Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
bbm

Oh I agree about the transponder. From reading the article it seems like two radar systems, with one that tracks automatically after 29,000 ft. So that's what I was referring to. And, I know nothing of his stuff - just quoting from the article. It's an excellent read. :)

The automatic transponder works at all altitudes, not just above 29,000 ft. The websites that track planes in that area doesn't have the ability to track a plane below 29,000 ft. It has to do with their coverage in the area, which is not good that far out over the sea, not to do with it not sending signals. If you look at the video that we saw the first couple of days, you can see that they had no trouble tracking the plane when it was over land before it reached cruising altitude.

Hi guys...morning here, just got the kids of to school and I think I have become obsessed with this plane!!!

So now the plot thickens and I hear on the news that the military had this on radar....and that it has gone totally of course and could have flown for about 1 hr 10 mins or similar..

One thing is obvious, we were not being told the full story from the beginning.....I wonder when the military actually told the airline officials etc??? as they have had everyone searching in one area, when the whole time the military knew they were in another area.

Or do I have that wrong?????

I find that suspicious alone that they were sitting on that info for a couple of days.

and Softail and Waddles, I'm with you re the phones.....I know its been explained, but I still think it very odd that those phones rang, and that no one got any texts etc out at a lower altitude!

And re everyone being asleep....nah I am another one that sleeps in 10 min burst or similar.....everytime turbulence is hit I am awake with a bang and cant sleep again....and when you look around the plane you are never the only one....

If it was being hijacked maybe they took all the phones and tech devices from everyone.... just thinking aloud..

very very odd case. And today I had a little glimmer of hope that maybe these people are alive on land somewhere......but it is only a little glimmer.

Revampz... I always appreciate your RE-caps,when you sign on here!

:loveyou:

That's why I'm confused. Yes, it sounded as if the couple was returning to Beijing from Vietnam. The man said they vacationed in Vietnam. He added the location at the end - the last thing he said. It was as if he specifically wanted us to know they were in Vietnam. The comment went under the radar like the plane supposedly did.

My parents recently went on a trip that included Vietnam. Entirely possible that the cheapest air rate that they could get was through a connecting flight in Malaysia. I really don't understand the humongous leap from the poor couple who was on a flight home from a vacation in Vietnam to maybe they hijacked the plane? Seriously?

Heck no, I can't remember lunch.

But I can find it.

SilkAir Flight 185 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wth?!? Why?? Why would he do this???!! I mean, gah, come on. Don't they screen pilots?? I just ... did he say anything to the passengers?? Did he leave a note?? I already hate flying and have to be drugged up before stepping foot an a plane. I just.. I can't even...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My parents recently went on a trip that included Vietnam. Entirely possible that the cheapest air rate that they could get was through a connecting flight in Malaysia. I really don't understand the humongous leap from the poor couple who was on a flight home from a vacation in Vietnam to maybe they hijacked the plane? Seriously?

not the way I took this or the way it was intended IMO. The original poster was just sharing - not making a link between the two at all.

Me too. :blushing: :seeya:

Me too I am constantly searching twitter and news articles for updates. I was the same with the AF447 disaster and 9/11. I can't get over how so many people including children are now gone most likely dead and I am irrationally worrying if it is going to happen to another plane soon. I was at the cinema today and I couldn't concentrate or enjoy the film at all I was constantly checking my phone for updates.

I'm glad I went to see the film non stop before this happened I couldn't watch it now at the moment with this happening.

I'm confident we will find out what has happened but it is going to take time.

Thank you for all your updates and posts they are much appreciated.

Why is it possible to turn the transponder on an airplane off? The black box can't be turned off. It has it's own power source so it doesn't drain on the electrical system. Why can't the transponder be the same?

Maybe in case someone with nefarious intentions gets into the control booth(s)... And a plane does not want to be "seen" anymore... out of protection?

Just an idea...

(Kind of a reverse hijack kind of thing?)

I had thought that pilot suicide/intentional grounding was a distinct possibility -- certainly more likely than terrorism -- until I heard that the jet had flown off-course for an hour before disappearing from radar.

I think it's still a good theory, just that the pilot, or co-pilot wanted the plane not to be found (possibly leaving behind an insurance policy, or just not wanting himself to be found out that he did this). So he disables the other pilot, turns off the transponder, flies off into an area not covered by radar (I think as close as 30 miles off the west coast of Malaysia), and ditches the plane there. Or even further afield, in the middle of the Indian Ocean.
Anyhow, that is my current theory.

I am not convinced that plane turned around - as I am understanding things I am reading they had no ID on that plane tracked by the military. Is that correct?

Good luck with that. I have been trying to access it for a while now, no such luck

Last night I was moving right along had 40 agrees and halfway done with my map. When I came back to it I refreshed it and poof! it was gone! :banghead:

Ok, I am back on but I wish there was a way to know where on the big map I am actually looking.

Wouldn't NORAD know exactly where it is?
It's more than a little scary if they don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NORAD? I don't follow..from what I know it does not extend beyond the US and Canadian defense system.

NORAD is a joint Canadian/American operation that was created to defend North America and from what I know the airspace and water surveillance is for any threat approaching Canada and the US

Have I missed something about NORAD operations beyond protecting Canada and the US?

Killing 239 people for an insurance policy seems unlikely to me, but then again nothing really makes any sense with this.

bbm

I think someone may have taken it down, knowing it was hijacked and a danger. Unlikely, maybe - but possible. Hence the delay in information to the general public. Trying to decide how to handle it?

I wonder about that too but if that happened wouldn't there be a lot of debris?

BBM ~ I've left my passport with shady people several times while traveling in Thailand. Mind you, this was 2004.

However, it was common-practice for travelers to do if they wanted to get around on a motorbike, which to me is more riskier than losing a passport.

If I lost or had a passport stolen, i'd report it to the Canadian Embassy and there should be due diligence on how embassies around the world manage this database. :twocents:

Glad it worked out for you (riding the motorbike - lol!). Why chance adding to a problem to include a potential problem/hassle of your own?
I lived in Thailand for five years/divided. Never needed to exchange my passport for services of any kind.
There are many reasons not to surrender a passport in a foreign country imo.

Killing 239 people for an insurance policy seems unlikely to me, but then again nothing really makes any sense with this.

I think it is quite common that people who intend to commit suicide try and hide it if they can. One motivation is shame. Another is no payout to the person left behind holding the insurance policy. I think intentionally killing a plane of people solely for an insurance payout is hard to fathom, but there are three cases I have heard of in the past five years of pilot suicide, so that is not hard for me to fathom, at this point. The difficulty locating the wreckage may be due to an insurance motive, perhaps.
This is just so bizarre, all around, anything starts to seem feasible after awhile :scared::scared::scared:

Say what? Who suggested the couple hijacked the plane? I've been away fixing my dinner plate. That thought never crossed my mind.
I just typed what I heard and am puzzled by it. The man may have misspoke but I wish there had been a followup question.

The leap I made but have no clue if possible, is if the plane actually stopped in Vietnam since its location is between KL and where the plane was supposed to be headed, Beijing.

Am I off with my geography?

Pilot suicide is always possible, but I always have trouble wrapping my mind around that. Even the cases where it's considered the likely cause, it's so hard to say for sure. I know one possible case involved a pilot who was on his last flight before he was being forced to resign due to allegations of inappropriate behavior with women - I could see rage at the airliner as a motivator, but few other cases. I know many times things happen that are hard to understand, but rarely does someone take many innocent people out with them without having been noticeably angry and distressed beforehand. It's possible more could come out regarding the pilot, but I find that unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23