NH. I drugs are available throughout our country, but often there are pockets of certain drugs. Hopefully the tox reports will give some good answers as to what, if any, drugs he had in his system.

I'm new on this case, but I'm wondering if he was found right by the house, why did it take a team of volunteers, a week to find him?!

Friendly reminder before Michael's thread gets off the rails;

" VICTIM FRIENDLY

Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. Attacking or bashing a victim is not allowed. Discussing victim behavior, good or bad is fine, but do so in a civil and constructive way, and only when such behavior is relevant to the case.

The "victim friendly" rule extends to the family members of victims and suspects. Sleuthing family members, friends, and others who have not been designated as suspects is not allowed. Don't make random accusations, suggest their involvement, nor bash and attack them. Posting their personal information, including names, addresses, and background data -- even if it is public -- is not allowed. That does not mean, however, that statements made by family members and other third parties cannot come into discussion as the facts of the case are reported in the media.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?65798-Etiquette-amp-Information

So everyone in that community is mourning the loss of this terrific young adult and as a result friends, families, Parents and anyone connected are considered victims until LE confirms wrongdoing.

When I read that quote "[FONT=&quot]It’s just a fluky thing that happened at a weird time" in the Herald a week ago (before knowing anything else about this case) I immediately thought that is a very strange way to describe the situation. A 'flukey thing'? 'That happened'? past tense? 'at a weird time'?? all the kid was supposed to know was that Michael walked home. that's not flukey nor weird. Sounds more like a teenager describing a specific incident that went tragically wrong. I'd say that the kids at the party better get good lawyers asap.[/FONT]

First, this is incredibly sad-he seemed like a bright young man. Next, something definitely isn't right here. We've all had a few drinks and walked home, if you refuse to admit that then you're lying to yourself. Something more is at play here than a drunk kid just randomly dying from being drunk and confused. The detail that really sticks out to me is that his shoe fell off. I don't know about you guys, but the only time my sneakers have come off on a rainy/muddy day is if it gets stuck in the mud and I still have some running to do. Something happened to this young man and I hope we stop blaming it on alcohol and look more critically at the circumstances.

First, this is incredibly sad-he seemed like a bright young man. Next, something definitely isn't right here. We've all had a few drinks and walked home, if you refuse to admit that then you're lying to yourself. Something more is at play here than a drunk kid just randomly dying from being drunk and confused. The detail that really sticks out to me is that his shoe fell off. I don't know about you guys, but the only time my sneakers have come off on a rainy/muddy day is if it gets stuck in the mud and I still have some running to do. Something happened to this young man and I hope we stop blaming it on alcohol and look more critically at the circumstances.

Agree with your thinking.......I've felt all along he was chased by something/someone. Like your thinking, this would explain his shoes and why he went as far as he did through marsh/water/swamp to the country club. IF he was walking the trail as stated, he would have known he was off track as soon as he began wading in water IMO. Why continue on as far as he did?

welcome new posters. Always great to hear new ideas, insight, hope, voices. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304