Identified! MA - Provincetown, Race Point, 'Lady in the Dunes' WhtFem 27-49, UP11840, Jul'74 - Ruth Marie Terry

I wonder if they didn't make a recording error on those jeans. 34 inch waist is HUGE, absolutely HUGE.

I wonder if they just measured the opening of the waist instead of looking at the tag for the size? Because back then in the 70s didn't they wear their jeans much closer to their hips? I mean they obviously didn't wear them on the widest part of their hips because that would be halfway down their butt, but the measurement would be halfway between their waist size and their hip size.

If my theory is correct than the smallest part of her waist (ESPECIALLY if she were athletic) was much closer to 28 inches. I would say pants size she's probably a lot closer to an 8 than a 20 (She'd be about a size twenty if her waist measurement really was 34)

I'm thinking the "34 waist, 31 legs" part is supposed to go after the "jeans were found at the scene" part. I doubt it's standard procedure to take an inseam measurement on a deceased person.

I wonder if they didn't make a recording error on those jeans. 34 inch waist is HUGE, absolutely HUGE.

I wonder if they just measured the opening of the waist instead of looking at the tag for the size? Because back then in the 70s didn't they wear their jeans much closer to their hips? I mean they obviously didn't wear them on the widest part of their hips because that would be halfway down their butt, but the measurement would be halfway between their waist size and their hip size.

If my theory is correct than the smallest part of her waist (ESPECIALLY if she were athletic) was much closer to 28 inches. I would say pants size she's probably a lot closer to an 8 than a 20 (She'd be about a size twenty if her waist measurement really was 34)

Depending on the cut of the jeans (if they were men's jean) 34" might be closer to the decedent's hip measurement.

I also have doubts on Amy being Lady in the Dunes, but I was wondering if an official rule out has ever been made, since there are things that match up, and it has been brought up so many times. Does anyone know?

I was unable to locate a case file for Lady in the Dunes on NAMUS. Is there a chance Amy Billig was never checked against her?

Maybe the jeans were hip-hugger type which would have made for a larger waist measurement. Like the lowrise jeans we have now.

I think this might be her NamUs file, but the date doesn't line up 100% (everything else seems similar) --

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/11840

I also think this is her, although I am surprised they do not have any reconstructions of her. The Doe Network has many. They also don't have a rule-out list:/ I'm tempted to e-mail the case manager on there about Amy or LITD to see if they have been compared. There was also a lot of talk about Amy and her, so it would be nice just to see it officially ruled out so that theory can be put to rest.

Maybe the jeans were hip-hugger type which would have made for a larger waist measurement. Like the lowrise jeans we have now.

In 1974, you'd have been hard pressed to find jeans that weren't low rise :) Most likely the 34" measurement is what many places call "high hip," just above the hip bones. She's variously described as "athletic build" or "robust build," so she wasn't a thin woman, and 34" seems quite plausible.

The rumor that she was a girlfriend of Whitey Bulger's resurfaced during the recent trial, but if names were mentioned, it didn't make it into the news reports.

When dealing with Massachusetts law enforcement, it's safe to assume obvious and frequently suggested possibilities, like Billig as the victim and Haden as the killer, have been investigated. It is also safe to assume that they won't say anything about it, post information in a public place, or release a statement to the public, unless they're forced to.

I wonder if a Freedom of Information act request would do any good.

Wow - I guess I never paid much attention to the age range. I never realized that she might be closer to 40 than to 20.

Seems like most of the possible matches so far are in their early 20s.

Wow - I guess I never paid much attention to the age range. I never realized that she might be closer to 40 than to 20.

Seems like most of the possible matches so far are in their early 20s.

My understanding is that with adult women, it's very difficult to determine a specific age in most cases. There aren't a lot of markers between "bones and teeth are adult" and "arthritis and such setting in."

Would Vickie Lamberton be too big of a stretch due to weight?

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/4933/8

img_6414.jpeg

-Estranged from husband
-Missing from MA since 2/1974
-5'2" - 5'4" but in the low 110s for weight
-light brown hair

Or maybe Brenda Sue Lefler, auburn hair, hazel eyes, 5'7", 130lbs... missing from FL since 5/1974, "For the family of Brenda Sue Lefler, 31, of Greenacres City, it`s a long, emotional wait. Lefler was last seen on May 2, 1974. She left a note saying she was running off with her boyfriend but left behind her purse, clothes, credit cards and insulin needed to treat her diabetes. Investigators and family think she probably was murdered, the victim of a love triangle."
http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/19...ings-investigators-and-family-custody-matters
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/22798/4

When dealing with Massachusetts law enforcement, it's safe to assume obvious and frequently suggested possibilities, like Billig as the victim and Haden as the killer, have been investigated. It is also safe to assume that they won't say anything about it, post information in a public place, or release a statement to the public, unless they're forced to.

I wonder if a Freedom of Information act request would do any good.
Such a shame that information on decades-old COLD cases continues to be suppressed - despite law enforcement being able to make any headway. You're right though…This seems to be the case, particularly for Massachusetts.

moo

I feel kind of two ways about it. On the one hand I agree with you. But on the other hand, this is still an active case and they are diligently pursuing even very feeble leads. But I don't see how releasing a list of ruleouts could hurt.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back