MA MA - New Bedford, "Popes Island Jane Doe", WhtFem 30-45, UP7253, emerald ring from Belarus, Oct'96

I had the mod replace all instances of my previous image with my most recent version.

Notwithstanding the poor view that they provide of of her hair, I think I have a reasonable bead on how her hairstyle looked. One thing I just recently noticed in the PM photo that I found interesting, is that she has two very thin locks of braided hair hanging from her temple. I am not sure if that is a peculiar feature associated with her nationality, or perhaps her religion. I know that some in sects in orthodox Judaism, the males wear thin braids that hang from the temples. I'm not aware of females styling their hair like that.

Egad. That last revision looks like a woman I used to work with, who went back to Russia with her husband a few years ago. I don't think it's her, because I'm pretty sure I saw her after 1996, but you've sure nailed the ethnic resemblance.

The thin braids at the temple are a trick women with long hair use to keep it out of their faces without having to braid or tail the rest of their hair. Normally they'd be pulled back and fastened on top or back of the head, or tipped with a small bit of jewelry or ribbon. They were in style in the 90's if I recall, even with medium length hair like hers.

Egad. That last revision looks like a woman I used to work with, who went back to Russia with her husband a few years ago. I don't think it's her, because I'm pretty sure I saw her after 1996, but you've sure nailed the ethnic resemblance.

The thin braids at the temple are a trick women with long hair use to keep it out of their faces without having to braid or tail the rest of their hair. Normally they'd be pulled back and fastened on top or back of the head, or tipped with a small bit of jewelry or ribbon. They were in style in the 90's if I recall, even with medium length hair like hers.

My Russian colleague has been accounted for. Whew!

You're right, of course Charlie....This happens all the time over there. People in the west do not hear about it very often unless the story the journalist was working on has international "implications" (Chechen war, anything that criticizes Putin-LOL!)

If she was a journalist this would account for her appearance: well groomed, traditional attitude toward women's grooming (unshaven) but clean, neat in appearance, etc.
As a woman, I couldn't help but notice her "groomed" eyebrows. She had spent money on eyebrow shaping/waxing. A reporter used to being on TV might do that.

The Chechen connection seems a lot more plausible after the marathon bombings.

Also, it was mentioned a couple of times upthread about her unshaven legs indicating European origin. While I think that's likely, there are also American women who don't shave their legs or underarms -- mostly women who wear pants and longer-sleeved shirts all the time. If you're never in a skirt or tank top or swimsit, there's no reason to shave.

And she's in Namus now https://identifyus.org/en/cases/7253

Exclusions
The following people have been ruled out as being this decedent:

First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA

Debra Cressotti 1955 Massachusetts
Tiffany Sessions 1968 Florida
Nadine Timm 1935 Illinois
Robin Veudreuil 1963 Massachusetts
Colleen Voitik McHugh 1963 Illinois

I was looking at the Interpol site, and came across this woman from Belarus:

NATALIA DALIDOVICH

http://www.interpol.int/notice/search/missing/2013-60792

3d07c02b-009a-4c68-92f7-a06347693c00.jpg

Present family name: DALIDOVICH
Forename: NATALIA
Sex: Female
Date of birth: 23/11/1965 (49 years old)
Place of birth: MINSK , Belarus
Nationality: Belarus
Mother's family name & forename: SAMUSENKO TAMARA
Height: 1.5 meter
Colour of hair: Dark
Distinguishing marks and characteristics: Subject`s foot size: 36-37
Language spoken: Russian
Date of disappearance: 29/09/1996 When 30 years old
Place of disappearance: Minsk, Belarus

She was LKA only a month prior to the date Popes Island JD was found. And she is from Belarus to tie to the origin of the PIJD she was wearing.

I'm not seeing a real strong resemblance, but who is to know how much PIJD's appearance was changed by having been in the water.

NATALIA DALIDOVICH

She was LKA only a month prior to the date Popes Island JD was found. And she is from Belarus to tie to the origin of the PIJD she was wearing.

I'm not seeing a real strong resemblance, but who is to know how much PIJD's appearance was changed by having been in the water.
How to account for the roughly 5 year old root canal done in the US?

NATALIA DALIDOVICH

I think there's a fair resemblance but also question the root canal issue. Also, Doe Network says PIJD's fingerprints were run by Interpol, although I guess that only rules Natalia out if her prints were on file.

I do not think it likely this woman was homeless. The clothing can be easily explained. I grew up in New England. It is very common to buy and sell lightly used clothes at tag/yard/garage sales and in church basements (rummage/jumble sales). It is also common for acquaintances to GIVE piles of used clothes to other families if they think that they're needed. There are also a number of large, low-cost thrift stores in the Boston area and getting your clothes at thrifts is something of an institution. (The only thing "Yankees" love better are seconds and remainders.)

If you came to the US with nothing but a suitcase, then you would need to acquire a lot of clothing at low cost.

I know I've pointed this out before, but it might be worth repeating. There are a lot of Russian and Belorussian immigrants in NE. Many of them are illegals with ties to organized crime.

Today marks 19 years since her body was found. Hopefully, this will be the year she is identified and her killer is brought to justice.

This doe seems to have been killed unnecessarily brutally, it's really sad. Also, just my 2 cents, but she looks distinctly Russian or Belarusian, not just generally Eastern European - her look is distinct imo

Beata disappeared 9 years after JD was found.

