Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
#‎update‬: An oil slick has been detected in the ‪#‎MH370‬ search area but the source is yet to be determined, Angus Houston told the media a short time ago.

MORE to come...

Don't understand how there could be much of an oil slick with the plane having traveled that far.

the oil leaks from the engine turbines or hydraulics. it's not fuel.

Not an expert on planes but remembered this…….

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ea-in-search-for-missing-Malaysian-plane.html

"However, Vietnamese authorities said they had spotted a 14-mile long oil slick 120 miles off the coast of Cape Ca Mau - the most southerly point of Vietnam's mainland.
A Vietnamese government statement said the slicks were spotted late on Saturday off the southern tip of Vietnam and were each between six and nine miles long. There was no confirmation that the slicks were related to the missing plane, but the statement said they were consistent with the kinds that would be produced by the two fuel tanks of a crashed jetliner."

Not an expert on planes but remembered this…….

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ea-in-search-for-missing-Malaysian-plane.html

"However, Vietnamese authorities said they had spotted a 14-mile long oil slick 120 miles off the coast of Cape Ca Mau - the most southerly point of Vietnam's mainland.
A Vietnamese government statement said the slicks were spotted late on Saturday off the southern tip of Vietnam and were each between six and nine miles long. There was no confirmation that the slicks were related to the missing plane, but the statement said they were consistent with the kinds that would be produced by the two fuel tanks of a crashed jetliner."

Hmmm. Off the coast of Vietnam? How far is this from the search area with the pings?

Everyday this search gets curiouser and curiouser. MOO

I read where James Cameron, the movie director has a vessel that can go deep into the ocean with no problems. It was designed for one of his movies. Has he volunteered to loan it in this difficult task? Has anyone contacted him? It sounds like it can go faster and do a better job than what is available now. Hope the two entities get together so we can have a resolution ASAP?

I saw he was being interviewed on CNN, but I had the sound down while I was working on something.

Easter time?

easter-bunny.jpg

No wonder kids cry sometimes when seeing Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny if they look like this. :floorlaugh:

The report was from March 8th and is just being re-reported today. I believe they tested the oil from the slick and it was not from an aircraft.

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2014/03/1...t-belong-missing-malaysia-airlines-flight-370

It makes me wonder how thorough Malaysia tested that oil and if they even considered it could be from hydraulic fluid or oil in engines and not just jet fuel. They came out very quick with this assessment and I am not convinced they did thorough testing of the 3 or 4 types of oil type fluid that could be on a plane.

http://www.businessinsider.com/aeri...-to-be-from-the-missing-malaysia-plane-2014-3

When there is a possible lead like this we dont get good feelings that Malaysia is thourough in their analysis and just brushes it off. Like why didnt they say it was not the 3 or 4 types of fluid that a plane could have. Oil in engine, Hydraulic Fluids, Jet Fuel, etc.

They just brushed it off.

And not only that....They should tell us the source of this fluid if it wasnt from the plane. Then what was it from? Just happened to be there? I just dont get good vibes from their officials that they are thorough about anything like this.

Further info on the oil slick...

14th April,2014

"I can report Ocean Shield detected an oil slick yesterday evening in her current search area," he said.

"A sample of about two litres has been collected and we are a number of days [away] before it can be landed ashore and conclusively tested.

"I stress the source of the oil is yet to be determined but the oil slick is approximately 5,500 metres down-wind and down-sea from the vicinity of the detections picked up by the towed pinger locator on Ocean Shield."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-14/malaysia-airlines-mh370-underwater-vessel-to-be-sent/5388550

Further info on the oil slick...

14th April,2014

"I can report Ocean Shield detected an oil slick yesterday evening in her current search area," he said.

"A sample of about two litres has been collected and we are a number of days [away] before it can be landed ashore and conclusively tested.

"I stress the source of the oil is yet to be determined but the oil slick is approximately 5,500 metres down-wind and down-sea from the vicinity of the detections picked up by the towed pinger locator on Ocean Shield."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-14/malaysia-airlines-mh370-underwater-vessel-to-be-sent/5388550

Thank You. I didnt realize this was a 2nd "Oil Event". This new one is interesting and was found by search crews in Austrailia. Very interesting.

