Major avalanche in Colorado

KatK--those are absoltely stunning pictures of what an F4 F5 tornado can do, especially that last picture--I remember when I lived in Oklahoma City and I used to chase tornados about 27 years ago--I always kept a safe distance and always approched them from the south since about 90% of tornadoes travel to the Northeast-----but I couldn't always avoid the hail storms--my old car got pounded!

Yeah, it's very strange for me to see Hoisington now. There were so many large beautiful trees pre-tornado, and almost every one is gone now. :( The old century+ brick Catholic church with a steeple that is two blocks south of the High School survived just fine. I am not certain how many windows had to be replaced though. The shopping center (Grocery store, doctor's offices, pharmacy, and bowling alley were all there.) has been rebuilt, and the hospital and school repaired. The visible damage has been largely repaired, all that remains is the hidden scars. Any time there is a storm now, my parents wonder if they will have to shelter in the safe room. (They aren't the only ones in that town who do this.) They didn't have a safe room to weather the tornado in, nor a basement. (Their house was a block south of the High School, it was damaged past repair.) Any houses that were rebuilt, like my parents' had to have a saferoom put in to meet the new requirements if I recall correctly.

Fox News saying the crews working to clear Highway 40 are experiencing wind chill temps right now of fifteen below zero! and another big cold wave will be arriving soon--guess Global Warming doesn't hit everywhere---In other Colorado news, I think they were able to save all those 70,000 cattle who were starving cuz of all the snow thanks to many volunteers--nice to see people helping out animals in need

KatK--I can relate to the trees going down--think we lost about 30% of our trees thanks to the three hurricanes--Most of the palm trees were unaffected,they are tough, but other trees got knocked down,the thin pines and the melaleuca got slammed--the huge Ficus trees had many leaves stripped but they are coming back nicely--But we still sort of lucked out especially when one considers that Wilma last year was the strongest hurricne ever recorded with sustained winds of 185 mph when it was in the Gulf--Thank God it weakened before it hit

Our evening temps have been hanging around 10 degrees.

My furnace is not keeping up this morning.

KatK said:
Well, the state of Kansas had to sue the state of Colorado to make them stop taking so much out of the Arkansas river, if that tells you anything. Kansas won, and has to periodically take Colorado back to court to make them abide by the ruling. I don't blame the individuals who post here, I doubt any of them farm, FTR. I really do hope that maybe the Colorado droughts will be ended though, it will be better for them, and better for the Arkansas river. That way something good will have come from all the misery and suffering brought on by so much snow. I suppose it did get my back up a bit though, to have people saying how well they take disasters, as if other states don't have to deal with the aftermath of natural events. We all do what we have to, to survive. I hope at least that Colorado will come out of this more healthy, and more able to grow gardens.

:truce:
KatK, Eastern Colorado farmer checking in here. Mmmmmm, I know all about the River fight. We are members of our Farm Bureau and some of our members are on the newly formed board that is looking for solutions. Our farmers have been requested to turn off their irrigation wells voluntarily or they will be ordered to do so within a few years. This is a hardship when you are in a deep drought. As to those Colorado farmers along the Arkansas (south of here, I might add). There is almost no water down near Lamar and LaJunta. All along the front range of the Rockies are building new communities and demanding water service. They divert the water that formerly went to farmers. A few bad decisions in the past caused this problem here.

Another poster mentioned that California would be happy about the snow melt. Many moons ago, from what I understand, we here in Colorado allowed California to divert more water over the agreed amount. We didn't need as much then. For years they took more than the agreement allowed until we needed the water for ourselves. Now that's becoming another fight, to get the water flow to California reduced back the level of the old agreement. Again, the Southwest is getting a huge amount of water from the Colorado river. The farmers in the area near Greeley had to fight urban sprawl to keep water for crops this spring. Someone decided to cut it off in the middle of planting. Farmers don't count, it seems. It's all about someone's green lawn in the city.

On the subject of the thread. I absolutely am terrified of Berthoud Pass. To me it's worse than Wolf Creek and Monarch. I will not go down the Black Canyon. I am terrified by the sheer drops and motorists who go way too fast. Once I get where I'm going in the mountains, I glory in the beauty and majesty, I just hate trying to get there.

