Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may be a daft question, but do these huge ships have speedboats on board? They must have something smaller and faster, so WHY aren't they getting to all this reported debris sooner? 300 pieces spotted by Thailand, someone should be picking it up by now, the slowness is sooo frustrating!

It sure seems like something would have been picked out of the water by now. The boats have been there for at least 3 days (at least the 1 china boat), and they dont have to come back at nightfall so they have all day during daylight hours to search.

Something is not making sense to me. The waterlogged theory of debris actually being under the water maybe what most of the objects are.

I hate to be negative, but I have to get this out. This is impossible. The area is too broad and too dynamic with weather, winds and currents. The search vessels are not fast enough to reach (days old) sightings before they move (either laterally or vertically).

A dog has a better chance of catching its tail. The vastness of this search is just too much. Part of me wants them to stop before there are more casualties.

I agree the delay in getting the GPS coordinates to the searchers may be part of the problem. I dont understand why a satellite phone call directly to the ship cant be done once debris confirmed.

Something does not seem right to me about all these sightings and not 1 single piece being able to be plucked to look at.

IMO~~ This tragedy was not human error. I believe the pilot and co-pilot did everything in their power for as long as they could to avert any catastrophe.

Those in mourning have my respect and sympathy.

PETALING JAYA: Deputy Defence Minister Abdul Rahim Bakri today said that he erred in responding to questions as to why the Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) had not acted when they noticed MAS flight MH370 had made a turn back on March 8, before vanishing from the radar.
“With regards to my statement while debating the royal address, that RMAF assumed the turn back was directed by the air control tower, I would like to clarify that it was merely my assumption.
“After making further checks, I would like to clarify that my assumption was inaccurate,” said Rahim in a statement released by the ministry’s corporate communications unit.
Yesterday he told the Parliament session that the RMAF did not probe the unidentified aircraft signal caught on the military radar in the wee hours of March 8 because it ‘assumed’ the flight had been ordered to make the turn back by the civilian air traffic control tower located at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport.
“We thought the aircraft was non-hostile, we assumed the turn back was a directive from the control tower,” he said.

http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/ca.../27/defence-ministry-backtracks-on-statement/

Is my reading comprehension failing? He assumed ATC told 370 to turn back and it was non-hostile but he assumed incorrectly? So what is his corrected statement? I must be missing something. I don't see him retract and restate anything.

<modsnip>

Here are the Thai images, I can't make anything out:

1395917152_9791130_hirunews_Thai-satellite-finds-300-floating-objects-in-jet-search.jpg

http://www.hirunews.lk/80102/thai-satellite-finds-300-floating-objects-in-jet-search

here's another version:

http://media.kgw.com/images/470*264/thai+satellite+malaysian+airliner+two.jpg

http://www.kgw.com/news/world/Thai-...pected-Malaysia-jet-crash-site-252633791.html

That is strange. This was tweeted yesterday in regards to the 122 objects found: UMM nevermind...I need to wake up!

David KaminskiMorrow &#8207;@FlightDKM Mar 26 https://twitter.com/FlightDKM
Airbus Defence & Space imaging has identified 122 potential objects 2,557km from Perth. #MH370

David KaminskiMorrow &#8207;@FlightDKM Mar 26
Objects discovered by Airbus imaging cover area of around 400sqkm, but origin undetermined. #MH370

#MH370 photo layout confusing: co-ordinates of five points lie within 22km x 22km area, and in different order pic.twitter.com/PfB3B4b8lk

Attachments

• BjpTq4kCIAENW93.jpg
    BjpTq4kCIAENW93.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 7
I hate to be negative, but I have to get this out. This is impossible. The area is too broad and too dynamic with weather, winds and currents. The search vessels are not fast enough to reach (days old) sightings before they move (either laterally or vertically).

A dog has a better chance of catching its tail. The vastness of this search is just too much. Part of me wants them to stop before there are more casualties.

Not only that, this VAST area of ocean floor has never been mapped. Active volcanoes, mountain ranges on par with the Himalayas, canyons, earthquakes constantly shifting the terrain. When dinosaurs went extinct 60 MILLION years ago, India was an island off the southeast coast of Africa.

My point is that this portion of our Earth is violently and rapidly changing. The 'haystack' to be searched for a needle is constantly changing.

That is strange. This was tweeted yesterday in regards to the 122 objects found: UMM nevermind...I need to wake up!

David KaminskiMorrow &#8207;@FlightDKM Mar 26 https://twitter.com/FlightDKM
Airbus Defence & Space imaging has identified 122 potential objects 2,557km from Perth. #MH370

Objects discovered by Airbus imaging cover area of around 400sqkm, but origin undetermined. #MH370

#MH370 photo layout confusing: co-ordinates of five points lie within 22km x 22km area, and in different order pic.twitter.com/PfB3B4b8lk

I guess we are not the only ones confused then?

:waitasec:

This visual is helpful.

It looks to me, not that I would know for sure, like the debris field is at least in a very large general area. At least that gives a sort of point to go to.

It is unfortunate it is out smack in the middle of the ocean, far away from land. I wonder if the cyclone made the water keep it circling in a general large area?

Been reading some of the entries about how hard it is to get to. http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...-objects-appear-then-vanish-in-roiling-waves/

This may be a daft question, but do these huge ships have speedboats on board? They must have something smaller and faster, so WHY aren't they getting to all this reported debris sooner? 300 pieces spotted by Thailand, someone should be picking it up by now, the slowness is sooo frustrating!

Not a daft question!

I don't think this area is safe for smaller boats. And we may look at the "dots" on the map and think "just go over there!" but the "dots" are separated by many many miles. Everything is constantly moving, they are restricted by severe weather conditions, etc.

And something on the surface of a churning ocean may be below the surface 10 minutes later, then emerge again to the surface later. I can't imagine how discouraging it must be for the searchers!

What about the four angles of investigation &#8220;Sabotage, hijack, personal differences between the crew and passengers and psychological problems of the crew and passengers&#8221;? Have the police narrowed down the angle of the investigation? Are they going to cancel out all four angles or add more to it?
Intelligence agencies have cleared the passengers for terrorism so it leaves 12 crew members as suspects. What have the police received so far?
These and many other burning questions need to be answered by the police. They owe this to the family and friends of relatives of those on board.
The foreign governments are also waiting for answers so that they can move on from this tragedy.
This is not a minor case which can be swept under the carpet. It is not only Malaysians, the whole world is waiting as well.

http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/nation/2014/03/27/all-eyes-on-msian-police/

Jon Williams &#8207;@WilliamsJon 1m
Japan provided Malaysia with 4 satellite images taken yesterday of 10 objects that may be from #MH370. Shortest gap between capture & search

https://twitter.com/WilliamsJon

Jon Williams &#8207;@WilliamsJon 1m
Japan provided Malaysia with 4 satellite images taken yesterday of 10 objects that may be from #MH370. Shortest gap between capture & search

https://twitter.com/WilliamsJon

Later Thursday, Japan said that one of its satellites also spotted about 10 objects southwest of Perth in a 6-mile radius. It wasn't immediately clear where the objects were located in relation to the earlier satellite sightings.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...0001424052702304418404579463861462411266.html

Malaysia said on Thursday that it's sending a team to Perth to assist with the search for Malaysia Airlines (MAS) flight MH370.

The team will consist of representatives from MAS, Department of Civil Aviation, the Royal Malaysian Navy and the Royal Malaysian Air Force, according to a press statement.

"This team will work closely with the Australian Rescue Coordination Centre to assist with the search operation,'' it said.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breakin...forts-malaysia-airlines-flight-mh370-20140327

This just seems so tardy!! The search teams have been out there since 18th or 19th & Malaysia is only just now sending in their own resources?!?!?!

This just seems so tardy!! The search teams have been out there since 18th or 19th & Malaysia is only just now sending in their own resources?!?!?!

It does seem wrong. But, did they have to ask for any kind of special permission to be there? Were they waiting to be granted permission?

MH370 rattles relationships in growing Asian bloc

When ASEAN leaders next meet in May, the likely controversy will surround member state Malaysia and its woeful handling of the MH370 disaster, writes Peter Lloyd

It's already proven to be a huge loss of face for Malaysia, which has lost a state-owned aircraft and 239 passengers and crew in circumstances that it still cannot explain.

This is compounded by the view from within the ASEAN membership that Kuala Lumpur mishandled the affair; from delays in sharing information, the provision of confusing messages and wildly contradictory information, and the emerging belief that it openly deceived other states about the search.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-03-...s-relationships-in-growing-asian-bloc/5349340

It does seem wrong. But, did they have to ask for any kind of special permission to be there? Were they waiting to be granted permission?