With so many ships in the area it is possible one of the ships leaked something but it seems this could be another promising lead that it could possibly be from the plane.

I am confident Austrailia will test it very well and test it for all types of fluid a plane has (Hydrualic, engine oil, jet fuel, Transmission Fluid, etc.). There are many types on a plane.

I guess it's kind of soon to say, but it sounds like the plane's crash site will be found soon.

Retired Air Chief Marshal Angus Houston says the vehicle will first search an area of about 40 square kilometres.

Retired Air Chief Marshal Houston says he is not confident about finding plane debris on the ocean surface.

"The chances of any floating material being recovered have greatly diminished and it will be appropriate to confer with Australia's partners to decide the way ahead later this week," he said.

40 sq kilometres = 15.44 sq miles

Looks like they have defined their initial underwater search area now.

I guess it's kind of soon to say, but it sounds like the plane's crash site will be found soon.

I sure hope so. Between looking for #MH370, trying to find Relisha Rudd and keeping things straight in the Oscar Pistorius trial, I am about to lose my sanity. :eek:
It would be wonderful to get some encouraging news.

Regarding the first oil slick discovered on March 8, I wonder if MH370 may have dumped some fuel before turning around and heading west, allowing it to travel at a lighter weight for some reason. For example, it would make it easier, wouldn't it, to fly at lower altitude.

It makes me wonder how thorough Malaysia tested that oil and if they even considered it could be from hydraulic fluid or oil in engines and not just jet fuel. They came out very quick with this assessment and I am not convinced they did thorough testing of the 3 or 4 types of oil type fluid that could be on a plane.

http://www.businessinsider.com/aeri...-to-be-from-the-missing-malaysia-plane-2014-3

When there is a possible lead like this we dont get good feelings that Malaysia is thourough in their analysis and just brushes it off. Like why didnt they say it was not the 3 or 4 types of fluid that a plane could have. Oil in engine, Hydraulic Fluids, Jet Fuel, etc.

They just brushed it off.

And not only that....They should tell us the source of this fluid if it wasnt from the plane. Then what was it from? Just happened to be there? I just dont get good vibes from their officials that they are thorough about anything like this.

If I remember they reported the slick was marine oil so I deduced it was from a boat. jmo

I just got some link shared on FB. It was a video and said jet has been found, was hijacked and crashed on an island. It has to be bogus since no one here is reporting.

Edited: It's a scam going around on facebook!

I read where James Cameron, the movie director has a vessel that can go deep into the ocean with no problems. It was designed for one of his movies. Has he volunteered to loan it in this difficult task? Has anyone contacted him? It sounds like it can go faster and do a better job than what is available now. Hope the two entities get together so we can have a resolution ASAP?

CNN.com was showing the bluefin in the live feed box about an hour ago. They said they have to map the ocean floor 1st; before bringing the more sophisticated equipment in; the robot type vehicles.

From the How deep is deep article Keep plunging

The pressure at nearly 15,000 feet is crushing -- so much so that very few manned submarines can withstand it.
"There are only about half a dozen subs that can go to half the ocean depth with a number of countries having that capability," said Sylvia Earle, an oceanographer for National Geographic. "If it gets to the point of collapse, it basically implodes, it just crushes."

Only a handful of people have traveled to such staggering depths. One of them is movie director James Cameron, who using a state-of-the-art vessel, dropped 35,000 feet, or about 7 miles, to the deepest place on Earth -- the Challenger Deep in the western Pacific Ocean.

James Cameron emerges from 'alien world' at ocean's depths

Malaysia Airlines Flight 370: Pings go silent; search goes underwater It will take the probe and its operators 24 hours to map each portion of the search area -- two hours to descend, 16 hours to map, another two hours to rise to the surface and four hours for operators to download and analyze the information.

The first mission will cover an area 5 kilometers by 8 kilometers (3.1 miles by 4.9 miles). It will take up to two months to scan the entire search area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks