MA - Remains of 3 infants found, Erika Murray charged, Blackstone, Sept 2014

[URL='https://twitter.com/AlyshaNBCBoston']Alysha Palumbo NBC10 Boston‏Verified account @AlyshaNBCBoston
Dr. Edersheim explains Murray would give “very childish & easily determined bad solutions” like the birth certificate scratched out & rewritten in pencil submitted to National Grid - that most people would know would be seen as a lie @NBC10Boston @NECN #Blackstone #HouseofHorrors

Alysha Palumbo NBC10 Boston‏Verified account @AlyshaNBCBoston
Dr. Edersheim: “She is in a chronic panic” while trying to placate Ray and care for the children @NBC10Boston @NECN #Blackstone #HouseofHorrors

Defense asks Dr. Edersheim how “Murray created 2 drastically different worlds for 2 sets of children” Dr. Edersheim says Murray’s mother was doing almost everything for the older 2 children because they were the only 2 she knew about @NBC10Boston @NECN #Blackstone #HouseofHorrors

[/URL]

Dr. Edersheim: when Murray’s 10yo boy started hanging out with neighborhood kids, he wasn’t being taken care of by Murray’s mother, so he started to resemble the younger two children @NBC10Boston @NECN #Blackstone #HouseofHorrors

Dr. Edersheim says Murray’s underrepresentation of the squalor in her home: “how flat, how unaware, how apathetic, how clueless she had become to the filth and what could happen” @NBC10Boston @NECN #Blackstone #HouseofHorrors

Dr Edersheim “She actually believed she was a good mother...this was a young woman w/no experiences...someone utterly dependent on her parents...functioning at the ability of a 12-13yo, thinking she was doing her best & doing enough” @NBC10Boston @NECN #Blackstone #HouseofHorrors

https://twitter.com/AlyshaNBCBoston

Dr. Edersheim: “everything depended on her pleasing Ray & keeping Ray because he was her personal and psychological lifeline...the secrecy was really in service of her keeping Ray” @NBC10Boston @NECN #Blackstone #HouseofHorrors

Defense is done with direct questioning. Prosecution begins cross examination of Dr. Edersheim. @NBC10Boston @NECN #Blackstone #HouseofHorrors

Prosecutor Christopher Hodgens gets Dr. Edersheim to agree she didn’t interview police or DCF, just looked at their reports, etc. @NBC10Boston @NECN #Blackstone #HouseofHorrors

Prosecutor: Murray had never been diagnosed with any learning disability. Dr. Edersheim says she had some help, but no IEP. @NBC10Boston @NECN #Blackstone #HouseofHorrors

Prosecutor presses Dr. Edersheim on when Murray’s self care began to suffer and what actually contributed to it. @NBC10Boston @NECN #Blackstone #HouseofHorrors

Prosecutor: “Erika indicated she was never hit by Ray Rivera” Dr. Edersheim: “correct” Prosecutor: he never threw any objects Dr. Edersheim: He never threw any objects at her Prosecutor: He never hit the children Dr. Edersheim: never @NBC10Boston @NECN #Blackstone #HouseofHorrors

Prosecutor gets Dr. Edersheim to agree in the years since Murray was first in custody “she could smile appropriately when something happy was raised...could cry appropriately” she said her affect wasn’t as flat as it had been. @NBC10Boston @NECN #Blackstone #HouseofHorrors

Dr. Edersheim insists: “Erika really is a very shy, avoidant, dependent person, consistently then and now.” @NBC10Boston @NECN #Blackstone #HouseofHorrors

Dr. Edersheim on Murray: “She gradually became desensitized to her surroundings...she genuinely expressed incomprehension at other people’s shock at the house’s conditions...she was there as the diapers piled up...she got used to it” @NBC10Boston @NECN #Blackstone #HouseofHorrors

Prosecutor is done with cross examination. Defense begins redirect. @NBC10Boston @NECN #Blackstone #HouseofHorrors

Dr. Edersheim says Rivera was not made available to her, his parents would not speak with her and she tried unsuccessfully to reach his friends to interview them. @NBC10Boston @NECN #Blackstone #HouseofHorrors

Dr. Edersheim is excused. @NBC10Boston @NECN #Blackstone #HouseofHorrors

I have to say Alysha Palumbo from NBC10 Boston is a very good tweeter. She keeps up with what is happening in the testimony. One of the best I have seen.

This is a very sad case! I don't envy the judge having to make a determination on the charges. I will admit I think her going before the judge is a better option and than before a jury of her peers.

I see some metal issues going on here, not sure what. jmo

I have to say Alysha Palumbo from NBC10 Boston is a very good tweeter. She keeps up with what is happening in the testimony. One of the best I have seen.

This is a very sad case! I don't envy the judge having to make a determination on the charges. I will admit I think her going before the judge is a better option and than before a jury of her peers.

I see some metal issues going on here, not sure what. jmo
That was supposed to say mental issues. ^

Were Erika's parents put on the stand earlier and I missed it? I would be interested to hear what they have to say.

Erika is just truly bizarre, it is very conflicting that she could purchase and refinish items and make and sell crafts but couldn't figure out how to get birth control or an abortion or take care of her children or take her dog out to urinate? (The neighbor saying Erika couldn't handle taking her dog out to urinate so she just didn't totally baffled me, my 4 year old can do that).

Rocchio said that following interviews with Murray and her mother and a review of documents related to the case, she concluded that a “perfect storm” of personality disorders and abusive treatment had led to Murray being unable to cope with her problems.

Murray became pregnant with her oldest daughter when she was 17. She and her boyfriend, Raymond Rivera, lived with her mother, who took on the responsibilities of caring for both Murray and her infant daughter.

Murray had been a outwardly happy child with a normal social life, her mother told Rocchio. Forensic psychiatrist Judith Edersheim, who also evaluated Murray after her arrest, testified that Murray demonstrated fear of abandonment even as a youth.

But Rivera, who was in his 20s, began to display controlling behavior once they started dating, Rocchio testified. And his conduct escalated after Murray became pregnant for a second time and they moved into Rivera’s family home in Blackstone.

Erika Murray was emotionally abused by boyfriend, psychologist testifies during Blackstone mother’s murder trial

I am not sure if they testified but this shows the Dr interviewed the mother.

Were Erika's parents put on the stand earlier and I missed it? I would be interested to hear what they have to say.

Erika is just truly bizarre, it is very conflicting that she could purchase and refinish items and make and sell crafts but couldn't figure out how to get birth control or an abortion or take care of her children or take her dog out to urinate? (The neighbor saying Erika couldn't handle taking her dog out to urinate so she just didn't totally baffled me, my 4 year old can do that).

Yes. Do not believe that she was incompetent. She knew how to sell on the net. Sorry, not easy.

I'm so completely torn on this one. Like @human says above, yes, she knew how to sell on the net and it takes more than the level of intelligence they are trying to say Erika has...then I wonder - was her mother helping her with that, too? She could refinish beautiful items; but not take the dog out because she didn't know how? I get the depression and inadequacy parts and they emotional abuse and the extreme compartmentalization, too, but she was just too good at other things for me to believe she is not of at least average intelligence. I'm sorry. And D averages in high school can be the result of a multitude of things; apathy, etc.
I did see a tweet saying that the 2 younger children were thriving where they are now and I was so happy to see that. I hope it is accurate. I would love to hear an official update. Her oldest daughter must be 17 or 18 by now, right? So I hope she has graduated high school and has plans for her future and I hope her son experiences happiness and love. He very well could be the reason his 2 remaining younger siblings are alive, today.

Is anyone following along today - even more conflicted now after hearing the prosecution's witness and his findings...

I have been gone all day today. I can try to catch up on the tweets. It may take me tonight and tomorrow morning.

Prosecutor Christopher Hodgens begins with his rebuttal witness, Fabian Saleh, a child, adolescent and forensic psychiatrist. He also works at Harvard Medical School. @NBC10Boston @NECN #Blackstone #HouseofHorrors

Dr. Saleh testifies he has treated patients with various forms of mood disorders, psychotic illnesses, etc. @NBC10Boston @NECN #Blackstone #HouseofHorrors

Dr. Saleh says he was asked to examine Erika Murray for this case. “I anticipated seeing something of a major mental health disorder” but he says it wasn’t @NBC10Boston @NECN #Blackstone #HouseofHorrors

NBC10 Boston‏Verified account @NBC10Boston
WATCH LIVE: Closing arguments begin today in the Blackstone “House of Horrors” trial, in which a mother of three dead babies found in a squalid home faces a murder charge for one of the deaths. Livestream here -->

(So they had a Live Stream Today)

Dr. Saleh says he also reviewed numerous records, including interviews with Ray Rivera, the children, etc. @NBC10Boston @NECN #Blackstone #HouseofHorrors

Dr. Saleh says he spoke with Murray, her mother, father, aunt & brother, as well as Rivera’s mother & sister. He asked to speak with Rivera but was told he was not available. @NBC10Boston @NECN #Blackstone #HouseofHorrors

Dr. Saleh: Murray “presented very well, I was surprised by this...” He interviewed her in both Oct 2017 & Jan 2018. He says she appeared well-groomed, but had reported memory loss about certain things. @NBC10Boston @NECN #Blackstone #HouseofHorrors

I am absolutely scratching my head about Dr. DiCataldo, who seemed perfectly rational and capable in his analysis, until he said that EM was simultaneously possessed of an IQ lower than 86% of her peers; yet simultaneously, he deemed her "not mentally retarded"... surely the category of individuals who fall in the valley between the two categories is extremely slim? 14%'s not much to hang your hat on.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woohoo3
Back