MA MA - Newburyport, WhtMale 11-17, UP11797, severely impacted molar, clothes, Nov'92

I think the face shapes are close, and the reconstruction looks similar to the photo. I don't think any individual features really match, but the whole thing together matches for me. Does that make sense? The recon on the far left really creeps me out. That nose just sticks out way too far.

links to those pictures doe network pages:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1371dmon.html
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1070umma.html

Kelvin doesn't have dentals listed.. so there's a chance he never had any work done. Also, Kelvin is 22 so it seems like his bone shafts would be fused.

Quite right, that would be the case with a healthy, well-nourished body growing normally. There are suggestions that this might not have been the case with Kelvin growing up and perhaps bone fusing was hindered by lack of proper diet and health care?

(snipped with respect)

Kelvin doesn't have dentals listed.. so there's a chance he never had any work done. Also, Kelvin is 22 so it seems like his bone shafts would be fused.

What about Alan Morse?

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/584/18?current_page=circumstances

Quite right, that would be the case with a healthy, well-nourished body growing normally. There are suggestions that this might not have been the case with Kelvin growing up and perhaps bone fusing was hindered by lack of proper diet and health care?

It seems odd to me that a kid in his early teens would have an impacted wisdom tooth that was actually protruding from the side of his gums. THAT sounds more like a kid in his early 20s... and the indication was that he'd never seen a dentist, right? This seems consistent with the poor nutrition suggested above. General lack of health care, dental care... suggests an impoverished background or a religious objection to obtaining health care for one's children.

Possible Matches, I tried to specifically look for missing children due to the UID's estimated age. (More possible names are bolded)
William Verne Downey, Clifton Patrick Leonard, Johnny Lee Mills,Walter Thomas Ackerson, Jeremy Doland Bright, Joseph David Helt, Mark Joseph Himebaugh

Walter Thomas Ackerson, missing since 1990 from Oregon:

7wvAwX2

Agree: The height is within the same ballpark.
The face really, reeeaaally looks alike in Reconstruction 1. I don't know what's up with the one on the right, it doesn't look like the one on the left.
Walter and the UID were apparently both in need of dental attention.

Contradictions:
Walter disappeared from Newport, Oregon, which is nowhere near where the UID was found.
Additionally, Walter was (supposedly) murdered and thrown into a bay that was (obviously) not near where the UID was found.
Walter was apparently beaten to death. Would those injuries not be visible?

"Johnny Lee Mills", missing since 1990 from Maryland Heights, MO:

NRUMdB9

Agree: Strong facial resemblance to the UID. Height also checks out.
Johnny, being an apparent runaway, could've made it to the area where the decedent's body was found and then die or be murdered.
The dental problems could be explained by Johnny running away and not having the money or time to fix them.

Disagree:
The location is way off, but there's more of a chance that Johnny would've somehow gotten to Massachusetts that Walter Ackerson.
Several bodies in the area where Johnny disappeared match his description, but they cannot be identified as Johnny's since he is technically unidentified himself (Alas, Johnny's given information was not real, what a horrible cycle. :banghead:)
Johnny may not be 13, all of the info he gave to the people at the runaway shelter he was staying was untrue. He looks a little younger to me.

Note: It's likely that the UID was a victim of child abuse/neglect. Just saying, it's something to consider due to the lack of dental work. Maybe the parents killed him and never reported him missing and he didn't have many other living relatives, kind of like the Precious Doe case a while ago.

Here's a new NamUs listing for skeletal child remains that I had not heard about before:

NamUs UP # 11797 https://identifyus.org/en/cases/11797

Unidentified White Child (Gender Unknown)

Found December 31, 1992 in Suffolk County Masachusetts

Vital Statistics

* Height: Undetermined
* Weight: Undetermined​

Condition of Remains
* Probable Year of Death: Undetermined
* Comments: Not recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton​

Circumstances
* Comments: Skeletal remains found outdoors​

Identifiers
* Dentals: Available And Entered (in NamUs)
* DNA: Sample available - Not yet submitted
* Fingerprints: "Available and Entered" (this is probably an error, as the remains are skeletal)​

Clothing
None Found​

I wish we knew where in Suffolk County this child was found. Suffolk includes Boston/Dorchester, as well as Winthrop, Revere, and Chelsea. If a child was a runaway, it's possible s/he could have ended up here, but it's an odd location to dispose of a body if you kidnapped a child from, say, Western Mass or NH. It would be like bringing a body to NYC from upstate NY.

Woburn is not *that* far from this area, but I'd be willing to bet that Melanie Melanson never got much farther away from where she was last seen. Also, she had braces on her teeth. I don't know, but wonder if there wouldn't be some remnants of braces on/near the skeleton?

I'm curious how firm they are on the age range. There are a few 9-year-olds missing from Suffolk County that might be worth a look.

The NamUs file was entered on 11/20/2013 and revised on 12/2/2013. Seems the case was opened with incorrect details and later revised.

FiveFelines----I was wondering that as well----had the body been moved a time or few.

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/19117/2/

A kid from Maine caught my attention. The info said a waist band from underwear and pockets from jeans so I'm assuming he may have been there a while. Roger has a defect in the tip of one finger but those little bones easily go missing over time (in the woods) so maybe they didn't have it.

Status Missing

First name
Roger
Middle name
Merton
Last name
Day
Nickname/Alias
NCMEC number
Date last seen
October 04, 1973 00:00
Date entered
01/31/2013
Age last seen
14 to 14 years old
Age now
55 years old
Race
White
Ethnicity
Sex
Male
Height (inches)
Weight (pounds)

Roger

UID
1070UMMA.jpg

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/19117/2/

A kid from Maine caught my attention. The info said a waist band from underwear and pockets from jeans so I'm assuming he may have been there a while. Roger has a defect in the tip of one finger but those little bones easily go missing over time (in the woods) so maybe they didn't have it.

Status Missing

First name
Roger
Middle name
Merton
Last name
Day
Nickname/Alias
NCMEC number
Date last seen
October 04, 1973 00:00
Date entered
01/31/2013
Age last seen
14 to 14 years old
Age now
55 years old
Race
White
Ethnicity
Sex
Male
Height (inches)
Weight (pounds)

I see the likeness in the image, but the timing is off. The UID was found with Reebok sneakers. They weren't introduced in the US until the 1980's. The UID is listed as 11 to 14 years old. Roger Day was 14 when he went missing in 1973. He would not have been wearing Reebok sneakers in 1973 when he went missing at age 14.

Good point - I was wondering to myself why they wouldn't have dated the clothing if it had been that much older, although mens' clothing (underwear /jeans) doesn't change much I don't think. Shoes do change though.

The info on different listings changes though so I figured I'd throw it out there.

He was found really close to where I live :( It's true that he could be from anywhere. I always think about how that highway could take a person anywhere along the east coast. I've traveled all the way south to Florida and as far as Northern Maine on it.

I remember the day he was found. There's nothing there along that stretch of 95, even though he wasn't very far south of Rte 133, which is pretty residential to the west and very commercial to the east. A man had stopped to urinate by the side of the interstate and just randomly stumbled upon the remains, which were likely dumped from a car on the highway, rather than carried in through the woods from the other direction. There were a few stories in the local paper, the Newburyport Daily News, but then nothing. Very little local curiosity. On the few sites with detail, his age range spans 11 to 20, his height 5'6 to 5' 11. But his Levi's were a 30 inseam, so it seems unlikely he could have been much taller than 5'6, and even then wouldn't the jeans have been very short? Someone here mentioned the impacted wisdom tooth, but details say it was an impacted molar, so I'm guessing not necessarily a wisdom tooth. To have lived with that dental pain.... My son lost his last baby molar at age 12, so I'm wondering if this young man was on the younger side of the age range, and perhaps the impacted molar had recently descended, albeit askew. I'm also wondering about the difference between a 32 inch waist, but a 30 inseam. Would that mean he was a little chubby? Maybe carrying some of the pudge boys reserve for the growth spurt of puberty? It's just very sad that he is out there in the woods and then the databases all alone, and that there doesn't seem to be much local interest in identifying him, as if he were tossed away twice.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back