Madeleine McCann 3 year old missing in Portugal - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Officers have received more than 30,000 calls offering information. About 150 investigators have been deployed in Portugal and are liaising with British police and Interpol."

That is a lot of investigators. I'm impressed. This could be a tourism nightmare for Portugal. I'm thinking that Portugal doesn't want to be looked at like Aruba.

Maybe this thread and the one in "Missing" need to be merged.

Maybe this thread and the one in "Missing" need to be merged.

Of course they do, IMO.

it's difficult to know if the thread should be in Missing or Crime, isn't it?

meanwhile, 'Madeleine Kidnapper May Be A Briton'

There is speculation in the Portuguese media*the kidnapper*of three-year-old Madeleine McCann could be British.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1264418,00.html

After so long i'm afraid i don't hold out much hope she'll be recovered alive. :(

i hope if he's a Briton, there will be more of a chance of aprehending him. like he'll stick out as being a foreigner, yes?

Earlier it emerged officers are investigating reports a man was seen dragging a girl towards a marina close to the Algarve resort where she vanished.
A balding man was apparently spotted with a young girl heading towards the marina in the town of Lagos.

I definitely don't like the sound of this. did he put her on a boat and has he sailed far away with her? :(

Of course they do, IMO.

it's difficult to know if the thread should be in Missing or Crime, isn't it?

meanwhile, 'Madeleine Kidnapper May Be A Briton'

There is speculation in the Portuguese media*the kidnapper*of three-year-old Madeleine McCann could be British.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1264418,00.html

After so long i'm afraid i don't hold out much hope she'll be recovered alive. :(

i hope if he's a Briton, there will be more of a chance of aprehending him. like he'll stick out as being a foreigner, yes?

Earlier it emerged officers are investigating reports a man was seen dragging a girl towards a marina close to the Algarve resort where she vanished.
A balding man was apparently spotted with a young girl heading towards the marina in the town of Lagos.

I definitely don't like the sound of this. did he put her on a boat and has he sailed far away with her? :(

I would guess the Missing forum is where this belongs, now that it has dragged on so long.

I don't like the sound of the "girl being dragged towards a marina", either. I really don't hold out much hope that this child will be found at all, if that girl was Maddie. This is just terrible. My heart aches for Kate and Gerry.

The 'family-friendly' holiday firm

Three-year-old British girl Madeleine McCann was abducted from a Mark Warner resort in Portugal's popular holiday area, the Algarve.

The holiday firm had just one chalet when it began 33 years ago, but now takes about 50,000 people abroad every year, and has developed a family-friendly reputation.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/leicestershire/6627799.stm

This is just terrible to have happened. My dh and I would have ordered room service before we would have ever thought of leaving our dd sleeping. There was also babysitting, and a "dining-out" creche service in the evenings for children aged four months to nine years - parents eating in the resort's restaurants drop the children off and pick them up later, so there's really no reason Maddy and the younger twins should have been alone. JMO!

FLOH -

any more word on the article above? I cannot find ANYTHING...

TIA.

"The children were left only in the sense that when you put your children to bed you don't stay in the room all night. They had dinner in a restaurant in the complex, only a very short distance away from where the children were, and they kept popping back to check on them, as most parents would.

I never check on my son, at 2.5 we still use a baby monitor, so I don't need to. (well, I do check on him before I go to bed) I can not understand the rationale behind this one. I hope this little girl is found safe.

I never check on my son, at 2.5 we still use a baby monitor, so I don't need to. (well, I do check on him before I go to bed) I can not understand the rationale behind this one. I hope this little girl is found safe.

The rationale is that they were in a strange place and they'd left three babies all by themselves, with no baby monitor.

I still have an issue with those toddlers being left alone. :doh: Anyone think b/c these people are both doctors and likely have a nanny at home for their children, that they just weren't real experienced with taking care of the kids themselves? The kids are all very young so they haven't been parents for long.

Maddie suspect may be 'British'

By ONLINE REPORTER
May 07, 2007

COMMENT ON THIS STORY

THE main suspect in the kidnapping of three-year-old Madeleine McCann could be British, Portugese media reported today.

The Correio da Manha daily newspaper said Portuguese police had produced a picture of the suspect based on testimony from dozens of employees and tourists at the Praia da Luz holiday village.
“It is a medium-sized individual with a strong body,” an unnamed police source was cited by daily Correio da Manha as saying, adding that the suspect is believed to be British.
Meanwhile it was revealed that cops searching for Maddie have only an artist’s impression of the BACK of the prime suspect’s head.

Portuguese police chiefs had said they had a “drawing” of their man.
But local newspaper 24 Horas revealed a witness had seen him from behind and could describe only his hairstyle.
Officers also came in for flak after it was revealed border police were not told of the snatch for 12 HOURS.
Maddie was reported missing at 9.30pm on Thursday. But national newspaper Diario de Noticias said the first the border cops knew of it was when they were given a photo of her the next day.
It means that, with Spain just a 90-minute drive away, the kidnapper could have fled the country unchecked.
There are now more than 150 cops in the hunt, with reinforcements from Lisbon, 200 miles away. But with thousands of holiday homes still locked by absent owners, the search was “slow and unproductive”.
Police believe Maddie is still alive and remains in the Algarve area. They said one possible motive was sexual — but Portugal has NO sexual offenders’ register.
And a damning report by an international child protection group claimed investigations of paedophiles and child traffickers were hampered by corruption and indifference among the authorities.
Homayra Sellier, founder of Swiss-based Innocence in Danger, said plans to set up offices in Portugal had been blocked. She said: “Many of the people are scared to talk if they see something because they have fear.
“What is in front of them is the mob and the mob goes very far up.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007210116,00.html

I think what ever peoples views are on the issue of should the parents have been away from the children is now beside the point and whatever our views are on this subject are not important. the main issue here is we have a little girl whom is missing and a family whom are besides thereselfs with grief .Lets pray she returns .

I think what ever peoples views are on the issue of should the parents have been away from the children is now beside the point and whatever our views are on this subject are not important. the main issue here is we have a little girl whom is missing and a family whom are besides thereselfs with grief .Lets pray she returns .

Yes, you are so right! It's so easy to say what "we" would do and I'm sure these parents felt their children were safe and secure, plus they were checking on them. We need to focus on finding this precious child. There was that one witness who thought she saw a suspicious couple carrying a child about that time. I'm just hoping it was someone who just wanted a child and that she hasn't been harmed.

I wonder why they seem sure she is alive. That sounds rather strange. I hope theyre right of course regardless.

The parents are doctors. Something when I read that just really surprised me as they really should have known better than to leave their kids like that. I know the kids were asleep but they werent at home and safe in their beds. They were still among strangers in the hotel.

I heard a phone interview with a relative of the family who said they were checking every half hour at 7pm, 8pm, 9pm which going by my maths is not every half hour. Maybe someone was watching and knew they had an hour to do what needed to be done.

Alot could happen to a child in 30 mins...and it did...this was very irresponsible.

This is so heartbreaking. If the parents made an error in judgment they are suffering every parents nightmare. I hope and pray Madeline is found safe and returned to her parents.

Maddie suspect may be 'British'

By ONLINE REPORTER
May 07, 2007

COMMENT ON THIS STORY

THE main suspect in the kidnapping of three-year-old Madeleine McCann could be British, Portugese media reported today.

The Correio da Manha daily newspaper said Portuguese police had produced a picture of the suspect based on testimony from dozens of employees and tourists at the Praia da Luz holiday village.
“It is a medium-sized individual with a strong body,” an unnamed police source was cited by daily Correio da Manha as saying, adding that the suspect is believed to be British.
Meanwhile it was revealed that cops searching for Maddie have only an artist’s impression of the BACK of the prime suspect’s head.

Portuguese police chiefs had said they had a “drawing” of their man.
But local newspaper 24 Horas revealed a witness had seen him from behind and could describe only his hairstyle.
Officers also came in for flak after it was revealed border police were not told of the snatch for 12 HOURS.
Maddie was reported missing at 9.30pm on Thursday. But national newspaper Diario de Noticias said the first the border cops knew of it was when they were given a photo of her the next day.
It means that, with Spain just a 90-minute drive away, the kidnapper could have fled the country unchecked.
There are now more than 150 cops in the hunt, with reinforcements from Lisbon, 200 miles away. But with thousands of holiday homes still locked by absent owners, the search was “slow and unproductive”.
Police believe Maddie is still alive and remains in the Algarve area. They said one possible motive was sexual — but Portugal has NO sexual offenders’ register.
And a damning report by an international child protection group claimed investigations of paedophiles and child traffickers were hampered by corruption and indifference among the authorities.
Homayra Sellier, founder of Swiss-based Innocence in Danger, said plans to set up offices in Portugal had been blocked. She said: “Many of the people are scared to talk if they see something because they have fear.
“What is in front of them is the mob and the mob goes very far up.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007210116,00.html

Someone please correct me if I am missing somethere here, as I just casually read/glanced over the story...but we have only the "back impression" of the suspect?
So where is the idea coming from that the suspect may be British?

Has anyone found anything which says what type of doctor Maddy's mum is? i have read her father is a cardiologist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member