Major power failure in Los Angeles!

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Pepper, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Pepper

Pepper Former Member

Watching Fox now - there is a major power failure of UNKNOWN ORIGIN in Los Angeles. Gee, I wonder if there is any connection to the terrorist message from the "American" threatening Los Angeles?

2. Loading...

3. Ntegrity

Ntegrity Former Member

YIKES, scary thought :eek:

4. lynie

lynie New Member

OOOPS!! I forgot about this new forum...please ignore my thread in the Jury Room...sorry...

lynie

PS...they think it is due to a power line being cut in half. Must be a mighty big power line!

5. Ntegrity

Ntegrity Former Member

No Kidding!!!!

6. vanillasky

vanillasky New Member

:eek:

FULL STORY: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,169177,00.html

LOS ANGELES — A major portion of Los Angeles lost power Monday afternoon and officials said early indications were that a power line was accidentally cut.

Outages were reported from downtown to the coast and north into the San Fernando Valley, according to the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power.

A Los Angeles Fire Department official said it appeared a line somehow had been cut.

Terrorism was not suspected, according to police Sgt. Catherine Plows, though the Los Angeles Police Department went on "full tactical alert," meaning no officers were allowed to leave duty.

Traffic was snarled at intersections throughout the city when stoplights went dark.

Fire officials said they received reports of people stuck in elevators and traffic was snarled at intersections throughout the city when stop lights went dark. Some neighboring cities also were affected.

The weather did not appear to be a factor; skies were overcast in the region.

Stephanie McCorkle, spokeswoman for the California Independent System Operator, said grid managers were watching the outage closely, but had no additional information.

When power went out about 1:15 PDT, some feared there was a connection to terrorism — a concern made stronger because of a newly-discovered video tape purportedly made by an American member of Al Qaeda.

7. 13th Juror

13th Juror Inactive

Yes - a power line cut in the San Fernando Valley area. Ripple affect took place. Power is now coming back on gradually according to MSNBC & FOX.

Spoke to my sister - Mountain top in Topanga Canyon (LA area) - somehow, they escaped losing power.

Thank God, it wasn't a terrorist strike!

13th Juror

8. Jeana (DP)

Jeana (DP) Former Member

One power line caused all that havoc??? Musta been one heck of a power line!! Hope its back on soon. I'd hate to be stuck in an elevator.

9. vanillasky

vanillasky New Member

That is scary........ and was it yesterday that this tape was aired?? I've been so innundated w/ news lately that my days are mixed up - but if it was yesterday the first time this tape aired, and I know that tape said "Tomorrow, Los Angeles" ..... I know it may not have literally meant "tomorrow", since the London bombings were described as "Yesterday" - but very coincidental.... :eek:

10. Betsy

Betsy New Member

President Bush had better be on his way to Los Angeles with a few thousand flashlights to help these people!!

11. Jeana (DP)

Jeana (DP) Former Member

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :woohoo:

12. Ntegrity

Ntegrity Former Member

LMAO :D

13. dakini

dakini Former Member

Would that his dad's thousand points of light?

14. SandyBee

SandyBee New Member

I don't think that "terror" tape was serious. Looked like another wanna be making a tape in his basement. I'm pretty sure LAPD debunked it.

Glad to hear the power came back on though! Probably caused a lot of panic!

15. KrazyKollector

KrazyKollector New Member

I now know that Pepsi, while tasting good going into your mouth, burns like all heck when coming out the nose during a fit of laughter.

GOOD ONE Betsy!!:laugh: :dance: :D :clap: :cool: :laugh::woohoo: