Eyes color: Hazel
Height: 59.0 to 63.0
Weight
: 95.0 to 130.0
Scars and marks:
tattoo of a flower on her shoulder
Clothing and accessories:
wore prescription glasses for visual
Transportation methods: Chevrolet Monte Carlo Sedan 1980, color brown, type commercial;
The vehicle was impounded at the Massachusetts State Police barracks in Middleboro, and was fingerprinted back in 1991
Dental: Is not available
DNA: Sample available - not yet submitted
Fingerprints: is not available

Circumstances
Nadine went to Jake's Saloon on Pleasant St in Fall River to shoot some darts. She was said to have left the bar to go to New Bedford with a male companion. No one one heard from her in 24 hours so family went to her house to check on her. The following Monday a missing persons report was filed. Two weeks later on July 28, her vehicle was found in Weld Square. Nadine has not been seen or heard from ever again.

July 30, 1991

New clues have surfaced in the disappearance of a Fall River woman who has been missing for 18 days, but there is still no sign of her, police said yesterday.

Nadine Mendonca, 25, of Locust Avenue, disappeared on the night of July 12 shortly after leaving Jake's Saloon in Fall River, police said. She was last seen driving a Fall River man home from the bar, police said.

On Sunday, New Bedford police found her car, a 1980 Chevrolet Monte Carlo, on Weld Avenue in New Bedford. The driver's side window had been smashed and blood was found in the trunk, according to Fall River Detective Michael Sweeney. …

https://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-7671002.html

This happened in the years when New Bedford Highway serial killer was active. There where about 11 victims, 2 other still missing women and I think some unidentifed too.

NBC 10 I-Team: Police re-examine 1991 mysterious disappearance of Fall River woman

dd6f4bcd-5842-4adc-b883-42e5b0d323ca-large16x9_PCOLDCASEMENDONCA_frame_89.jpg

Nadine Mendonca was 25 years old in 1991.

On Friday, July 12, she went to shoot pool and throw darts at Jake’s Saloon in Fall River. She was never seen again.

Two weeks after she vanished, Nadine's car was found in New Bedford's Weld Square. The driver's window of the 1980 Monte Carlo was smashed and blood was found in the trunk.

“As soon as they found the car in Weld Square and told us there was blood inside the trunk of the car, (we) figured it wasn't good at all,” said Nadine’s younger brother, Shawn Mendonca, who remembers his sister as someone who would “talk to everybody.”

It turns out Weld Square was a popular spot for many of the victims in New Bedford's highway killings. In the early 90s, police ruled out a connection between those murders and Nadine’s disappearance, but her family has always had doubts.

“If she was alive, she would have called us up,” said Fernando Mendonca.

“I'm afraid I have to accept whatever is to come. I’m preparing myself for the inevitable,” said Rita Mendonca, Nadine’s mother.

Probably assaulted as she was preparing to leave. Her body placed on the trunk and later discarded somewhere.

Any locals here? What was Weld Square like in the early 90's? I just read something that described it as having: cobblestone streets, thriving storefronts, taverns, alleyways.
Accurate?

So what would happen, a perp would hang out on the nearby streets at night, waiting for both a quiet seemingly- deserted street and single victim there and then would strike, and no one ever heard or saw anything?

In this case, was the male she drove home identified? Any chance they were both victims, or was he at home and she was victimized later, or could he have been the perp?

Was he or someone else a suspect at the time but there wasn't enough evidence, or is this case a true mystery?

It seems I'll have to try to find out if there is more information out there.

They found that car before LE was using DNA. I wonder if there is any evidence from that car that can be tested now.

Search for justice continues decades after disappearance of Nadine Mendonca
by TAMARA SACHARCZYK, NBC 10 NEWS

Monday, November 21st 2022
FALL RIVER, Mass. (WJAR) — The date is July 12, 1991, a warm summer night in Fall River.

Nadine Mendonca, 25, is seen getting into her car and driving to one of her favorite hangouts on Pleasant Street, a bar called Jake’s Saloon.

“She just left a wake, and she went to go shoot some darts at Jake’s,” Nadine’s brother, Shawn Mendonca, said.

ce1e63a0-bcd0-477e-b51b-5c2939fc8fb6-medium16x9_6PPINSIDEMENDONCACASE.transfer_frame_1076.jpeg

Nadine Mendonca, 25, was last seen on July 12, 1991 getting into her car and driving to one of her favorite hangouts on Pleasant Street, a bar called Jake’s Saloon in Fall River. (WJAR)

It's a bar she frequented often, but what started as an ordinary night out for her suddenly took a dark turn.

“She met a gentleman, and I can only assume about closing time they left Jake’s and she was never found again after that,” Shawn said.

That night was the last time Shawn spoke to his sister, a memory that has haunted him for the past 31 years.

“It’s hard to explain because it just gnaws you right inside your stomach, right in your heart,” he said. “You got something taken away from you and there’s nothing you can do about it.”

e9f84d80-9436-4c4a-a1d4-2d5dbcba7723-medium16x9_6PPINSIDEMENDONCACASE.transfer_frame_439.jpeg

Shawn Mendoca tells the NBC 10 I-Team he is still haunted by the memory of the last time he spoke to his sister, Nadine Mendonca, before she disappeared in 1991. (WJAR)

Nadine was extremely close to her family, particularly her parents.

When they didn't hear from her after the wake, they feared the worst.

“She would call every night, talk to my mother, talk to my father,” Shawn said. “She hadn’t called Friday night, Saturday she didn’t call, Sunday she didn’t call, I even drove by the house, her car wasn’t there at all.”

Shawn immediately knew something was wrong.

Nadine had plans to move in with her sister and niece in Texas the following week, a new life she was eager to start living.

Nadine’s family wasted no time.

She was reported missing to Fall River police 24 hours after she was last seen.

764ab5e1-9bec-45f4-b470-8223682c1aa9-medium16x9_poster_32ab1aa95c284c43a63b6f85c6124e7e.png

From July 30, 1991: NBC 10's Bob Ward reports on the disappearance of Nadine Mendonca of Fall River. (WJAR)

News articles from the early 90s show police interviewed the man Nadine left with that night but ruled him out as a suspect.

While that person’s name has never publicly been released, detectives said there were able to corroborate his alibi that Nadine drove him home to Fall River from the bar that night, but they didn’t have any contact after that.

A major piece of evidence was discovered two weeks later, when Nadine’s vehicle was found in Weld Square in New Bedford.

The driver's window of the 1980 Monte Carlo was smashed in and blood was found in the trunk.

Police took a sample of the blood, which DNA testing later confirmed belonged to Nadine.

The discovery sent shockwaves through Nadine's parents, who NBC 10 interviewed back in 1991.

“I'm afraid I have to accept whatever is to come,” Nadine’s mother, Rita Mendonca said. “I’m preparing myself for the inevitable.”

5dc3dd74-a4df-4fd9-892c-af06a08d2567-medium16x9_6PPINSIDEMENDONCACASE.transfer_frame_2917.jpeg

Nadine Mendoca's vehicle was found in Weld Square in New Bedford two weeks after her disappearance in 1991. The driver's window of the 1980 Monte Carlo was smashed in and blood was found in the trunk. (WJAR)

Weld Square was in the headlines for all the wrong reasons at the time.

“I think the Weld Square aspect is concerning because it was connected to the highway killings, which remain unsolved at this this point,” Bristol County District Attorney Thomas Quinn said.

In the early 90s, police ruled out a connection between those murders and Nadine’s disappearance, but to this day, Shawn is convinced his sister was the victim of a crime.

“She was murdered,” he said.

While police have never been able to prove that, DNA was in its infancy when Nadine vanished.

Now, new advancements are giving investigators renewed hope.

“That’s another case that we are focusing on, again potentially to bring closure, at least an identification and determine potentially if a criminal activity was involved,” Quinn said.

a520e19b-bec9-46cb-871f-3ac69b4af13d-medium16x9_6PPINSIDEMENDONCACASE.transfer_frame_5313.jpeg

Bristol County District Attorney speaks with the NBC 10 I-Team on the disappearance of Nadine Mendonca. (WJAR)

Investigators in the Bristol County DA’s Cold Case Unit are uploading all the evidence into a database, in hopes it’ll someday give them the answers they’ve been searching for.

Nadine's parents, Rita and Fernando, passed away years after her disappearance without ever knowing what happened to their daughter.

“I told my dad just before he died in 2017, ‘I’m going to get to the bottom of this,’” Shawn said. “We are going to find out who killed my sister and bring him to justice.”

For Shawn, finding out what happened to Nadine is about honoring that death bed promise he made to his father.

“That would bring peace to me and my family,” he said.

Nadine would be 56 years old today.

She was five feet tall and 95 pounds, with brown hair, frosted tips, brown eyes, and a flower tattoo on her right shoulder when she was last seen.

She had been living on the 200 block of Locust Street in Fall River.

If you have any information on Nadine’s case, you can reach out to Massachusetts State Police Lt. Ann Marie Robertson at 508-961-1918.

You can submit an anonymous tip online or by texting “Bristol” to 274-637.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back