MA MA - Neo Babson Maximus, aka Charles Allen, 22, Dartmouth, 12 Oct 2007

This Psychic Kids episode just re-aired in Canada on Biography channel. Bumping to see if there is new info...hopefully with the re-airing there could be new info brought forth.

I personally don't hold a lot of faith in this program, but having Charles/Neo's story brought up again may help.

My heart goes out to his family, I cannot imagine the pain of not knowing...any information no matter how small could help them. Let's hope someone comes forward as the story is being rebroadcast. Probably the only saving grace that this show has.

This case will be on Disappeared this Monday, April 25th.

Prayers for his family.

After watching the show, it was really odd that they didn't get more leads by searching the computer. I'm wondering if they requested to get records directly from facebook and the company that hosted his email so they could search the data on the servers in conjunction with what was on the computer. Even in 2007, you could have been doing a lot of online activity just via a cell phone.

You would think if he snapped into a manic state there may have been some evidence SOMEWHERE online or on the computer to back that up.

Anyone that is a local or knows the family know how extensive the forensic analysis of his online activity was?

After watching the show, it was really odd that they didn't get more leads by searching the computer. I'm wondering if they requested to get records directly from facebook and the company that hosted his email so they could search the data on the servers in conjunction with what was on the computer. Even in 2007, you could have been doing a lot of online activity just via a cell phone.

You would think if he snapped into a manic state there may have been some evidence SOMEWHERE online or on the computer to back that up.

Anyone that is a local or knows the family know how extensive the forensic analysis of his online activity was?

My thoughts exactly!!

I've been thinking of Charlie all day. One thing that just nagged me all day is how much I genuinely liked his family and how much it hurt me to see their pain. His parents, sister & friends are the kind of people I know & love & hang out with and I am hoping & praying that someone somewhere knows Charlie & can pick up the phone and bring this family together tonight

One of the strangest "Disappeared" cases that they have covered. I kept waiting for that missing piece of information that would give me a logical conclusion of what happened. Never came. Something definitely seems to be missing from the story, but I don't feel that law enforcement is holding anything back. My guess would be that he met with foul play. Best case scenario is that he left to start a new life. After hearing his sister though, I highly doubt the latter.

I just watched this disappeared episode that I had DVR'd. I don't recall ever hearing about this case before despite it being fairly local to me. We share tv/news stations with that area and I do a lot of my shopping in Dartmouth as they have all the big box stores and a mall and it's only 25 mins away. I always pay attention to missing cases that I see on the news so I am surprised I had never heard of it which leads me to think that maybe there wasn't much media coverage.

My thoughts on the case are that I felt they touched on the fact that there could have been someone after him but never really got into that much and I wished they had. The fact that his emails were all wiped from his computer for a week or so before he went missing was also odd and makes me wonder if there wasn't something to him being paranoid, and that maybe it wasn't just his mental disorder like they seemed to imply. I really wanted more info about this and his online virtual life that was talked about briefly. Maybe some of the talented members here can find out more. I am not too skilled at research.

One of the strangest "Disappeared" cases that they have covered. I kept waiting for that missing piece of information that would give me a logical conclusion of what happened. Never came. Something definitely seems to be missing from the story, but I don't feel that law enforcement is holding anything back. My guess would be that he met with foul play. Best case scenario is that he left to start a new life. After hearing his sister though, I highly doubt the latter.

I just watched the Disappeared episode. People always suspect it's foul play. My personal opinion is he was wandering around in the woods, had an accident of some kind, and then succumbed to the elements.

Britany mentions in Disappeared that he said something to her on the phone about "the periodic table of elements has all the answers".... Half Life??

I just watched this Disappeared episode. I don't recall hearing about this case before.

Regarding the wiped emails - I wonder if the family or LE ever tried to get AOL to see what they could retrieve.

Regarding the closed Facebook account...Charlie had apparently used his FB account earlier that day and was surprised when his sister told him it was closed. I wonder if the family or LE found out from FB when the account was closed. If it was closed during the time Charlie was out playing tennis, that would show someone else was on his computer.

Charlie's behavior doesn't sound to me like manic-depressive behaviors, but his actions the day he disappeared do make me think he had a sudden psychotic break that frequently occurs with schizophrenia (afflicting mostly boys in their late teens and early 20s).

I just watched this Disappeared episode. I don't recall hearing about this case before.

Regarding the wiped emails - I wonder if the family or LE ever tried to get AOL to see what they could retrieve.

Regarding the closed Facebook account...Charlie had apparently used his FB account earlier that day and was surprised when his sister told him it was closed. I wonder if the family or LE found out from FB when the account was closed. If it was closed during the time Charlie was out playing tennis, that would show someone else was on his computer.

Charlie's behavior doesn't sound to me like manic-depressive behaviors, but his actions the day he disappeared do make me think he had a sudden psychotic break that frequently occurs with schizophrenia (afflicting mostly boys in their late teens and early 20s).

This is a very strange case, and your use of the word "psychotic" is exactly what I was thinking. My husband is bipolar and had a severe episode where he beileved totally different things that what was reality. His therapist and psychiatrist said he was psychotic. It came on gradually, but I didn't notice it until it was too late. All the time watching the episode of Disappeared I thought Charlie must have had a severe psychotic episode, especially since he was not taking his medication. That would bring it on. I really hope he is found unharmed.

I just saw the Disappeared episode on this case and I have to agree, it really feels like something significant is missing. I am also curious (for those with knowledge of mental health conditions), if someone had a psychotic episode, how long would that last? Wouldn't the person eventually recover somewhat and find their way back home or at least seek some kind of help or is it possible for their condition to become permanent so they keep on going?

It sounded like Charles was close with his sister, which would make me think if he was alive and left on his own that he would have returned at some point by now.

Britany mentions in Disappeared that he said something to her on the phone about "the periodic table of elements has all the answers".... Half Life??

http://www.ptable.com/

If anyone here is more familiar with this, or with the game Half Life, or with speaking in code :waitasec:

Just thought it would be worth checking into further. He is obviously a bright young man--a fast learner, ability to retain info and put it into practice. Could he have really feared someone and was he trying to send a message?

Whether he was having a manic episode or not, it could lead somewhere....maybe

I played Half Life and most of Half Life 2, and I really cannot recall any connection with the periodic table of elements there.

At the beginning of the first game, some unnamed material (looked like a rock) was placed in a testing chamber in the Anomalous Materials sector of the Black Mesa compound (the setting for the game). This caused a Resonance Cascade which essentially ripped open a gateway between Earth and a strange, alien place called Zen (and was the basis for most of the game). Zen is where all the scary, creepy, terrifying beasts came from that plagued Gordon Freeman (the main character) throughout the game.

I do not recall a direct mention of the Periodic table or any specific elements, so not sure if there is even any connection or if it was maybe directed at people he possibly played Half Life multi-player online with, like some kind of inside reference. If that was the case, then the plot of the game wouldn't even come into play (multi-player is generally just a death match or capture the flag type game and the story isn't relevant).

Don't know if that helps, but thought I would share my bit of game knowledge in the rare chance that it does.

I played Half Life and most of Half Life 2, and I really cannot recall any connection with the periodic table of elements there.

I do not recall a direct mention of the Periodic table or any specific elements, so not sure if there is even any connection or if it was maybe directed at people he possibly played Half Life multi-player online with, like some kind of inside reference. If that was the case, then the plot of the game wouldn't even come into play (multi-player is generally just a death match or capture the flag type game and the story isn't relevant).

Don't know if that helps, but thought I would share my bit of game knowledge in the rare chance that it does.

Thank you for your input! I guess when Brittany said in Disappeared that Neo told her on the phone, "The periodic table of elements has all the answers", the FIRST thing I thought of was Half Life because, well, the table shows the half-life of all the elements.

While the elements themselves may have nothing to do with the game, was he paranoid enough make reference to Half-Life (or people having something to do with that game and/or other online gaming) by a different method, without having to say the words "half life"....kwim?

No problem! It isn't every day that my gaming experience is applied in a useful manner ;) And your suggestion makes total sense.

I see what you're saying. Hmm. As a disclaimer, it has literally been years since I played Half Life, so it is possible I may have forgotten about something subtle or a smaller part of the plot that could apply here somehow. If Charlie was so passionate about the things he did (and he had played more recently before he disappeared) then someone like him might remember more detail about the game plot than I would after years without playing.

The game included rather stereotypical scientists, although they were just secondary characters (mostly fodder for Freeman and the beasties he fought). I'm still having a hard time drawing a connection to the periodic table and the game, but I will think on it and see if anything comes up. I'll ask my husband, too, he played it as well and might remember something like that better than I would.

And as far as another type of game related reference, I really can't come up with anything. I'm not sure how direct he would have been about how he was feeling, but he could have been likening the Resonance Cascade to the way he felt at the time (especially if he was having a dramatic mental episode of some sort, it might be relate-able). That is a bit of a stretch in my mind though, but possible.

And along the lines of paranoia, throughout the game Freeman had to also fight against military attacks because they were trying to wipe out evidence of what went wrong at Black Mesa... If Charlie was paranoid or if someone actually was after him, that could have been a vague way of alluding to it. Mentioning the periodic table which relates scientifically to half life, which is the name of the game he played so often that had a plot that included a massive cover up.

Again, I am grasping at straws here. This is such a weird case that seems like it is lacking in so many areas. For what it's worth, this link is the Wikipedia page on the Half Life game in case anyone would like to read a bit about the plot or anything (it's not terribly detailed, but you can get a better idea about what I'm referring to maybe).

I just saw the Disappeared episode on this case and I have to agree, it really feels like something significant is missing. I am also curious (for those with knowledge of mental health conditions), if someone had a psychotic episode, how long would that last? Wouldn't the person eventually recover somewhat and find their way back home or at least seek some kind of help or is it possible for their condition to become permanent so they keep on going?

[snipped]

With schizophrenia, a psychotic break can happen suddenly and frequently doesn't go away without drug treatment (and sometimes that doesn't work).

Here's an account of one young man's experience with schizophrenia: http://articles.sfgate.com/2004-09-...tal-health-today-staglin-psychiatric-hospital

Charlie's disappearance reminds me of Tom Daniels' disappearance: http://projectjason.org/forums/index.php?topic=7441.0 Another student who was doing great and then all of a sudden started saying people were threatening him and then he disappeared.

I'm afraid that, in both cases, these young men were experiencing the delusions of schizophrenia. It's possible they may be homeless or in a shelter somewhere and not know who they are. But more likely, unfortunately, they may have died of exposure somewhere or met with foul play.

Thank you for the resources and information, Kip. It certainly sounds like a good possibility for this case. The sad part is that the scenario of Charlie alive but living in a shelter, unaware of who he is, is the best case at this point (or the possibility that he left voluntarily for his own reasons). Although I can't imaging he could have gotten far before people began looking for him. If he had been in a shelter, I would think that someone would have identified him. I also assume that shelters are high on the search list when distributing fliers and contacting local people.

It kind of reminds me of the case of Jeremy Alex, although his situation may have been brought on by drug abuse. These cases seem to have a similar vagueness about them because they make absolutely no sense. Perhaps what is missing from the puzzle is the individual's state of mind. If we knew that, we might be able to better understand why they did what they did before they went missing.

In my mind, the fact that Charlie was seen running around without proper clothing for the weather is another indication that it wasn't a planned thing for him.

to me it seems pretty clear that he was in a manic state.
a) he changed his name sometime prior to one that most people would find bizarre- I like creativity as much as the next person, but he was not in the entertainment industry. this seems, like a manic action to me. neo maximus? he didn't tell his family, or most of his friends. this sounds like a relapse to me.
b) bizarre phone calls referencing the periodic table of elements, moving south to florida or texas, people are after him because he sent some "emails", and he wasn't loved enough, all in short period of time, while running.
c) someone matching his description was seen climbing into someone's second story window nearby, asking for someone named mason, a person charlie also had plans with, that same evening.
d) his shoes are found, with no evidence of foul play. soon (days or over a week) after, in cold weather, someone matching his description is seen shirtless and disheveled nearby approaching a semi. bad news. do I believe this was him? yes, because it struck the man as very unusual, and when he was possibly seen climbing into someone's window acting strangely, he was also shirtless in cold weather. it is not uncommon for people to remove their clothing during a manic episode.

It is obvious this family loves their son, very much. but it seemed like there was some denial regarding his behavior on his final day. I have had exactly ONE very manic episode in my life. it lasted, approximately one month, or so. never before, and never again. I had gone off some medicine that helped me sleep, and I didn't sleep for a long time, and I think that is what triggered it. it was about eight years ago. my point is you don't have to have a history of events like this to suddenly snap out of reality, and having a bipolar diagnosis and not taking medication it surprises me they don't take that possibility more seriously. they say it wasn't the charlie they knew. I'm sure it wasn't! people are not themselves at all when they are seriously manic. I'm sure the charlie they knew, knew what makes sense and what doesn't. but the charlie that evening, did not.

where is now? well. I don't know that I want to speculate overmuch bc I don't think the family welcomes speculation it seems like, from the ID show. suffice to say. that I think truck drivers who pick up shirtless, disoriented young men have a small chance of not having a safe and friendly ride on their minds. and if the first one or two drivers did, the third may not have.

my hope, is that he is alive, and will come home, but I don't know that is what I really believe. that last possible sighting a year or two ago, does bring hope.

people in a manic or psychotic episode often read into things to an extreme degree and reference cryptic connections that strikes others as "crazy". They often sense conspiracies. it wouldn't surprise me if he started to mix up his own identity, with his old gaming identity, and reference the game half life with the table of elements, and even, legally change his name to neo, his gaming name. it shocked me that this was kind of laughed off by his sister, like it made sense. legally changing your entire name out of the blue is a big deal. when I was in a manic state, I recall I sent some strange emails out. if he thought someone was after him for emails he sent out, it wouldn't surprise me, the person receiving the email, if there was any, probably just thought, what the hell?

The following is nothing more than my opinion, but I actually have two theories as to what may have happened to Mr. Allen. I believe that he suffered a severe psychiatric event, after which one of two things may have happened. I believe he may have wandered in the woods and become lost, falling victim to the elements or that his online dealings brought him into contact with someone of ill intent.
My opinion of him having suffered a psychiatric setback is based on his conduct immediately preceeding his disappearance and the accounts of his habits regarding medication(s). I am troubled by one detail: the investigation of his computer. It seems unlikely to me that this man spent so much of his time on the computer and yet nothing of use was found. That said however, I must consider the possibility that LE did indeed find useful information that they simply weren't at liberty to make public.
The one major impression that I walked away with after hearing of this case was that there was so much being unsaid. I suspect that there may have been a lot of unspoken concerns amongst Mr. Allen's loved ones (in saying this, I mean absolutely NO disrespect). My prayers and thoughts go to his family and friends. It is obvious that Mr. Allen is very loved and very missed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back