Madeleine McCann General Discussion Thread No. 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Than 14 disappearing per day.

The statistics say it's actually 18 per day in Ireland .

I dare say that both figures are correct as they're from the Garda statistics.

Perhaps you just didn't take into account that most of those 18 per day who were reported missing are found shortly and only a small fraction remain missing indefinitely?

The statistics say it's actually 18 per day in Ireland .

I dare say that both figures are correct as they're from the Garda statistics.

Perhaps you just didn't take into account that most of those 18 per day who were reported missing are found shortly and only a small fraction remain missing indefinitely?

Yeah, I'd say only a fraction remain missing for more than an hour or so. Trust me, I live here - a missing child makes the national news even when they're found within a day or two. We're quite little, we don't have that much news, (or that many people).

Yeah, I'd say only a fraction remain missing for more than an hour or so. Trust me, I live here - a missing child makes the national news even when they're found within a day or two. We're quite little, we don't have that much news, (or that many people).

Yes, I think many of them are probably found pretty soon as the reports include children who wandered off and didn't get far, children who went to visit a neighbor without telling the parents, children who were left behind in the school bus and things of that nature.

But I think it probably distorts the picture a little if you take what's in the news and assume that's all there is. I know from my local cases that some never get much or any media attention at all. It depends on the age of the child and the reason they're presumed missing. If it's a suspected crime or an unexplained disappearance it's more newsworthy than a parental abduction in which the child is not thought to be in danger. A teen who ran away from a foster home but still updates their Facebook regularly may not be reported in the news. It depends on whether the family or the police wants publicity in order to help find the child. Some families may prefer privacy, for example if it's a custody dispute or a teen suicide.

And some perhaps do make the news but the readers might not realize that it was a missing child report originally as it is reported after the child has already been found and the headline says that a child drowned etc.

I think they are innocent too. I also think that there is a lot of cultural prejudice involved in this case. People would really LIKE the Mccanns to be guilty.

I stand by my simple explanation as to what happened. Maddie was stolen to order and taken to the sea front and whisked away by boat.

Has everyone forgotten Amaral was prosecuted for something or other and messed up another missing child case?

Cultural prejudice? Are you kidding????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Whatever it was, that check is part of it.

The checker, Payne, says it was a 5 minute visit.

Kate says he didn't even come inside, more like 30 seconds, she was in the shower.

Someone was/is/has always been lying about that little incident.

:scared:

Yes, he later says he was inside having a 5 minute conversation with a towel clad Kate and saw the three children playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I think they are innocent too. I also think that there is a lot of cultural prejudice involved in this case. People would really LIKE the Mccanns to be guilty.

I stand by my simple explanation as to what happened. Maddie was stolen to order and taken to the sea front and whisked away by boat.

Has everyone forgotten Amaral was prosecuted for something or other and messed up another missing child case?

What do you mean by cultural prejudice-do you mean from the Portuguese people for the English tourists?

bbm

You call that a simple explanation?

bbm

You call that a simple explanation?

It's probably a lot simpler than killing and toting a dead child's body around whilst on holiday with numerous other people. All someone had to do was notice a pattern of when the children would be left and for how long, pick the child they want out then go in and take her. All done in less than five minutes.

Is the term "arguidos" the same as our (US) term "person of interest"?
In Portugal, a person of interest is considered a "witness"
Arguido is the same as being made an official suspect and given rights similar to the US Miranda Rights.

That's why Kate stopped answering questions during her third interview. She had given two already and the questions were a repeat, like police do, trying to find inconsistencies. The third time they told her she was being questioned as an arguido and the questioned turned into interrogation. So she stopped answering until she could have an attorney with her.

What do you mean by cultural prejudice-do you mean from the Portuguese people for the English tourists?

cultural prejudice could be as simple as its foreigners we can blame them rather than investigate properly, we don't want our town to lose tourism business.

Children have disappeared from many places, many even from their own bedrooms, it's not impossible it's not even unlikely it does happen.

two cases here in Australia that I can name off the top of my head are Eloise Worledge (Melbourne in the 1970s) and Sharon Wills (Her parents were tied up, Ringwood late 1980s). Eloise is still missing, Sharon was found a few nights later dressed in a garbage bag wandering in Bayswater.

In Portugal, a person of interest is considered a "witness"
Arguido is the same as being made an official suspect and given rights similar to the US Miranda Rights.

That's why Kate stopped answering questions during her third interview. She had given two already and the questions were a repeat, like police do, trying to find inconsistencies. The third time they told her she was being questioned as an arguido and the questioned turned into interrogation. So she stopped answering until she could have an attorney with her.

Thank you!

even Amaral who has had his own legal problems was an arguido until he was charged

It is a legal term that gives the those who are being asked questions certain rights with in the Portuguese legal system

similar to being interviewed under caution - it grew from the Portugal moving to a democratic state away from its past where certain human rights were not followed

It's probably a lot simpler than killing and toting a dead child's body around whilst on holiday with numerous other people. All someone had to do was notice a pattern of when the children would be left and for how long, pick the child they want out then go in and take her. All done in less than five minutes.

I see one problem here. The day of the kidnapping was the sixth day of the McCanns stay in PDL. The kidnapper had plenty of time to not only choose the victim, check the pattern of the parental care over her, but also to kidnap her. Yet instead of taking her duing one of those nights she cried alone, he chose exactly that night the McCanns and their friends started the half-a-hour- checkups routine. Not only that, during that night one of the Tanner's children got sick, so both Tanner were constantly wandering to and from apartment. It's hard to imagine less convenient night for kidnapping. I could buy a theory about someone acting on the spur of a moment, someone who noticed the open door to the apartment, the kids inside and decided it's his lucky night. But the organised kidnappers hanging carelessly around apartment for five nights and then attacking during the sixth, the busiest... Nope.

Well, I guess you wouldn't necessarily want to kidnap a child that is already crying noisily before you even go in. It would attract attention. And if the kidnappers watched for five nights they wouldn't have known that the next night would be the busiest.

But five minutes is not quite enough if the abductor was hiding there when Gerry checked and just slammed the door behind him when Kate noticed Madeleine gone.

cultural prejudice could be as simple as its foreigners we can blame them rather than investigate properly, we don't want our town to lose tourism business.

Children have disappeared from many places, many even from their own bedrooms, it's not impossible it's not even unlikely it does happen.

two cases here in Australia that I can name off the top of my head are Eloise Worledge (Melbourne in the 1970s) and Sharon Wills (Her parents were tied up, Ringwood late 1980s). Eloise is still missing, Sharon was found a few nights later dressed in a garbage bag wandering in Bayswater.

i will admit : I have a cultural prejudice against parents who leave toddlers unattended. i have a cultural prejudice against parents who go out for hours,leaving little kids alone who they have said were unwell. jmo moo

Well, I guess you wouldn't necessarily want to kidnap a child that is already crying noisily before you even go in. It would attract attention. And if the kidnappers watched for five nights they wouldn't have known that the next night would be the busiest.

But they would certainly notice the change in the routine, observing the area before the hit. I mean if it was planned abduction they wouldn't just go in there without checking before if the area was clear. And it wasn't. Kate and Gerry checking on kids, Gerry talking with Jeremy Wilkins on the street, Matthew Olfield, Jane Tanner and Russel O'Brien wandering to and fro, the dude taking his kid from the creche, the area was busier than Piccadily Circus it seems.

But five minutes is not quite enough if the abductor was hiding there when Gerry checked and just slammed the door behind him when Kate noticed Madeleine gone.

Exactly.

Five minutes is enough if Madeleine was for example handed by person1 to person2 through that window.
The person1 can then leave the apartment through the main door and walk hands in pockets.
The position of the child in Smiths sighting to me suggests that that person hasn't picked up Madeleine from her bed.
If he did, then her head would be leaning on his right shoulder.
In Smiths sighting they said the childs head was on left side.
To pick up Madeleine this way the abductor would need to climb on the bed and pick up Madeleine from the walls side.

I don't know about that... if I have to carry my sleeping children I can shift them to a more comfortable position, they're not glued to me the way I first picked them up.

I think it would be more comfortable for everyone to go through the door, Madeleine would wake up more easily if there was some odd maneuvering through the window. And if somebody sees, they might not think twice about a man walking through a door with a child in his arms but if they see someone getting a child out through a window they're going to take notice. I don't see why anyone would do it.

I don't know about that... if I have to carry my sleeping children I can shift them to a more comfortable position, they're not glued to me the way I first picked them up.

It would be hard for the person to change her position from right to left during a brisk walk. She is a sleeping child who doesn't know him.

Or he maybe picked her up from the right, then put her in the car, front seat and drove to the near Smirths location. Then picked her up from the left this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea