Making a Murderer Questionnaire - Dissertation project

Took the survey.

I did have a few quibbles about how the thing was presented.

The following is a comment I made in the survey about the 'information left out of the documentary':

"I have looked at some of this 'information left out' previously, and some of it is false, some is misleading, and some is irrelevant.

For example, what someone does to a cat in 1982 is not 'evidence' of a crime supposedly committed in 2005 which does not involve any cats.

Or whether someone has a 'perfect' relationship with their live in girlfriend is not evidence of involvement of a murder of a business acquaintance.

There is no evidence Teresa ever asked her employers that she not be asked to return to Avery Salvage Yard.

Some of this 'information' comes from the prosecutor, Ken Kratz, whose honesty is questionable."

I completed the survey, but I would say that based on the evidence presented, I would not have been a jury member that would have voted guilty, I don't think. I really don't know if he's guilty or innocent, but I still think the verdict was wrong based on lack of evidence that was presented.

Took the survey.

I did have a few quibbles about how the thing was presented.

The following is a comment I made in the survey about the 'information left out of the documentary':

"I have looked at some of this 'information left out' previously, and some of it is false, some is misleading, and some is irrelevant.

For example, what someone does to a cat in 1982 is not 'evidence' of a crime supposedly committed in 2005 which does not involve any cats.

Or whether someone has a 'perfect' relationship with their live in girlfriend is not evidence of involvement of a murder of a business acquaintance.

There is no evidence Teresa ever asked her employers that she not be asked to return to Avery Salvage Yard.

Some of this 'information' comes from the prosecutor, Ken Kratz, whose honesty is questionable."
I didn't take the survey for the reasons you mentioned above. Sorry. If you asked me how I felt about the documentary and IF I felt there were things left out of the documentary then I would have taken it. I don't think mentioning the things left out of MaM was necessary.

I forgot to mention a couple of other things that struck me about the poll:

There are some options listed for 'when did you make up you mind about Steven Avery' listing various points in the documentary and finally 'upon completion of the series'. I think there should be a couple of more options, one of which would be some time after watching the series, and the other being 'I haven't made up my mind about Steven Avery'.

I didn't make up my mind about Steven until some time after doing further reading and research on the case, and the way the poll is worded makes it seem as though the documentary must be what persuades someone one way or the other. And there does seem to be quite a few people who have not made a judgement about Steven's involvement even after watching the documentary and doing additional research.

BigCityAccountant - I agree it was unnecessary to make a list of 'things left out' because it is KK's list of claims and seems to show an implicit bias toward the narrative that MaM is the sole reason many people think Steven is innocent, that Steven's guilt or innocence was the whole point of the documentary, and that KK's list are the only or most important things 'left out'.

I forgot to mention a couple of other things that struck me about the poll:

There are some options listed for 'when did you make up you mind about Steven Avery' listing various points in the documentary and finally 'upon completion of the series'. I think there should be a couple of more options, one of which would be some time after watching the series, and the other being 'I haven't made up my mind about Steven Avery'.

I didn't make up my mind about Steven until some time after doing further reading and research on the case, and the way the poll is worded makes it seem as though the documentary must be what persuades someone one way or the other. And there does seem to be quite a few people who have not made a judgement about Steven's involvement even after watching the documentary and doing additional research.

BigCityAccountant - I agree it was unnecessary to make a list of 'things left out' because it is KK's list of claims and seems to show an implicit bias toward the narrative that MaM is the sole reason many people think Steven is innocent, that Steven's guilt or innocence was the whole point of the documentary, and that KK's list are the only or most important things 'left out'.
Agreed Proudfootz.
I began with Avery and Dassey being guilty. However, having read everything I can on case, I began to have doubts. Those doubts were not propelled by the documentary, but by reading the case files. I believe I had made up my mind that Dassey was innocent before I even watched the documentary. To this day, I cannot say for certain that SA is not guilty, however I tend to believe he is. I watched the documentary 8 months after studying the case. It had little to no impact on my beliefs.

A dissertation for what university and who is your dissertation chair?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't take the survey either. I read through and got as far as, "Avery’s sweat was found under Halbach’s car hood, although no fingerprints were analysed."

I can see where this is going. No thanks.

I didn't take the survey either. I read through and got as far as, "Avery’s sweat was found under Halbach’s car hood, although no fingerprints were analysed."

I can see where this is going. No thanks.

Yep, the "sweat" stopped me too.

Sounds very interesting, I would like to read at least an excerpt

Unfortunately, I could not open the survey. IMHO When I remove my emotions and focus on being analytical I tend to see things differently. It seems like the major focus is SA and little is said about H. She is the true victim here. I also remind myself that as much as I love documentaries, they many times present things in a specific manner based on their particular beliefs. I'm not saying that the SA doc was doing this. As for me, I think it is likely he is guilty and he brought his poor relative into his mess. I imagine there might be other docs on his case out there that could shine different lights on the subject.
RIP H.

I could not open the survey, either, so apparently it has been deleted.

However, I have looked at the information available on this case from a variety of sources, and there is no doubt in my mind that the correct person was convicted. The evidence is overwhelming proof of guilt, in my opinion.

It seems odd to me that anyone would question the verdict when looking at the totality of the evidence. I suppose it can be blamed on the CSI effect, which has created an atmosphere where almost no amount of evidence is enough to satisfy some people.

I am undecided about the level of involvement by the nephew, but he strikes he as someone that Avery could have easily manipulated into helping him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back