GUILTY MA - Rebecca Riley, 4, dies of drug OD, Hull, 13 Dec 2006

Medical expert disagrees on cause of 4-year-old girl's death

February 3, 2010 03:10 PM

By Patricia Wen, Globe Staff

A medical expert who testified on behalf of Carolyn Riley, a South Shore woman accused of giving fatal overdoses of psychotropic drugs to her 4-year-old daughter, told jurors this morning that he believed that the girl actually died of an “atypical pneumonia.”

The first defense witness in Riley's murder trial, Dr. Jonathan Arden, former deputy chief of the medical examiner’s office in New York City, testified that his examination of Rebecca Riley’s lung tissue showed vast areas of dead tissue from this “necrotizing” pneumonia, and that he believes the invading bacteria was mycoplasma.

He said the child would have probably had some fever and cough prior to the rapid takeover of this bacterial illness, though he did not specify exactly how long she would have shown signs of grave illness. Arden said this rapid-developing pneumonia killed her, and not, as prosecutors allege, a toxic mix of prescription mood-altering drugs.

Medical experts testifying for the prosecution had testified earlier that the girl’s levels of clonidine – a sedative she was given by her mother largely to help induce sleep – were life-threatening.

Two doctors - Dr. Elizabeth Bundock, the medical examiner who conducted the child’s autopsy, and Dr. Michele Burns Ewald, a pediatrician who specializes in poison control at Children’s Hospital – told jurors that Rebecca’s blood levels of clonidine alone were high enough to kill her. Tests showed that the girl had 12 nanograms per milliliter of clonidine in her blood, while the therapeutic range is 0.5 to 4.5 nanograms per milliliter, they said.

more here

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/02/by_patricia_wen.html

Prosecution rests in Massachusetts overdose trial

Updated: Wednesday, 03 Feb 2010, 3:20 PM EST
Published : Wednesday, 03 Feb 2010, 3:20 PM EST

Prosecutors have finished presenting their case in the trial of a mother accused of giving her 4-year-old daughter a fatal overdose of prescription drugs.

Prosecutors rested their case Wednesday morning after playing videtaped interviews Carolyn Riley did with police.

The defense was expected to begin its case Wednesday afternoon.

more here

http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/local/prosecution-rests-in-massachusetts-overdose-trial-25-apx

Rebecca_20090223122635375_640_480.JPG

I'd like to weigh in on this as it cuts close to home for me in many ways. I have three adult sons with bipolar, a ten year old granddaughter with bipolar and have raised multiple children requiring heavy duty psychotropics to maintain a quality of life and to remain in a family home. I'm the type of Mom that rarely hands out a Tylenol. The decision to medicate was not an easy one for me.

Quite bluntly put, Rebecca was killed by the negligence of a number of people. We know much more about bipolar than we did several years ago and it is definitely true that toddlers are being diagnosed more than ever. It's correct that Childhood Onset Bipolar looks nothing like Adult Onset Bipolar. These kids look far more like they have ADHD and Oppositional Defiant Disorder. They are challenging kids. Doctors are caving into parents' requests to "do something" far more often and children in foster care are being diagnosed with greater frequency. Remember, doctors are having these meds pushed on them relentlessly by the pharmaceutical companies.

Let's look at Rebecca for a minute. It is a known fact that all childhood disorders can be triggered and/or exacerbated by a chaotic homelife, domestic violence, and prenatal drug exposure. Show me a group of positive tox screen babies, and I'll bet you big bucks that they'll require some form of psychotropic to maintain in a family home and a regular school. Chemicals caused them to be hard-wired differently and chemicals will most likely be required to maintain them the rest of their lives. This does not mean, however, that some of these disorders don't literally come at kids in wonderful homes from left field. There's so much we don't know. I just know that Rebecca and her siblings are/were at great risk.

We know that little Rebecca was born into the type of home life which I just described. Per the police reports, it does not surprise me in the least that she was put on:

750 milligrams a day of Depakote
200 milligrams a day of Seroquel
.35 milligrams a day of Clonidine

Here's a link to a current article concerning the growing use of these meds for tiny ones, which actually mentions Rebecca:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE60E0NC20100115

I think everyone should read this as this is what pediatricians are being taught right now and what parents are hearing when they report worrisome behaviors to the children's doctors. Many people's (mine included) knee-jerk reaction was, "What? No way!!" I think the jury is still out and parents must precede with great caution.

All this said, I'd like to add that Rebecca's case did not follow "best practices". IMO, this family was negligent due to drug use in the home. They clearly put their needs ahead of their child. This doctor put some powerful meds at some very high doses in these people's hands and didn't follow through the way our pediatricians and neurologists have.

We have a 20 year old son, a highly gifted athlete and college student, who took Clonidine from the time he was four for a disorder called Episodic Dyscontrol Syndrome. He would be absolutely fine and happy and fly into screaming rages and argue for hours. He was prenatally exposed to crack cocaine. He had to undergo a full six months of tests and studies at OHSU (EEG's, MRI, psych eval) before he was given the Clonidine.

Clonidine changed our lives. I'll bet if you asked our entire family, they'd all remember the day S started his Clonidine as he became a different little boy--loving, gentle, silly. It was like someone took the monkey off his back. We knew that it had dangers. We knew he had to have an echo-cardiogram every year. We knew to watch him carefully as he became a more active athlete. We knew that it was a blood pressure med for adults being used off-label but it worked. He actually weaned himself off it at age 17 and has been fine for 3 years. It's as if he grew out of his behavior problems with Clonidine taking the edge off for him.

I know psychotropics can be a lifesaver. I also know that if I'd been a drug-user or my husband was violent towards me, I could have over-drugged my boy. Many of these meds make a child sleepy and how tempting is that when you just want to be left alone? We used to go through so much trouble to cut his pills into 1/8s. That's how carefully you have to dose. Too little and the rages came back. Too much and the child would sleep for a whole day. We had to be especially careful when he was sick (like Rebecca) as the meds can mask symptoms.

I am very disappointed that Rebecca didn't get the care that our son did. And being on public assistance is no excuse as our son used a medical card also, due to his special needs adoptive status.

When I look at the doses that little Rebecca was on, I cringe. She was taking the amount of Depakote and Seroquel that many adults take. She was a toddler and was taking four times the amount of Clonidine our 17 year old son took. I have many concerns about children being on any of these meds as they seem to be a panacea--a quick fix with a sedative effect. Admittedly they work wonders for some children with caring parents and "present" physicians but they can also be a great danger.

I also wonder what doctors expect these children to do when they reach age 18 and have no insurance. The meds this little girl was on cost somewhere between $300-750/month!! How is a young adult with an entry level job and no insurance going to afford that? And when children, in the system, take these drugs, is this the best use of taxpayer dollars? We've brought this issue up again and again as we see children in the foster care system being placed on these meds as they struggle moving from home to home. Seriously, all it takes is a 30 minute psychiatry consult. It's absolutely amazing how many of the kids can stop the meds once they get into a stable and permanent placement. That tells me that environment and family stressors are playing a huge part in this disorder.

What's wrong with parent training, behavior modification, and therapy to see if it works first? Let's not just blithely hand our kids over to the pharmaceutical companies without a fight and trying every alternative first. Rebecca deserved far better care.

Once again, these are truly miracle drugs......in the right hands.

All of Rebecca's siblings were on medication that were adult levels. Rebecca's day care providers had to carry her in her final days because her muscles were twitching and she was so weak. Rebecca's parent's roommate testified that the child was given sedatives to make her quiet because her father demanded it and her mother was too lazy or reluctant to take her to a pediatrician. Her final hours were spent calling for her mother....so her parents "graciously" allowed her to sleep on the floor next to their bed where she died.

I hate this story. I believe they were overmedicating her for the money. Absolutely.

MissIzzy, just to be clear, the motive in this case was that these parents "created" children with disabilities in order to collect SSDI.

Mom here has an issue with her mental acuity that is well documented-apparently Dad and adult roomate are simply the devils spawn. Sorry, that wasnt very nice of me.

I'd like to weigh in on this as it cuts close to home for me in many ways. I have three adult sons with bipolar, a ten year old granddaughter with bipolar and have raised multiple children requiring heavy duty psychotropics to maintain a quality of life and to remain in a family home. I'm the type of Mom that rarely hands out a Tylenol. The decision to medicate was not an easy one for me.

Quite bluntly put, Rebecca was killed by the negligence of a number of people. We know much more about bipolar than we did several years ago and it is definitely true that toddlers are being diagnosed more than ever. It's correct that Childhood Onset Bipolar looks nothing like Adult Onset Bipolar. These kids look far more like they have ADHD and Oppositional Defiant Disorder. They are challenging kids. Doctors are caving into parents' requests to "do something" far more often and children in foster care are being diagnosed with greater frequency. Remember, doctors are having these meds pushed on them relentlessly by the pharmaceutical companies.

