Madeleine McCann 3 year old missing in Portugal - Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only things we know are that Gerry and Kate McCann went out of their apartment and to the Tapas bar at 8:30 pm on May 3. They were joined by 7 friends there. Gerry checked on the children shortly after 9:00. Kate checked on them around 10:00. Madeleine wasn't there. She hasn't been seen (to the point of being definitely identified) in public since.

I don't think we even know that. We know they went to the Tapas bar at 8:30pm and we don't really know if Gerry checked on Madeleine at 9. We know that at 10, Kate found her missing.

I don't think we even know that. We know they went to the Tapas bar at 8:30pm and we don't really know if Gerry checked on Madeleine at 9. We know that at 10, Kate found her missing.
Thats right BethInAK, the times that the children were supposed to have been checked on has not been proven that it happened at the times the McCanns or their friends stated. As far as I know they were last seen at 8.30 when they were put to bed, then at 10pm.

I can see where you're coming from- we don't KNOW that he checked her. We haven't heard for sure that the tennis friend he met outside the apartment, Jeremy Wilkins, actually saw him leaving their room. He can at least corroborate that Gerry was near the apartments around 9:05.

I'm interested in knowing what people in the UK think about Robert Murat. Is he still considered a suspect to most people, and has this "ruined his life" as he claims?

Not much help here i'm afraid Callikid as I have lived in Australia for the last three years.

Speaking to relatives and friends in the UK though. At this point they are not sure what to make of Murat and are waiting for proof either way. I don't believe he's being hounded or hated.

This is how I feel too, and unless the polce charge him with something I try to keep an open mind.
I feel sorry for him if he's not involved in Madeleine's disapearance, it must seem like a never ending nightmare. At this point he probably does feel as though his life has been ruined. Time will tell on that.

There are so many twists and turns to Madeline's disappearance, possible suspects, and various theories as to how she disappeared that I cannot see a good ending to this story.

It's very difficult to read the parents, but they will eventually need to return home and resume their lives, albeit never normal. If they are truly innocent, they will need to live with leaving their daughter alone and contributing to her disappearance.

If this is a stranger abduction, without a confession I don't think anyone will ever be charged, since there is no real evidence of an abduction. If Madeline is deceased and her body is found, there would be too much decomposition to show evidence of a sexual attack or how she died.

If Madeline is still alive - and this would be tremendous - the most intriguing part to the puzzle is how Madeline was taken and for whom. That said, however, Madeline posters are in most major European cities and her picture has been on the news for months with no results.

[/i]

I agree again April4sky. The newspapers started by saying that the results would be back soon and created the expectation.

Apparently it is a very complicated process, as the DNA has to defined and separated... one from each other - and there would have been lots of DNA in a holiday apartment. Even the dried blood samples may have been contaminated. And if anyone is ever brought to court the evidence has to be correct. There was nothing to stop the Portuguese police organising their own DNA search and sending the samples off elsewhere - say Italy- in the first week - so why didn't they?

The only way I can explain to American posters as to why we Brits think that the PD is perhaps not as on the ball as the British police is by saying if an American child had gone missing in a small seaside resort in Mexico, would you still have as much faith in their local police force to undertake an enquiry as you own police - especially if they were prevented from giving out any information?

Thanks mrsmousemat. I do think the press have a lot to answer for.

As we have no idea how much "evidence" the UK lab has been given its impossible for us, or the "all knowing" press, to know how long it will be before we learn the results.....Just hope we hear through official channels.

I do think its only natural to feel more confident in your own police. And to want them involved in the search as much as possible. Especially if there is a language barrier.

You only have to look at the Natalee Holloway case on here.
Not that I am in any way trying to compare the Portugese police to those in Aruba. But I have followed that case with total disgust at how its been handled over there. And i'm sure Natalee's family wish the FBI could become more involved.

Thanks mrsmousemat. I do think the press have a lot to answer for.

As we have no idea how much "evidence" the UK lab has been given its impossible for us, or the "all knowing" press, to know how long it will be before we learn the results.....Just hope we hear through official channels.

I do think its only natural to feel more confident in your own police. And to want them involved in the search as much as possible. Especially if there is a language barrier.

You only have to look at the Natalee Holloway case on here.
Not that I am in any way trying to compare the Portugese police to those in Aruba. But I have followed that case with total disgust at how its been handled over there. And i'm sure Natalee's family wish the FBI could become more involved.
That is pretty much how it is in other countries, the LE of any other country but their own have no jurisdiction unless asked by that countrys LE. So if a child who was on holiday in Australia from the UK went missing it would be the job of the Australian police to investigate the crime. The laws do differ from country to country, but the UK LE couldnt just barge into Australia to search for a UK missing child without the permission of the Australian LE, hope that wasnt confusing.
Although I do think the media are pretty much the same all over the world, whatever sells is what they print, whether true or not.

That is pretty much how it is in other countries, the LE of any other country but their own have no jurisdiction unless asked by that countrys LE. So if a child who was on holiday in Australia from the UK went missing it would be the job of the Australian police to investigate the crime. The laws do differ from country to country, but the UK LE couldnt just barge into Australia to search for a UK missing child without the permission of the Australian LE, hope that wasnt confusing.
Although I do think the media are pretty much the same all over the world, whatever sells is what they print, whether true or not.

Absolutely Shazza.
And thats how it should be. No country has the right to interfere in any other country.
The UK police have only become involved in Madeleine's case because the Portugese police particularly requested certain help. As in the searches of the properties and cars using dogs.
My point was I think its natural that most of us would have more confidence in our own police and wish for their help. Particularly if there is a language barrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288