Greetings everyone,

I've been following this case with some interest for a little while, and decided to join this forum. My nickname Lovky Plut simply the name in Russian of The Artful Dodger. The Jane Doe in Massachusettes fits the description of a woman from Belarus who went missing almost exactly two years earlier.
The early 1990's saw a massive flux of migrants heading to Moscow in the hopes of bettering their lot, or just simply disappear. It is likely that once in Moscow, she would have needed to find what's called 'a roof', or mafia protection. In order to maintain that roof, she would have been given work as a dancer, an entertainer for well heeled oligarchs and spoiled with vacations and other perks.
These backers likely had connections in Canada and the U.S., and she most probably first arrived in Canada before making her way to Boston via New Brunswick and Maine.
Her backers likely sold her to a partner stateside, and this would have probably been the last anyone ever saw of her again until she turned up dead in the marina. The face in the post mortem photo is unmistakably Russian.

http://mvd.gov.by/sm.aspx?guid=176433
Oksana Antonovna Branovitskaya

Branovitskaya, Oksana Antonovna, November 10,1974, resident of Molodechno. Date Missing: November 25, 1994. Last seen leaving home at around 2 PM, and to date her whereabouts are not known.
Description: 20 years old, of medium height, slim build, hair, light brown, wavy, long, oval face pale, forehead middle, straight, eyebrow lines, blue eyes, nose, middle, bridge of the nose straight, the base horizontal, mouth, lips, Middle chin line. Special features: none. She wore: a coat of faux fur black, black faux suede dress shoes.
The natural hair colour of Oksana and Jane Doe are the same as are most of the physical descriptor, except for the distinctive emerald ring. I called the investigator in Minsk regarding Oksana and forwarded him the info on the Pope's Island case. He confirmed that Oksana is still classified as a missing person, ie, not a murder investigation despite the time elapsed. A missing persons report in the former U.S.S.R will indicate the article of the Criminal Code under which a missing persons investigation is being carried out.

It's likely too, that she was using her Soviet identification papers and passport. If she was travelling within the former USSR, ie from Moscow to Minsk, she would have received a migration card when she bought her ticket, and be required to register her arrival in another city within three days. Travel within the former USSR could be very cumbersome, and would have made it very difficult for her to get from place to place undetected without leaving a trace as she likely did without some sort of backers.
or, she could have gone to any country in Europe, where she would be furnished with forged or doctored passport from another country that did not have a visa regime with Canada. This is highly possible, as most of the security features that are standard procedure today, had not yet been implemented. All indications suggest that she landed there first before entering the U.S., and arrived via one of the Maritime provinces.

With all of the recent talk about Washoe County Jane Doe (i.e., a possibly European female UID), I was reminded of this case involving a possibly Eastern European or Russian woman which hasn't attracted much discussion. I don't have any possible matches for this case, but maybe our newbie expert on Eastern European matters might be interested in this case.

The Doe Network:
Case File 174UFMA
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/174ufma.html

174UFMA.jpg

Sketch of Victim by David R. Wood
WARNING: POSTMORTEM PHOTO AT LINK:
http://inlinethumb40.webshots.com/20839/2070871690045078242S600x600Q85.jpg

Unidentified White Female

* Located on October 30, 1996 in New Bedford, Bristol County, Massachusetts.
* Cause of death was homicide. The victim had been hit in the face and head and shot a dozen times.

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 30 - 45 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'2"; 127 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Shoulder-length hair, dyed strawberry blonde within a month of her killing. Her natural color was light brown. Brown/hazel eyes. Though her ears were pierced, she wore no earrings. Her toenails were painted but her fingernails were not. Her hands were not callused. She didn't shave her legs or her armpits. She was well groomed. She was petite and looked European.
* Dentals: Available. She'd had some dental work done, fillings and root canals, most judged by a forensics expert to be too poor in quality to have been done in the United States. But one root canal, less than five years old, was done in US.
* Clothing: A mustard-color long-sleeve turtleneck, size medium, made by Licorice, under a white pullover sweater. The sweater had multicolored rectangular designs. It was a size medium, brand name Oakbrook, probably bought mail-order a decade ago. Blue Levi's 521 jeans and black ankle High Lites high tie boots with chunky-style heels. Pantyhose, underwear and cotton socks.
* Jewelry: A gold ring with an emerald colored stone, with no inscription on her left ring finger. Experts say it comes from Belarus, part of the old Soviet Union.
* Fingerprints: Available
* AKA: "Popes Island Jane Doe"

174UFMA1.jpg

Ring worn by victim

I have forwarded the picture of the ring around to see if someone I know in Russia or Belarus could find more info on it.
There is still no central database for missing persons in the former Soviet Union. Missing persons cases are filed by the local authorities in the oblast, or region where the report was taken. For example, if this woman was missing from Grodno, the case would be filed by the local authorities in that town, and then posted on their website.

The problem is that none of these websites will have an English portal and navigating them requires a certain level of fluency, as Google Translate is useless when you want a coherent translation.
This case in question happened during a very turbulent political transition. That, coupled with the fact that the system for exchanging and receiving information was very poor, creating the perfect conditions for anyone to fall in the cracks unnoticed.

I will continue combing other databases and post any possible findings. I will do whatever I can to help give this woman back her name and patronymic.

Thank you for having me aboard.

Lovky Plut.

From the official information :
Clothing: A mustard-color long-sleeve turtleneck, size medium, made by Licorice, under a white pullover sweater. The sweater had multicolored rectangular designs. It was a size medium, brand name Oakbrook, probably bought mail-order a decade ago. Blue Levi's 521 jeans and black ankle High Lites high tie boots with chunky-style heels. Pantyhose, underwear and cotton socks.......
Investigators think things like the Russian ring, the unshaved legs, the poor dental work point to an immigrant from eastern Europe. The fact that checks of visas and immigration records of fingerprints and photos have turned up empty could mean an illegal immigrant.

My thoughts as a female -
Who wears pantyhose under jeans unless they are dressing for warmth?
What illegal immigrant gets clothing by mail order?

Pantyhose worn under a pair of Levi's jeans were a common fashion quirk of women from the former USSR, and still a very common sight today.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back