Let's look at Rebecca for a minute. It is a known fact that all childhood disorders can be triggered and/or exacerbated by a chaotic homelife, domestic violence, and prenatal drug exposure. Show me a group of positive tox screen babies, and I'll bet you big bucks that they'll require some form of psychotropic to maintain in a family home and a regular school. Chemicals caused them to be hard-wired differently and chemicals will most likely be required to maintain them the rest of their lives. This does not mean, however, that some of these disorders don't literally come at kids in wonderful homes from left field. There's so much we don't know. I just know that Rebecca and her siblings are/were at great risk.

We know that little Rebecca was born into the type of home life which I just described. Per the police reports, it does not surprise me in the least that she was put on:

750 milligrams a day of Depakote
200 milligrams a day of Seroquel
.35 milligrams a day of Clonidine

Here's a link to a current article concerning the growing use of these meds for tiny ones, which actually mentions Rebecca:

I think everyone should read this as this is what pediatricians are being taught right now and what parents are hearing when they report worrisome behaviors to the children's doctors. Many people's (mine included) knee-jerk reaction was, "What? No way!!" I think the jury is still out and parents must precede with great caution.

All this said, I'd like to add that Rebecca's case did not follow "best practices". IMO, this family was negligent due to drug use in the home. They clearly put their needs ahead of their child. This doctor put some powerful meds at some very high doses in these people's hands and didn't follow through the way our pediatricians and neurologists have.

We have a 20 year old son, a highly gifted athlete and college student, who took Clonidine from the time he was four for a disorder called Episodic Dyscontrol Syndrome. He would be absolutely fine and happy and fly into screaming rages and argue for hours. He was prenatally exposed to crack cocaine. He had to undergo a full six months of tests and studies at OHSU (EEG's, MRI, psych eval) before he was given the Clonidine.

Clonidine changed our lives. I'll bet if you asked our entire family, they'd all remember the day S started his Clonidine as he became a different little boy--loving, gentle, silly. It was like someone took the monkey off his back. We knew that it had dangers. We knew he had to have an echo-cardiogram every year. We knew to watch him carefully as he became a more active athlete. We knew that it was a blood pressure med for adults being used off-label but it worked. He actually weaned himself off it at age 17 and has been fine for 3 years. It's as if he grew out of his behavior problems with Clonidine taking the edge off for him.

I know psychotropics can be a lifesaver. I also know that if I'd been a drug-user or my husband was violent towards me, I could have over-drugged my boy. Many of these meds make a child sleepy and how tempting is that when you just want to be left alone? We used to go through so much trouble to cut his pills into 1/8s. That's how carefully you have to dose. Too little and the rages came back. Too much and the child would sleep for a whole day. We had to be especially careful when he was sick (like Rebecca) as the meds can mask symptoms.

I am very disappointed that Rebecca didn't get the care that our son did. And being on public assistance is no excuse as our son used a medical card also, due to his special needs adoptive status.

When I look at the doses that little Rebecca was on, I cringe. She was taking the amount of Depakote and Seroquel that many adults take. She was a toddler and was taking four times the amount of Clonidine our 17 year old son took. I have many concerns about children being on any of these meds as they seem to be a panacea--a quick fix with a sedative effect. Admittedly they work wonders for some children with caring parents and "present" physicians but they can also be a great danger.

I also wonder what doctors expect these children to do when they reach age 18 and have no insurance. The meds this little girl was on cost somewhere between $300-750/month!! How is a young adult with an entry level job and no insurance going to afford that? And when children, in the system, take these drugs, is this the best use of taxpayer dollars? We've brought this issue up again and again as we see children in the foster care system being placed on these meds as they struggle moving from home to home. Seriously, all it takes is a 30 minute psychiatry consult. It's absolutely amazing how many of the kids can stop the meds once they get into a stable and permanent placement. That tells me that environment and family stressors are playing a huge part in this disorder.

What's wrong with parent training, behavior modification, and therapy to see if it works first? Let's not just blithely hand our kids over to the pharmaceutical companies without a fight and trying every alternative first. Rebecca deserved far better care.

Once again, these are truly miracle drugs......in the right hands.

:clap: :clap: Great post! a "thanks" isn't enough!

ADD- Just to make a point here for anyone who is not familiar with these meds- 200 mgs of Seroquel used to make me sleep so hard that I would pi$$ the bed... nothing could wake me. and I'm 5'5" 125lbs.. I can't imagine a child all geeked up!

