MA - Ryan Hazel, 14, Mauled to Death by 4 Dogs he was Dogsitting. 9 May 2019

PastTense

Reaction score
The victim of the terrifying dog mauling was identified as 14-year-old Ryan Hazel, a Rehoboth boy who attended Bristol-Plymouth Regional Technical School.

Bristol County authorities ruled out foul play but are still investigating the death of the boy, who had agreed to care for the dogs while the owner, Scott Dunmore, was in Boston. An autopsy of the boy is scheduled for Friday. He was found by a neighbor with “traumatic injuries” throughout his body Thursday night.
Dighton dog mauling victim identified

Identified as Belgian Malinois and Dutch Shepherds, "one of whom acted aggressively" when 11 dogs were removed from the property according to the article above. And his grandmother waited for him in the driveway of the house. How horrible for all.

So sad, tragic and horrific. My condolences to Ryan's family and friends.

In my experience, even normally sweet, well behaved dogs can suddenly become aggressive for no reason readily apparent to their owners or other witnesses. That unpredictability combined with size can be lethal. Certain breeds seem to be more prone to this. I think owners and everyone in contact with large dogs need to take a lot of precaution. A dog behaviorist once told me that all dogs can be unpredictable. I don't think a child or young teen should be alone with large dogs, especially those who have historically been bred for protection, or those trained for it. Adults have been attacked and even killed by their own dogs. MOO.

He might have been partially at fault by roughhousing with the dogs.

I watched a German Shepherd for my neighbors when I was 13. They were wonderful. But one day after being around him for years, I got grabbed on my arm like my arm was a dog bone. I think I was telling him to go outside. I kept watching him but I was scared after that. RIP.

I watched a German Shepherd for my neighbors when I was 13. They were wonderful. But one day after being around him for years, I got grabbed on my arm like my arm was a dog bone. I think I was telling him to go outside. I kept watching him but I was scared after that. RIP.

My "wake-up experience" was also with a male (pure bred) German Shepherd. I rescued him as a stray when he was a big puppy. He was extremely sweet and passive and always friendly around people and other dogs. I completely trusted him. One day (when he was about five years old) on a walk, when the trail was empty, I naively let him off his leash, trusting he would come back when I called. A young woman jogger approached some distance ahead, so I called him, but he ignored me and kept walking. I ran after him but didn't reach him in time. The woman, apparently, was afraid of dogs, because she got off the trail and stood very still with her back to the trail. I think my dog sensed her fear. He slowly walked up to her, wagging his tail, but she stayed quiet and frozen. I couldn't believe my eyes as he sniffed her and then very slowly and carefully nipped her buttocks, just barely breaking the skin. We were all extremely fortunate that it was a very minor wound, as he could have seriously injured her if he had wanted to. I was in shock, and although he weighed as much as I did, I threw him on the ground, spanked him and harshly scolded him. Then he, too, was in shock--cried and whimpered like a little puppy and wet himself to show submission because I was so furious with him. I had no idea why he bit her; it was totally bizarre and unprovoked. He was completely calm and nonchalant about it; never growling, barking or showing any obvious aggression toward her. The behaviorist told me that dogs can simply be "bullies" when they get the chance. I never let him off leash again, and worked with him to establish and maintain my dominance. He never attempted to nip anyone else. However, I was heartbroken to realize I couldn't trust him, or any other dog. MOO.

Omigosh - 11 dogs on the property. If they were together, that's a large pack of dogs. If Ryan had their food and didn't know how to handle them, it could have easily escalated into an out of control situation.

The article says:
Hazel’s body was found in the backyard with injuries all over as four dogs, Belgian Malinois and Dutch Shepherds, roamed the property. The other seven dogs were caged.

So it was from one to four dogs who attacked Ryan. I am thinking three or four as I think Ryan could have defended himself from one or two. But I really don't know.

See here for descriptions (I am not familiar with them myself):
Malinois dog - Wikipedia
Dutch Shepherd - Wikipedia

So how many people with the name Scott Dunmore live in the Boston area? See this website:

"3 Dogs Running...
Personalized Training, Individual Sport Instruction,
Pack Exercise Sessions ... and More!

Training dogs professionally for 15 years, Scott Dunmore has the knowledge, hands-on experience and teaching ability to help dog owners in a multitude of scenarios. Whether you're looking to start off on the right foot with a new puppy, are experiencing behavioral or aggression issues in your adult dog, or would like to introduce your dog to a new sport or activity, Scott can offer insight and assistance."
Scott Dunmore Dog Training | Boston MA

This would make it even more bizarre if a professional dog trainer had these mis-behaved dogs. Can someone sleuth this to verify one way or the other?

My "wake-up experience" was also with a male (pure bred) German Shepherd. I rescued him as a stray when he was a big puppy. He was extremely sweet and passive and always friendly around people and other dogs. I completely trusted him. One day (when he was about five years old) on a walk, when the trail was empty, I naively let him off his leash, trusting he would come back when I called. A young woman jogger approached some distance ahead, so I called him, but he ignored me and kept walking. I ran after him but didn't reach him in time. The woman, apparently, was afraid of dogs, because she got off the trail and stood very still with her back to the trail. I think my dog sensed her fear. He slowly walked up to her, wagging his tail, but she stayed quiet and frozen. I couldn't believe my eyes as he sniffed her and then very slowly and carefully nipped her buttocks, just barely breaking the skin. We were all extremely fortunate that it was a very minor wound, as he could have seriously injured her if he had wanted to. I was in shock, and although he weighed as much as I did, I threw him on the ground, spanked him and harshly scolded him. Then he, too, was in shock--cried and whimpered like a little puppy and wet himself to show submission because I was so furious with him. I had no idea why he bit her; it was totally bizarre and unprovoked. He was completely calm and nonchalant about it; never growling, barking or showing any obvious aggression toward her. The behaviorist told me that dogs can simply be "bullies" when they get the chance. I never let him off leash again, and worked with him to establish and maintain my dominance. He never attempted to nip anyone else. However, I was heartbroken to realize I couldn't trust him, or any other dog. MOO.

Yes, dogs can be bullies. My sweet, gentle, well-trained lab bullies my eleven-year-old grandson. He is never vicious or aggressive, but he isn't on his best behavior either. Dogs sense what they can/cannot get away with, and when there is more than one "pack mentality" can kick in. More than one dog will act differently than a dog alone. They egg each other on, catch excitement from one another.

Yes, dogs can be bullies. My sweet, gentle, well-trained lab bullies my eleven-year-old grandson. He is never vicious or aggressive, but he isn't on his best behavior either. Dogs sense what they can/cannot get away with, and when there is more than one "pack mentality" can kick in. More than one dog will act differently than a dog alone. They egg each other on, catch excitement from one another.

I agree with this 100%. Just as a mob can become its own mentality, a pack of dogs can and will do what no one dog would EVER do by itself. A fire becomes its own entity, a mob of people becomes its own separate entity and a pack ( two or more) of dogs becomes its own entity. All feed off and escalate off of the energy of the dynamic. There's no telling what could happen.

German Shepherds are herding dogs. They were genetically selected and bred over centuries to find the best herding dogs that could gather wandering sheep by biting the back of their heels. Yes, some are mean, but this dog was herding wandering "sheep". My GS herded everyone into the house when the barometric pressure dropped or he heard thunder. I was nipped many times in the butt and heels when I didn't get into the house as he "told" me to do.

people need to learn how to read dogs' signals
they display specific behaviour in sketchy situations
Ryan had been helping care for these dogs for about a year so I can see how he felt comfortable with them in the owner's absence
but the owner should've hired someone with special training or boarded them IMO

on another note, I wonder why grandma didn't investigate on her own but called Ryan's parents who then got a neighbour to check on him
maybe she was afraid of dogs or heard something frightening

RIP Ryan

Corgis will herd you, too!

Likely the trainer (who I won't name) was accepted as pack leader by these dogs. This victim was perhaps perceived as an interloper, the second-in-command dog was not giving up his new position as pack leader when the trainer left. The dogs don't know that the trainer is coming back.

Avoidable, sadly.

(JMHO, some of you will disagree, but a dog or two should likely be euthanized. Trainer & any K-9 officers on the scene could make recommendations.)

RIP, Mr. Hazel, peace & comfort for your family & friends.

Corgis will herd you, too!

Likely the trainer (who I won't name) was accepted as pack leader by these dogs. This victim was perhaps perceived as an interloper, the second-in-command dog was not giving up his new position as pack leader when the trainer left. The dogs don't know that the trainer is coming back.

Avoidable, sadly.

(JMHO, some of you will disagree, but a dog or two should likely be euthanized. Trainer & any K-9 officers on the scene could make recommendations.)

RIP, Mr. Hazel, peace & comfort for your family & friends.

Laughing, I won't disagree about a dog (or so) being put down. Any dog(s) that will attack and kill a human don't need to exist in our society. I'm in a quandry with the man who who gave me my lab. He is a trainer for an elite hunt club. When the dogs get older, they are retired, that's how I got mine. This trainer tells me that a dog that barks at me/you, is showing dominance. My dog just started barking after having him about 6 months, it doesn't bother me a bit. Thing is, this man is correct - he deals with 17/20 dogs at any given time. He absolutely MUST keep them under control, no exceptions allowed. With my one dog, I can ease up a bit, but if I get another one, all bets are off, and "I" will carry a stick. No matter how well you know a dog(s), they are still animals with animal instincts. My grandson knows my dog and would know the next one I get, but would he be able to handle them?

With more than one dog, a body must be very careful, it's a totally different ball game.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back