NOTGUILTY MA - Remains of 3 infants found, Erika Murray charged, Blackstone, Sept 2014

Discussion in 'Trials' started by OkieGranny, Sep 11, 2014.

1. PajamaSleuth

PajamaSleuth Well-Known Member

Oh! was he charged with anything? I may have missed that — I hope so!

StarrChance likes this.
  2. Ksprincess2

Ksprincess2 Well-Known Member

Ok found his charges here they are from this article Redirect Notice
    "Rivera has been charged separately with crimes including two counts of assault and battery on a child and two counts of reckless endangerment of a child. He also appeared in court Wednesday, and his case was continued until a June status conference, according to Worcester District Attorney Joseph D. Early Jr.’s office.
    A trial date for Rivera hasn’t been set."

I think he has some drug charges too.

StarrChance, byo, Laughing and 6 others like this.
  3. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Staff Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

4. Jewels53

Jewels53 Forever in my Heart!

StarrChance, byo, Ksprincess2 and 6 others like this.
  5. Jewels53

Alysha Palumbo NBC10 Boston‏Verified account @AlyshaNBCBoston
    BREAKING: The judge finds Erika Murray NOT GUILTY of second degree murder, as well as the lesser included charge of involuntary manslaughter @NBC10Boston @NECN #Blackstone #HouseofHorrors

Alysha Palumbo NBC10 Boston‏Verified account @AlyshaNBCBoston
    So to break down the verdict: -Erika Murray is NOT GUILTY of 2nd degree murder -GUILTY of 2 counts of assault & battery on a child -NOT GUILTY of 2 counts of reckless endangerment of a child -GUILTY of 2 counts of animal cruelty @NBC10Boston @NECN #Blackstone #HouseofHorrors

StarrChance, Ksprincess2, byo and 2 others like this.
  6. Jewels53

Basically a slap on the wrist! imo jmo moooo!

StarrChance, Ksprincess2, byo and 2 others like this.
  7. Jewels53

8. Bugurl747

Bugurl747 Well-Known Member

WHAT?!?!................wow. Very disappointing.

Do we know how much time she may be facing with those charges?

Will she be able to get her kids back? :eek:

Thanks @Jewels53 for keeping us posted.

9. Bugurl747

10. Bugurl747

She has been incarcerated since Sept of '14, IIRC.

Is she going to get out on time served? o_O

11. Hippiemomof5

Hippiemomof5 Well-Known Member

12. Jewels53

I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't happen. That is almost 5 years.

I have a hard time believing the boyfriend was not able to see or smell what was going on.

I have no idea what kind of sentence she will face.

13. renah

renah Active Member

I'm okay with her doing time already served. I truly think she is a severely incompacitated adult. That said, she should NEVER be responsible for children or pets, ever again!!!

This woman needs some kind of half-way house with counselors and oversight where she can learn some basic life and coping skills and learn how to access resources when she needs help.

I don't know if anything like that is actually available but I hope her sentencing at least entails regularly checking in with someone who is interested in helping her make progress.

14. Ksprincess2

Ksprincess2 Well-Known Member

Oh noo I'm so bitterly disappointed. When will the justice system hold Mother's responsible for their actions towards the children they are supposed to care for. Erika knew what she was doing was wrong because she went to great lengths to conceal her actions and youngest children.

Totally a slap on the wrist, I feel like she'll be released with time served and can go get pregnant again since she obviously has never learned how not to get pregnant. When I was a social worker I saw this over and over although not to this extent but saw women who neglected their kids because they are mentally ill, issuing drugs ect. Eventually lost custody of their kids, within a few years have a whole new set of kids:mad:

StarrChance, human, MsGazette and 2 others like this.
  15. renah

renah Active Member

Erika was solely focused on hiding the younger children because she greatly feared the disapproval of her husband and mother. That fear over rode ALL sensibilty that a fully functioning adult would have. Erika is not a fully functioning adult.

I do wish that birth control could be mandated in this case. And a no-contact order for the husband, who IMO has proved to be absolutely toxic for her particular mix of deficits..

16. MsGazette

MsGazette Just call me Ms G

@MsMarple Thank you for helping me find my way here! I have been looking for this thread for well over a year since I discovered Websleuths. I’m not savvy for searching on here for some odd reason. I searched for all of the words in the title over and over. Even clicking “in this forum”.

Anyways, I am so distraught over this. I have been following this case from the very first day my friend that lived nearby told me about it. Back when I was on FB, we had mothers panicking on a clothing/kid toy swap because she sold some of her items in the group. She was involved with a FB group that was dedicated to the illness of one of my family members. She lived one town over from my brother and also a friend of mine. My heart broke with every update right up until they tore the house down. I can’t believe this verdict. I just can’t!

StarrChance, human and MsMarple like this.
  17. MsGazette

I think she will and I doubt she received the mental healthcare that she obviously needs.

18. Charlot123

Charlot123 Well-Known Member

I agree. I think her diagnosis, severe cognitive deficits, a combination of dependent and avoidant PD, bespeaks other obvious issues. How did she fly under the radar? Perhaps by having no real-life friends; as to her mom/dad, maybe at least one of them had similar issues? So they never visited.

She should not take care of kids/animals, and I think she will be only too happy to not be responsible of any dependents and living in a group home.

renah likes this.
  19. MsGazette

Her parents lived in Northbridge which is close by to Blackstone. This link will give you some insight into her background. The house was actually owned by EM’s boyfriend’s sister (boyfriend lived in apartment in the same house). When all of this came to light, LE gave the sister some time to claim the residence, but she never did. The expenses that incurred for the cleanup and investigation were extraordinary. Once she did not claim the home, they tore it down. It all rolled out relatively quickly - they were in there wearing Hazmat gear and I think they were really afraid to keep it standing after all that had died and all the the filth that had built up. Heslam: House of horrors hid Murray’s secret life – Boston Herald

LadyL, StarrChance and human like this.
  20. MsGazette

Charlot123 likes this.