We have been hit for three weekends in a row with heavy snow here. I can identify with DK's e-mail. I don't care if it's fake or not, it's true. Today, for the first time I saw the county maintainer come up the road. I've been out 6 times today to fire up the 1 ton, 4 wheel drive truck to get the BarnGod and the tractor un-stuck. We have a relatively small crew in our area of the
I-70 east west corridor, and the 385 north south corridor. When Denver got plowed out, they only sent two more trucks our way. We have neighbors just 2 miles from us that work for CDOT. We had to help them get home. We had a call from a neighbor who was looking for his cattle that walked over a drifted over fence. Another neighbor came through on a loader to help him get them hay when they were found. He also stopped and helped plow our drive, then tossed a big bale of hay into our pasture for some of our horses. Friday night the BarnGod got the tractor stuck in a ditch and I couldn't tow him out, same neighbor came at 7 am Saturday with the big loader and got him out. We did take a break yesterday and went to Nebraska to Cabela's for a shopping spree. Bought tons of insulated underwear and heavy gloves. On the way home, ran into a 30 mile stretch of heavy wind blowing snow across the dry highway. We had bearly gotten home when the wind hit here, with a vengence. This morning all our hard work was gone. We had drifted over again. Now, as Camper says there's a possibility of more snow coming in later this week. I would happily let you all come on out and play in the snow. There's plenty to go around. Bring sled runners and we'll hook up the horses and go for a ride. Bring your cross country skis and we'll tow you behind the sled.

Aye, that is why I hoped that at least the heavy snowfalls would end the drought. Coming from Central Kansas, I know how important non-depleted water tables are. ;) You must also consider, I grew up on the big bend of the Arkansas river. I can remember when it *was* a river at that point, and not a trickle so small that I could cross it without even breaking stride. :( (As in maybe the width of my two small, child sized hands, the last time I had the courage to go look. It broke my heart.) It isn't about urban sprawl with me, that's for sure. The typical color for Kansas lawns is yellow brown for the most part, (unless the lawn is of a type that doesn't need a lot of water, there are some of those) with the exception of clover, alfalfa or maybe dandelions. Lawns are usually green in Kansas in the early spring, when there is snow melt and rainfall to make it so. By June they are yellow(ing), and in July and August they are sere. Farmers do count, I don't think the rights of one state should supersede the rights of another though. Kansas, at least prohibits the watering of lawns in times of drought, (And even goes so far as to limit showers and such as well. I have lived through such times, where we were to limit our usage to showers of X length, and only so often per person/household and no more.) but farmers are allowed their livelihood.

KatK said:
Aye, that is why I hoped that at least the heavy snowfalls would end the drought. Coming from Central Kansas, I know how important non-depleted water tables are. ;) You must also consider, I grew up on the big bend of the Arkansas river. I can remember when it *was* a river at that point, and not a trickle so small that I could cross it without even breaking stride. :( (As in maybe the width of my two small, child sized hands, the last time I had the courage to go look. It broke my heart.) It isn't about urban sprawl with me, that's for sure. The typical color for Kansas lawns is yellow brown for the most part, (unless the lawn is of a type that doesn't need a lot of water, there are some of those) with the exception of clover, alfalfa or maybe dandelions. Lawns are usually green in Kansas in the early spring, when there is snow melt and rainfall to make it so. By June they are yellow(ing), and in July and August they are sere. Farmers do count, I don't think the rights of one state should supersede the rights of another though. Kansas, at least prohibits the watering of lawns in times of drought, (And even goes so far as to limit showers and such as well. I have lived through such times, where we were to limit our usage to showers of X length, and only so often per person/household and no more.) but farmers are allowed their livelihood.
I know all about those lawns and water restrictions, and the seasonal changes in colors of lawns. We don't even have a lawn. If the weeds are plentiful, then we mow them to look like a lawn. We live near a creek, have friends on the Republican River. Both have been dry for years. There is also a dispute between Kansas, Nebraska and Colorado over the use of this water. Kansas benefitted as Nebraska has to insure the flow into Kansas. Colorado has to beg for any water. Too many forks and tributaries and off running creeks to understand how all this works. Same with aquifers.

Thank you browneyes!

I left my home today for the first time since Dec 31. One of my dear daughters closed on a new house on Friday. She is taking over a month to fiddle and do thingies to her new house before moving in, so I ventured over to help unpack some china and pretty little thingies, tour the new digs and chat.

When I moved into the home I live in two years ago, the first thing I did was remove all the grass in the front, and 'rocked it'. Pretty stones, NO WATER needed.

NO one except God waters all the trees in our mountains, and trees in timber country. I thought this would work alright for my trees too.

When the summer was sooooooooooo hot you could not keep the grass green, I merely stopped trying to waste water keeping it green in my fenced backyard.

First of all there was the Bird flu threat, and the mosquito threat with the West Nile flu. I had no desire to sit outdoors in the evening waiting for a bird or a Missouri national bird - 'the mosquito' to bite me and nearly kill me. So I personally saved water last summer, and my water bill reflected my thoughts.

I may next summer create a cement back yard, with pots of stuff. PLUS where mostly flowers reside now, there indeed will be a food crop and a few hardy shrubs and posies.

WE lived for 31 years with a teeny weeny patch of grass outside our rural home, and a teeny patio sized patch of green alongside out cement patio.

The rest of our acreage was left to nature and mowing our weeds made our world beautiful enough too.

I admire folks who keep their yards like green velvet. I love looking at them. I hope they love my rocks too, they are beautiful and are conserving 'OUR' water to boot.

When lifes needs provide lemons for us, we need to make the best use of the lemons. One thing man has not mastered yet is HOW to make water.

I love 'pretty' but having a glass of cold clear 'pretty' does not compare to 'real' water.

I was right with my comment about Snopes. That letter is just recycled glurge, and what it is taken from is untrue. See here. Seems folks can't even try to be original in their bragging about how the state they live in weathers disasters the best. :rolleyes: :twocents:

Camper--you left your home for the first time since December 31st? sounds like you've been snowbound--its good to finally get out I bet--don't want you getting cabin fever :)

Well, some good news for those dealing with the blizzards at least. (Bolding on the "Story Highlights" bullet points mine.)

Bush aids heartland after back-to-back blizzards

Story Highlights

• 14 Colorado counties to get federal relief
• Aid helps 57 Nebraska counties, 44 Kansas counties
• Blizzards slammed region December 18-22, December 28-31
• Storms shut highways, cut power to tens of thousands

DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- President Bush signed emergency declarations allowing federal aid to help Colorado, Nebraska and Kansas recover from back-to-back blizzards that shut down highways and knocked out power to tens of thousands of homes.

Not our county. Denver doesn't have very good eyesight looking east down I-70. I guess our county's sign about being officially certified being emergency preparedness certified is true.

You know how Denver is complaining about snow removal, etc.? Well, the little town of Burlington was so on top of things that as soon as the snow was over (all three storms) the streets were passable. They worked during the snow, tirelessly. Individuals and companies with scoops,loaders and maintainers were out helping the city and county get through streets and roads. It's not the size of the town, as I'm sure we have an equal portion of city vehicles per population as the Denver area to handle the situation. It's the attitude of the people.

BarnGoddess said:
Not our county. Denver doesn't have very good eyesight looking east down I-70. I guess our county's sign about being officially certified being emergency preparedness certified is true.

You know how Denver is complaining about snow removal, etc.? Well, the little town of Burlington was so on top of things that as soon as the snow was over (all three storms) the streets were passable. They worked during the snow, tirelessly. Individuals and companies with scoops,loaders and maintainers were out helping the city and county get through streets and roads. It's not the size of the town, as I'm sure we have an equal portion of city vehicles per population as the Denver area to handle the situation. It's the attitude of the people.

...>>>Amen BarnGoddess, attitude is the important factor followed quickly by ABILITY! WE had an absolutely terrific plow driver on our little part of the world in the rural area we lived in forever. He was one of a kind, an absolute artist at carving the snow out quickly and professionally.

Unfortunately HE retired and moved to Alabama, and our world was never the same again in WINTERTIME. Our main road to town was forever having drifts that would stop any ordinary man, but not old Mr. O. May he RIP, IF he has left our world to plow upstairs.

Camper said:
Thank you browneyes!

I left my home today for the first time since Dec 31. One of my dear daughters closed on a new house on Friday. She is taking over a month to fiddle and do thingies to her new house before moving in, so I ventured over to help unpack some china and pretty little thingies, tour the new digs and chat.

Camper~~you are such a cool Mom and I just love your posts!!! Glad you finally got out of the house. :blowkiss:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back