The defense toxicologist testified that the Rebecca died of pneumonia, but also demonstrated a GLARING lack of knowledge regarding this case. SNIP:
The final defense witness was David Benjamin, a Chestnut Hill forensic toxicologist and private consultant who testified that medications played no role in Rebecca Riley’s death.

During his testimony today, Benjamin also displayed at times an incomplete understanding of the case.

For instance, Benjamin testified that vomit had been flowing from the girl’s mouth and nose when she died on Dec. 13, 2006, saying he relied on reports filed by paramedics at the scene.

“There is a mouth full of vomit,” declared Benjamin before jurors.

However, prosecutor Middleton pointed out that medical reports since then, including the autopsy report, showed that the red-pink foamy substance on her face was lung fluid from a pulmonary edema, not the contents of the girl’s stomach, as paramedics and other observers first thought when they saw the child’s body.

When shown a large photograph of the girl’s body, with this pink-red fluid on her face, Benjamin acknowledged that the liquid substance could potentially be fluid from a pulmonary edema.

The finding of such fluid is significant because medical experts for both the prosecution and defense have testified that pulmonary edema is often a sign of drug overdose.

Snip

pulmonary edema...to such a degree that the paramedics thought the girl was vomiting.

HEAD SHAKIN.
http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/02/_by_patricia_we.html

Believe--Trust me, I understand the motive. I also firmly believe that Rebecca was probably a challenged/challenging child through no fault of her own. I have no doubt that she had some behavior issues that would have been easily handled in a "settled" home. But I get it. I haven't been working within the system this long and not figured this one out.

I can't go into too much detail as I'm talking about a foster child but we've seen something very similar with a child we've worked with. She is a little girl who was born with some challenges. However, she has had over 20 placements in her 15 years and she has suffered a number of almost lethal overdoses. Certain people wanted her complacent and quiet and out of their hair.

Well we don't!!!! This kid is off all meds and is a delight. She's "feeling" for the first time in her life. She has the normal ups and downs of any teen but she's no longer numb and dull. She's not falling asleep in school or drooling. She's alive. I cannot tell you all what a joy this has been to watch.

I also cannot express how difficult it was to "buck the system" to get her off the meds. She was taking over $500/month in meds (thank you Oregon tax payers) which is now a thing of the past. The doctors were so ready with that prescription pad. We asked them to trust us on this one and they have. It's looking very much like we might be right on this call.

I believe that Rebecca's story should be told to all parents--birth, adoptive, and foster. Abuse is not only meted out with the belt, hurtful words, the withholding of food, the fist, or with sex and control....it's also through a pill bottle. We need to be watchful.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/02/jurors_in_riley.html

One down, Rebecca. Dad is being tried separately.

MissIzz, I dont think there is any evidence that supports this child was anything other than a normal 2 year old-all stories regarding her behavior was anecdotal by her parents.

Drugs like this are not for infants, toddlers...children in general. They have not been studied on a growing brain and central nervous system. They should be a very very last resort. I can say this knowing-I have a child in my extended family who is special in every sense of the word and there are some non traditional meds that have made her life much much better at the tender age of now 11, previously 7 when she started the process. They are also very poisonous to her system and she is monitored closely every 3 weeks with blood work. She has siblings that do not share any part of her profile.

It is also worth noting that she lives on sugar, fats, caffeine and white flour which if you have any sense of the possible dietary associations with autism/adhd/spectrum stuff, you can see how she is likely being affected with her food intake.

But I digress-This poor baby died at 4 years of age of pulmonary edema with a pull up diaper on and her own teddy bear that she put under her own head on the floor next to her parents bed. Calling for her mommy.

I cannot speak for any of the Riley's, but I am certain that there are several people who would like to hear Rebecca's voice call out to them just one more time at least....this was preventable. And the prescribing DR should have known her patient but more importantly her patients family Much Much better. JMVHO.

Jurors outraged by psychiatrist’s conduct
Felt she should share culpability in toddler’s death

BROCKTON - The jury that convicted a South Shore woman this week of killing her 4-year-old daughter with an overdose of psychotropic drugs was also outraged by the conduct of the child’s psychiatrist and hoped the doctor would be held responsible in some way for the girl’s death, according to several jurors interviewed a day after the verdict.

“Every one of us was very angry,’’ said one juror, who requested anonymity to avoid retaliation for her role in Tuesday’s second-degree murder conviction of Carolyn Riley. “Dr. Kifuji should be sitting in the defendant’s chair, too.’’

Another juror said that while the 12-member panel found that the 35-year-old mother was primarily responsible for Rebecca’s death, many jurors were “off the wall’’ when they heard the testimony of Dr. Kayoko Kifuji of Tufts Medical Center. She said they were struck by how quickly Kifuji diagnosed Rebecca with bipolar and hyperactivity disorders, as well as how little the doctor seemed to supervise the mother’s dispensing of medications.

“It blew me away,’’ said that juror, who asked to remain unidentified for fear of reprisals.
While Kifuji’s attorney defended the psychiatrist and said jurors saw “only pieces of the full extent of diagnosis and treatment’’ of the girl, several jurors said they feel Kifuji bears some responsibility for the child’s overdose of psychiatric drugs, which were dispensed by a troubled mother.
The psychiatrist will not face criminal prosecution. A grand jury last summer declined to indict her, and Kifuji testified in Carolyn Riley’s trial only after being granted immunity from prosecution.

With her Boston attorney, Bruce Singal, at her side in court, Kifuji had initially declined to testify by invoking her right against self-incrimination. That move forced the government to grant her immunity as the only way to compel her to testify.

more here

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...ged_by_psychiatrists_conduct/?s_campaign=8315

i dont have any clue how a 4 year old could be bi-polar.
add or adhd yes....bi polar i find that absurd.
and what that has to do with the murder of a 4 year old anyways, i dont know.

i dont have any clue how a 4 year old could be bi-polar.
add or adhd yes....bi polar i find that absurd.
and what that has to do with the murder of a 4 year old anyways, i dont know.

This is one of THREE children in the Riley household diagnosed with bi polar. It is completely and utterly ludicrous. AGREED.

The Rileys were living well off of the SSDI checks of their children-Rebecca's claim was turned down twice, but they were continuing to appeal the rulings. Their sons have been continually dosed with the same meds-wonder if an independent third party is reconsidering or has reconsidered their diagnoses as well....and backed them off of the stupifying doses of meds they have been receiving.

This is all my take on the case-it was the perfect storm kind of like Michael Jackson. This family and this DR were made for each other, but in the end Rebecca paid the price.

ITA with all of you. I think the blame needs to be laid directly on the lap of the pharmaceutical companies. I'm going to link to two articles which I really hope people will spend a couple of minutes reading:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123544191

For those of us on the frontline with kids with mental health issues, this is earth-shakingly important. I truly believe that all WSers who have an interest in childhood and adolescent behavior, these two links are a "must read".

Prosecutor: Dad eyed in daughter’s murder shed no tears
By Marie Szaniszlo
Tuesday, March 9, 2010

A frustrated Michael Riley complained about some missing change but never shed a tear after he and his wife woke to find their 4-year-old daughter dead on their bedroom floor, prosecutors said today.

In opening arguments today in Riley’s murder trial, Assistant District Attorney Frank Middleton said when authorities arrived at the defendant’s Hull apartment on Dec. 13, 2006, he asked them, “How long is this going to take?” He then tried to grab the bottle of Clonidine that allegedly poisoned his daughter from an officer’s hand, Middleton added.

“He was completely unemotional, never shed a tear,” Middleton said, showing the jury a large, graphic photo of a dead Rebecca Riley with something oozing out of her mouth and nose.

“He’s mad he’s missing $1.75 from the house. ... He’s gonna sue the cops. He tells neighbors, ‘Well, maybe now we’ll get Section 8 housing,’ ” Middleton said.

Michael and Carolyn Riley concocted an “evil scheme” to collect more Social Security benefits by fabricating their daughter’s mental illness symptoms the prosecutor said.

more here

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1238508

trying hard not to get a timeout here.

let him rot in hell

This is one that I wish I hadn't read.

Michael Riley convicted in drug OD death of 4-year-old daughter

BROCKTON — A man accused along with his wife of giving their 4-year-old daughter a lethal prescription drug overdose to keep her quiet has been convicted of first-degree murder.

Thirty-seven-year-old Michael Riley was found guilty today in the December 2006 death of his daughter, Rebecca. His wife, Carolyn, was convicted of second-degree murder last month.

Michael Riley faces an automatic sentence of life in prison without parole.

more here

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1242574

Michael Riley convicted in drug OD death of 4-year-old daughter

BROCKTON — A man accused along with his wife of giving their 4-year-old daughter a lethal prescription drug overdose to keep her quiet has been convicted of first-degree murder.

Thirty-seven-year-old Michael Riley was found guilty today in the December 2006 death of his daughter, Rebecca. His wife, Carolyn, was convicted of second-degree murder last month.

Michael Riley faces an automatic sentence of life in prison without parole.

more here

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1242574

:woohoo::woohoo:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member