IMO they seemed very content to let other countries spend tons of money to do all the hard work and find anything and you watch....as soon as the plane is found, they are going to demand that they get access to the black box first and then hide the truth of what is on it.

I seriously hope other governments demand they get access to the black box first before Malaysia since they are spending all the money to find it.

ETA - Look what happened with the Egypt investigation. Perfect example. We had better learned from that and we better be taking steps in advance to ensure we get access to get proper determination of what happened.

It is kind of like finding a sunken old treasure ship full of gold in international waters. The country of origin tries to come in and claim the gold after another independent firm spent tons of money in finding a sunken treasure ship.

IMO---finders keepers.

Gotta hand it to wolf blitzer. When he interviewed the USA reporter who filed this report, he clarified that this "report" was generated by a single Malaysian police contact, and he asked the reporter if he had gotten any collaborating affirmations from ANY other source. The reporter responded "no, but we are going to tonight." Since that would have been lazt night and since nothing else has been forthcoming about the "report" the skepticism of the three CNN experts who severely faulted the "report" as Blitzer nd the reporter looked on appears more reliable than the report itself. One pilot literally laughed on air as the assumptions within the report were being read by Blitzer, and ALL 3 on air experts attacked both the content of the report and the souce. Even the former NTSB head on the panel ( mary Schivao )dismissed the report.

The panelists all agreed that all of their sources made it clear that there was currently no evidence implicating the Captain or anyone else for that matter.

And, btw, the concept which was stated in the report that neither the first officer or anyone else on board could have done it was particularly derided by the panel. One panelist calling it a insult to first officers everywhere.

Also, one day I was watching Martin Savidge and Mitchell the pilot in the flight simulator....and Mitchell said something like, oh people can learn a lot from using the flight simulator b/c all the controls, etc., are exact replica of the 777 and so they don't even have to get into the actual plane to learn where all the controls are.

Yes, Captain Shah had a flight simulator, but IMO he didn't need a flight simulator for what the plane did........BECAUSE HE WAS ALREADY A 777 PILOT. So I do not know what the big deal of him having a flight simulator is. The evidence is that the plane took off, flew to one point, turned left, flew to another point, POSSIBLY changed altitudes a couple of times, flew to another point, flew to another point, and then (possibly) turned and flew out across the ocean. Captain Shah WOULD HAVE ALREADY KNOWN how to do those things, like taking off and turning. WHY would he need to practice this on the flight simulator?

Does it not make sense that possibly someone in a terrorist organization could also get a hold of a flight simulator? That someone (probably a pilot already) could just practice the controls in a 777? A pilot would already know how to fly, all they would have to do is study and learn the controls of a 777 - which can be done with a flight simulator.

JMO.

Is my reading comprehension failing? He assumed ATC told 370 to turn back and it was non-hostile but he assumed incorrectly? So what is his corrected statement? I must be missing something. I don't see him retract and restate anything.

<modsnip>.

bbm

:floorlaugh:

The sentence that was quoted as being said by him to Parliament does not make ANY sense.

Interesting article on what the Malaysian people think and other info.MOre at link.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/op...irlines-catalyst-pol-2014326114154815905.html
Malaysians are split about the way the leadership has managed these catastrophic events - a fissure that mirrors a virtual 50-50 political divide between the government and the opposition.

...This deflection of blame and initial arrogant nature of the Malaysian leadership during the first chaotic days is vexingly reminiscent of the behaviour of the ruling party, UMNO and its coalition flunkeys.
Time and time again the leadership plays the so-called unity card. Malaysia is dominated politically and demographically by ethnic Malays, with Chinese and Indians making up around 30 percent of the population. It employs the fear of violent disunity among the three races to instil compliance and suppress open debate.

Race and religion are used on a daily basis to rupture the relationships between the three ethnic groups. Today, unlike in the 1970s and 1980s, there is very little intermingling, between Malays, Indians and Chinese. The country now has Malay teachers telling their third, fourth and fifth generation Malaysian-born Chinese and Indian students to go back to where their forefathers came from and as time goes by, the Chinese and Indians are finding themselves increasingly politically and economically crowded out of their home.
I believe in the late 90's Chinese and Indians made up closer to 45% of the population (roughly 35% Chinese 10% Indians), but I'd have to recheck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave