Magnotta March Prelim Hearing & Trial Day 1 - Sep 29, 2014 - Thread #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Magnotta's lawyer is well-regarded and he seems to be working hard on behalf of his client; I respect that because everyone should receive the best defense possible. While I hope his efforts are unsuccessful, it wouldn't surprise me if he tried to reduce the charges to unlawful disposal of a body. Unfortunately for Leclair, his client is a control freak who has traits of a pathological liar, so I can't imagine Leclair and Magnotta working completely in sync.

What I don't get is Magnotta's initial not guilty plea. Do you think it's safe to assume Luka wasn't forthright with his lawyer in the beginning and that the evidence presented was a revelation to them? Luka being so arrogant to not think they had solid evidence and Leclair just as surprised as everyone else...and now the best he can hope for is a reduced murder charge? And does Magnotta maintain the not guilty plea at this point, if he clearly is guilty?

I know they always try for a reduced charge/sentence, I guess I'm just glad they don't appear to be playing the NCR card.

What I don't get is Magnotta's initial not guilty plea. Do you think it's safe to assume Luka wasn't forthright with his lawyer in the beginning and that the evidence presented was a revelation to them? Luka being so arrogant to not think they had solid evidence and Leclair just as surprised as everyone else...and now the best he can hope for is a reduced murder charge? And does Magnotta maintain the not guilty plea at this point, if he clearly is guilty?

I know they always try for a reduced charge/sentence, I guess I'm just glad they don't appear to be playing the NCR card.

I don't think that Magnotta is forthright with himself, his birth identity (Erik Newman) or anyone else on the planet.

He's far too vain, narcissistic and delusional to plead guilty to anything other than being the sexiest man in the courtroom...

I'd speculate that Magnotta is confident that the Crown has no evidence which can't be explained away...

Perhaps the person from France will be called to testify:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...second-degree-murder-charges/article10902433/

More than 30 witnesses have been heard so far. Prosecutor Louis Bouthillier only plans to call one more, from France. However, it remained unclear whether the individual would be called.

Could be any number of people: someone from the flight, someone on the bus, someone at the bar, someone at the hotel... However I really hope it's the guy who claimed he and Magnotta had biblical relations and spent circa 36 hours together at the guy's home. I'm still skeptical that this guy actually exists, but have been yearning for months to hear all the salacious details if he does...

I thought I read this morning it would be a police officer from France testifying. However, that was pre-coffee. Lemme see if I can find where I read that.

Oh yeah here it is

"The Crown has just one more witness to call before it asks the judge to commit the case to trial. A police officer from Paris, France, is scheduled to testify Friday."

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/04/08/magnotta-lawyer-wants-murder-charge-downgraded

After the Crown concludes it's presentation in the preliminary inquiry it will be interesting to see the outcome of the following:

- The response when the presiding judge asks Magnotta if he wishes to testify on his own behalf.

- If the defense calls any witnesses and whom the defense calls if they do present witnesses.

I don't remember LM having anything to do with the police in France.....other than a worldwide manhunt!! :rocker:

Interesting......

After the Crown concludes it's presentation in the preliminary inquiry it will be interesting to see the outcome of the following:

- The response when the presiding judge asks Magnotta if he wishes to testify on his own behalf.

- If the defense calls any witnesses and whom the defense calls if they do present witnesses.

Yeah, I wish I was closer to Montreal, I'd go just to see that!

Am I remembering wrong info or did LM steal something while in Paris?

I was remembering correctly:

He also stayed in the Bastille neighbourhood and in the Clichy-la-Garenne district with a friend, who called police after hearing of the manhunt, according to the French newspaper Le Figaro.

Mr. Magnotta was tracked as late as Saturday night in a western part of Paris, said the newspaper, citing unnamed police sources. Montreal police would only confirm the suspect was seen in France on Friday. The paper said the Canadian fugitive is suspected of two thefts, including one in a perfume store. He was in the company of a large man the paper nicknamed La Colosse – colossus.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/n...anadian-psycho/article4227212/?service=mobile

I disagree with having a publication ban in place. While this whole manhunt was going on we were FLOODED with info. I mean there is a darn VIDEO of the crime that MANY people in this country saw!! (Not me, I had no interest in viewing such vile acts and I know viewing them would have given me some awful nightmares. My younger brother who is 20something foolishly watched said he wished he could "unwatch" it. In other words, erase those horrible images from his mind). So I have an idea of what he did but did not see the actual tape but the media here gave us play by play coverage and there is not much we do not already know from last year when this all went down.

I think a publication ban is pointless and trying to find a pool of people who do not know about the case will be a difficult task to say the least! I heard LM actually curled up into the fetal position and cried at court?? I this true? can anyone verify? If it is true I would say "NOW the tears?? for yourself Luka. Certainly not for your victims!" Surely he realizes that the rest of his life will be spent in a solitary cell with little to no contact with the outside world. We have dangerous offender application here and if he is deemed a D.O he will NEVER be released. Paul Bernardo who kidnapped and killed the schoolgirls Leslie Mahaffy and Kristen French will never take a free breath again. Same for Luka. If convicted he will rot until death in a prison cell. I wish we had the death penalty for people like Luka and Paul Bernardo. Every time one of these crazy people surface and commit heinous crimes the debate re-ignites but the bleeding hearts fight tooth and nail to avoid the re-implementation of the DP. Makes me wonder if it was THEIR child brutally killed if they would feel the same way..

Anyhow, sorry for going all over the place here but I truly believe not only should the publication ban be removed but all proceedings should be streamed live from court like in the US. The public has a right to know. The perp should have minimal rights. Sadly, it is the reverse it seems! The perp has all the rights and the victims get squat!

Although I really hate LM - he is considered innocent until proven guilty.
You are right, in this case it is almost impossible that somebody else comitted the crime - but just imagine LM somehow managed to turn the responsibilty for it over to you, and police arrested you for it.
Wouldnt you be happy to get a fair trail? because in this case you would be innocent, and if werent for the publication ban the whole world would believe it was you murdering, seeing your photo in the news everyday and hate you.

To say it again, I am sure LM is guilty and I wish him all the worst, but the "innocent until proven guilty"-thing and publication ban is a good thing and to me- not just a legal right but a human right.

I understand your point though!
:seeya:

A Court of Quebec judge has ordered Luka Magnotta to stand trial for first-degree murder in the death of Concordia University student Jun Lin in May 2012.

Magnotta will also be tried on four other charges, including causing indignity to Lin's body, broadcasting obscene material, using the postal service to send obscene material and harassment of Prime Minister Stephen Harper and other members of Parliament.

A trial date will be set on April 29

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...notta-preliminary-hearing-trial-decision.html

I'm a bit confused - why do my tweets from court reporters keep getting deleted? They are sharing invaluable information not necessarily making it to print media.

This will probably get deleted like my other postings but her is a tweet from court room reporter Justin Ling:

@Justin_Ling 1h
#Magnotta will be on trial for 1st degree murder. He smiled and waved to a fan after the judge ruled.

This will probably get deleted like my other postings but her is a tweet from court room reporter Justin Ling:

@Justin_Ling 1h
#Magnotta will be on trial for 1st degree murder. He smiled and waved to a fan after the judge ruled.

I read those tweets, too. Good news!

Though, I would have been surprised if the judge agreed to downgrade the charges. That would mean he could ONLY be tried on 2nd degree.

Just based on the tweets I've read from court over the course of the prelim, it would appear this judge is taking no crap, and has seen enough evidence to send this case to trial, and the charges stand on Murder One.

Now we wait. A year.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member