MA MA - New Bedford, "Popes Island Jane Doe", WhtFem 30-45, UP7253, emerald ring from Belarus, Oct'96

It certainly sounds like she was killed in the vicinity of painting, anyway.

Oh, another place they use that tape: auto body shops.
Good one!!! (respectfully bolded by me)

He could have been painting his house too. I just find it odd that the average person would have that specific tape laying around for no reason. Just for the heck of it, I asked my painter guy on my maintenance crew how often they use that tape. He said that they use it all the time in the apartments. But get this. You can't use it with with lacquer. Also he said it comes in low and medium adhesion. Our guys use medium. I checked the 3M website and sure enough it says all that.

I didn't think that the facial reconstruction in DoeNet looked very much like this Jane Doe, so I did one of my own.

a7699c6d-66c5-4851-8c8f-54f1f89276c8.jpg

Fantastic work Carl.....this is our girl. I'm astonished at your talent and ability.

This really is her.

Friendly reminder.

When discussing or quoting from media articles please include the link to the article being discussed.

Thank you
Cubby
(moderator)

I didn't think that the facial reconstruction in DoeNet looked very much like this Jane Doe, so I did one of my own.

Very nice. But should her nose be a little thinner and very slightly more arched at the top, just below the bridge? I can't tell if it's really thinner or a trick of the light...

Welcome to WS Rindicella!

Your comment earlier in the thread 'babushka' made me smile. My family is of Polish decent and called my grandmother Busia when she was alive.

My thoughts on the ring. I wonder how it was determined the ring was from Belarus. I have a vintage European ring which originally belonged to my great grandmother's (born 1893) mother. (Slovak side of the family and not a leaf or ivy design) I couldn't begin to guess an exact date, but the 'prongs' are similiar to the ring showed for the UID's ring. Or I should say were. I had to have the ring repronged or would have lost the stone.

Unsure if this is helpful to this UID or not, but when I had the ring repronged and reshanked (half) for size and due to thin wear I was told many rings of the era were colored glass not necessarily a real gem stone. It was also difficult to find a jeweler who would fix the ring due to it's age. Most did not want to touch it, as they had no experience with antique rings.

I wonder if this ring belonging to the UID has had any work? If so, it may be worth showing the ring and UID to jewlers in the area like you suggested distributing her photo and the ring to churches in the area.

Just thinking outloud.

Your comment earlier in the thread 'babushka' made me smile. My family is of Polish decent and called my grandmother Busia when she was alive.

My thoughts on the ring. I wonder how it was determined the ring was from Belarus. I have a vintage European ring which originally belonged to my great grandmother's (born 1893) mother. (Slovak side of the family and not a leaf or ivy design) I couldn't begin to guess an exact date, but the 'prongs' are similiar to the ring showed for the UID's ring. Or I should say were. I had to have the ring repronged or would have lost the stone.

Unsure if this is helpful to this UID or not, but when I had the ring repronged and reshanked (half) for size and due to thin wear I was told many rings of the era were colored glass not necessarily a real gem stone. It was also difficult to find a jeweler who would fix the ring due to it's age. Most did not want to touch it, as they had no experience with antique rings.

I wonder if this ring belonging to the UID has had any work? If so, it may be worth showing the ring and UID to jewlers in the area like you suggested distributing her photo and the ring to churches in the area.

Just thinking outloud.

Thank you so much for your welcome and post. (Especially about your Grandma! Makes me smile)

Thank you also for your thoughts on the ring. The Doenetwork said it was determined by "experts" but does not say who/or ???
I like what you say about the prongs because in the photo it almost looks "glued in", and the prongs appear almost like a solid piece.

It took me awhile to recognize them as individual prongs.
The stone is interesting....there are several green gems that come from Russia and the Doe network noted it as "emerald colored". I thought that was strange. If it was just "green" why didn't they say "green colored" or just "green".
I too wonder if its real!

Very nice. But should her nose be a little thinner and very slightly more arched at the top, just below the bridge? I can't tell if it's really thinner or a trick of the light...

Thanks, carbuff. There isn't a lot of contrast in the photo, but I do see what you are saying.

Here is the revision. I made a very subtle change to the shaft of her nose, and brought in the bridge just a tad, but it does give her a slightly different look.

BTW, one of the articles that Rindicella posted indicated that she had a broken nose and a split-chin - so I think there has been some photoshop work done on the PM photo. If so, they did a good job because it's difficult to detect.

I agree ....this revision on the nose does something to help her appear her age as well. Less "youthful" as the information from the doenetwork stated 30-45 years of age.

I never liked that original sketch on doenetwork. It showed a very "pinched" appearance to the nose, central of course to the face and I felt that other errors may have "radiated" from that. I like this revision very much and feel this is very accurate when compared to the post mortem photo.

Just thinking outloud.

That's a good point. I have a pin from spouse's great-aunt that shows the same kind of mount (and the red gold that Rindicella mentioned). We thought the stones were colored glass but they turned out to be real -- quite a surprise when we took them to the jeweler.

I was wondering about this Canadian woman who disappeared in early October. She's been on my radar for a while, trying to find where she ended up -- but the the thing that caught my eye now was her ear as compared to the ear of the woman in Carl's sketch.

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2857dfon.html

Attachments

• ADesjardins.jpg
    ADesjardins.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 60
  • 2346894670045078242S600x600Q85.jpg
    2346894670045078242S600x600Q85.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 53
  • carl uid popes island.jpg
    carl uid popes island.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 26
I was wondering about this Canadian woman who disappeared in early October. She's been on my radar for a while, trying to find where she ended up -- but the the thing that caught my eye now was her ear as compared to the ear of the woman in Carl's sketch.

If you go back to the original postmortem photo, it may be more clear that the major ear distortion and wider features on the victims L side are apparently due to trauma, either blunt or from the gun shots. I see that the original sketch shows some unusual characteristic to the ear also, but I am not familiar with his work. If you have something comparable to photoshop it might be worth checking over the postmortem photo with different lighting, especially if you feel strong about your possible match.

This is an interesting comparison! I did not quite know what to make of the ear on Jane doe. do you think it's possible the ear was a bit damaged in her beating? The doenetwork entry said she had been hit in the face and head. I wondered about the ear too.

This lady from Canada looks promising.

I saw this MP a long time ago and thought she might be a good possible for Pope's Island Jane Doe. For some reason which I cannot recall, I moved on to other things.

But I just bumped into her case file again and realized that she might be worth looking into.

Heidi Balch
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/balch_heidi.html
balch_heidi.jpg
2674913700045078242S200x200Q85.jpg

Warning - Postmortem Photo At Link
http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums...70871690045078242S600x600Q851_zps21fc68c0.jpg

In Heidi's photo, you can clearly see a mole on the left (viewer's right) side of the tip of her nose. Looking at the PIJD's postmortem photo, there might be something similar.

All of the vital stats, timeline, and geography look pretty reasonable.

I saw this MP a long time ago and thought she might be a good possible for Pope's Island Jane Doe. For some reason which I cannot recall, I moved on to other things.

But I just bumped into her case file again and realized that she might be worth looking into.

Heidi Balch
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/balch_heidi.html
balch_heidi.jpg
2674913700045078242S200x200Q85.jpg

Warning - Postmortem Photo At Link
http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums...70871690045078242S600x600Q851_zps21fc68c0.jpg

In Heidi's photo, you can clearly see a mole on the left (viewer's right) side of the tip of her nose. Looking at the PIJD's postmortem photo, there might be something similar.

All of the vital stats, timeline, and geography look pretty reasonable.

It looks promise by comparing between HB & UID. Close enough. Worth for submit it to NYPD.

It looks promise by comparing between HB & UID. Close enough. Worth for submit it to NYPD.

I left a message with Trooper Ann Marie Robertson of the Massachusetts State Police Detective Unit.

Jordan Marie Loucks
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1561dftx.html
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/4405

A long shot, particularly because she is recorded as having blue eyes not brown. However her previous surname (Niziol) is to the best of my knowledge Polish (Poland and Belarus share a small border) and she does have a truckdriver exboyfriend in her narrative.

If someone who is good at looking at underlying bone structure could compare her to the post mortem of Popes Island Jane Doe, I would be most grateful. She looks somewhat similar to me, but that may be down to them being of similar genetic stock.

Jordan Marie Loucks
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1561dftx.html
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/4405

A long shot, particularly because she is recorded as having blue eyes not brown. However her previous surname (Niziol) is to the best of my knowledge Polish (Poland and Belarus share a small border) and she does have a truckdriver exboyfriend in her narrative.

If someone who is good at looking at underlying bone structure could compare her to the post mortem of Popes Island Jane Doe, I would be most grateful. She looks somewhat similar to me, but that may be down to them being of similar genetic stock.

From what I can see, they do look similar, but it's pretty difficult to compare their bone point-by-point with that much of a difference in camera angles.

The circumstances are what hang me up on this. Granted, Jordan Loucks' boyfriend was a trucker, and consequently, she could have ended up anywhere, but if he is dumping all of her belongings in Texas (i.e., the state from where she disappeared), he probably already killed her by that point. It's hard to imagine him taking her from TX to MA, shooting her 10 times and dumping her in the harbor in New Bedford MA, and then coming back to TX to dump all of her belongings.

As I was typing this message, I got the call back from Trooper Robertson. She says that they ruled-out Heidi Balch on fingerprints.

I asked her if she could put a rule-out list in PIJD's NamUs case file. She said that that would be a good idea, and she will ask her people to do that.

BTW, here is the NamUs case file for PIJD.
NamUs UP Case 7253 https://identifyus.org/cases/7253

Popes Island Jane Doe and Tolland Jane Doe are the only two Massachusetts cases in NamUs.

I also suggested to her that they upload the postmortem photo to NamUs, since it is not that unusual for postmortem photos to be publicly displayed there. I also mentioned that I had done a facial reconstruction that IMO was more representative of PIJD than the image shown in DoeNet. She told me to forward it to her and if she liked it, she would look into using it in any future publicity with regard to this case.

Nice work, Carl. You're an excellent advocate for the missing and unidentified. The families on both sides are lucky to have you.

Continuing with my recent project of revising some of my older reconstructions that I didn't think were very accurate, here is a redo of my Popes Island Jane Doe recon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back