Magnotta March Prelim Hearing & Trial Day 1 - Sep 29, 2014 - Thread #1

Discussion in 'Luka Rocco Magnotta AKA Eric Newman' started by Snoopster, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morbida

Morbida Member

SBM.

Last I heard, there was a publication ban in place for the James Holmes (Aurora, CO theater shooter) trial - as an example. So, they're used. (Just not as stringently.) But no, not very common.

2. Baudi Moovan

Baudi Moovan New Member

"Leclair claimed that information in the motion could harm Magnotta’s right to a fair trial by revealing that the defence might be that Magnotta is not criminally responsible for reasons of a mental disorder, the same defence used by Guy Turcotte, the former cardiologist who killed his two young children. The judge rejected Leclair’s claim."

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news...l+evaluation/8139525/story.html#ixzz2OIuPi6SN

3. ChelleBelle

ChelleBelle New Member

Oh here we go. Thank God the judge appears to have some amount of common sense. Leclair is going to try every trick in the book. I bet for their next trick they petition for a change of venue because they can't get a fair trial in Montreal.

4. Katie-L

Katie-L New Member

I`d cry too if I had to defend this man - especially if I had to do with one less team member.

But who knows. Article doesn`t say what he broke down about. Could be something in his personal life, or the stress of the trial, or something the judge said or even having to hear the evidence.

For me - lawyers are charged with a duty to defend a client to their very best ability. They`re human beings who had nothing to do with the crimes charged, though.

I have incredible respect for the men who have to defend this monster. Can`t imagine the toll it will take on them.

5. newsleuth88

newsleuth88 New Member

I second that - I have tremendous respect for everyone involved in the defence/prosecution side of this case. The judge is VERY smart btw, just based on some on the fly judgements she made when I was in court and I got the impressions that she's VERY no nonsense. The trial is in good hands and everyone is doing their job to the best of their abilities. Not an easy trial on anyone; awful, awful crime.

6. Kanawha City Frank

Kanawha City Frank New Member

I'm guessing that English Common Law and the McNaughten Rule for insanity defense applies in Canada. Am I correct? If so, he obviously cannot say he did not know his crimes were wrong, so what is it his solicitors can argue? This man is such a self promoter that it staggers the imagination he could be found GBI.

7. ChelleBelle

ChelleBelle New Member

The Canadian criminal code does apply the McNaughten Rule. I can't imagine where they think they'd be going with a NCR defense. He knew right from wrong when he booked for Europe.

8. ChelleBelle

ChelleBelle New Member

That's good to know. If the Canadian judicial system has learned anything from Paul and Karla, that is to not screw things up and let one skate.

9. ChelleBelle

ChelleBelle New Member

And the circus resumes tomorrow....

10. HastingsChi

HastingsChi Well-Known Member

doo-doo-doody-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo, doo-doo-doody-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo-doo DOO-doody-doo-doo DOO-doody-doo-doo doo 

11. ChelleBelle

ChelleBelle New Member

:lol:

12. No_Stone_Unturned

No_Stone_Unturned New Member

13. newsleuth88

newsleuth88 New Member

Hey Chelle, just reading via twitter that that info may come under pub ban. May want to delete it to be safe.

14. No_Stone_Unturned

They're Moving Along Quickly:

Domenic Fazioli @DomenicFazioli

Magnotta hearing is done for the day. We heard from six witnesses from Vancouver.

15. No_Stone_Unturned

Where is this info from? I'm not able to find it anywhere.

Many thanks,
    Stone :)

16. ChelleBelle

ChelleBelle New Member

Done - thanks! :)

17. newsleuth88

newsleuth88 New Member

18. ChelleBelle

ChelleBelle New Member

19. HastingsChi

HastingsChi Well-Known Member

Magnotta's lawyer is well-regarded and he seems to be working hard on behalf of his client; I respect that because everyone should receive the best defense possible. While I hope his efforts are unsuccessful, it wouldn't surprise me if he tried to reduce the charges to unlawful disposal of a body. Unfortunately for Leclair, his client is a control freak who has traits of a pathological liar, so I can't imagine Leclair and Magnotta working completely in sync.

20. matou

matou #los2188

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/04/08/magnotta-lawyer-wants-murder-charge-downgraded

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.