Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
WSJ reporter saying that the plane was at a normal cruise altitude when it was last "pinged" and that they know where it was (GPS) at that time (at the end of the 4-5 hours).

Quote:
Flight MH370 sent “signals to a satellite for four hours after the aircraft went missing,” the Associated Press quotes an unnamed US official as saying:

The official said the Boeing 777-200 wasn’t transmitting data to the satellite, but sending out a signal to establish contact. Boeing offers a satellite service that can receive a stream of data during flight on how the aircraft is functioning.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn’t authorized to speak publicly, said Malaysia Airlines didn’t subscribe to that service, but the system was automatically pinging the satellite anyway.

The official also said some messages involving a different data service were received for a short time after the plane’s transponder went silent.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/bl...is-detected-by-chinese-satellite-live-updates

thanks for this.......

for we non technical minded people this is quite hard to get a grip on,...I start reading the technical stuff and it starts going 'blah blah blah oh the washing has finished' in my head...

also I am multitasking here, selling on ebay, housework and this all at the same time, so I do miss pages and skim through them as it moves so fast and is hard to catch up.....

so for those who are like me, we do appreciate you technies explaining this to us over and over......we are not stupid, just have talents in other areas :drumroll:

So, now I am getting that re the data being sent back to Rolls Royce etc had stopped (not subscribed to) , as well as the transponder (switched off) but there was still a pinging to the satellites saying "I have data"..

Now for the question: is this how they are determining it was flying for four hours? by these pings? and if that is how, then will it still ping underwater or if crashed as well? (hope that doesn't seem silly to ask)

Thanks manpam also for explaining re this data collection on the last thread....

Now re the gps on planes....on our news program last night they said there was new technology that tracks planes at all times, however not everyone is using it yet...Australia only on a certain type of plane, I think the US has it on all they said......they gave a list of countries using it.... but not Malaysia

Can someone please give me update. I have been at work all day... And haven't been able to follow along.

Does anybody know when the next scheduled presser is? They have generally been scheduled for 1700 local time (0500 EST) but I know there have been frequent deviations (sometimes pushing up the time, but usually pushing it back).

Sri Jegarajah ‏@cnbcSri 1h
@CNBC cameraman Lye Kwai Chuen sets up for the next #MH370 press briefing pic.twitter.com/QdTtwHP3vY

https://twitter.com/cnbcSri

Only found this.

:seeya: ilovepierre, there are not many reasons why one be turned off.

Even it is turned off or faulty, why isn't there a back-up system?

i believe the 2nd transponder is the backup. jmo

Communication satellites received intermittent data "pings" from a missing Malaysia Airlines 3786.KU -4.08% jet, giving the plane's location, speed and altitude for at least five hours after it disappeared from civilian radar screens, people briefed on the investigation said Thursday.
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...0001424052702304185104579437573396580350.html

Sound like a lot more than just pings to me.

Why is transponder made available to the pilot to turn on or off?

Why,/when would a pilot want to turn it off?

I heard on CNN that the transponders can cause a fire in certain situations, so they turn them off.

As people flock online to find out about the missing MH370 flight, an eBay seller has sought to profit from the trend by "flipping" the domain name MH370.com.

The hashtag #PrayforMH370 has been tweeted more than 1.8 million times since news of the missing flight broke on Friday night - and been used to share messages of condolence and support. But in an attempt to monetise the flow of traffic, somebody

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-26515165

so there is no reason we can think of that would make a pilot purposefully tur off a trams ponder in flight except in a situation where you are preparing to land and another plae is near to you? I understand WHY pilots have a means of putting the thing on standby or turning it off so to speak, but why would a pilot do that in flight?

Are there any other reasons we can think of for that to be done with purpose?

Do they explain WHY this is a needed thing

lol, went to hit post and saw CALIS had already posted a reply

Can someone please give me update. I have been at work all day... And haven't been able to follow along.
I want to help you out but I haven't learned much today either. What is being said now is that the transponders were turned off at different times leading most people to believe it was intentional and CNN is running a banner that says there is a significant likelihood the plane is at the bottom of the Indian Ocean. I wish I could be more help.

Do we know for sure it actually kept flying for hours? Or is that just rumor at this point? I agree there is almost no way the pilot just drove around for hours before committing suicide. That would be incredibly odd and pointless, as would turning off the transponder - unless the theory is that he didn't want anyone to know it was a suicide so he didn't want it to be found. It seems quite unlikely to me, but so do all the other scenarios.

Just IMO, out of all the gang I believe Boing more than any govt at this point! They would have no reason to say it and they stated in very early in the story that Rolls monitored for its stats!

Same here..just got home from after putting in a 13hr shift and need to be back at 7am tomorrow morning..
I may have to watch PiersMorgan for a bit

I see it has been a busy day..we are on Thread #5..

Thanks to all who post !!!!

You're not thinking like a terrorist. Planes are expensive - why waste one of your own when you can steal someone else's? Perhaps part of the thrill is the risk. Failing is just taking one for the cause, there's always another terrorist ready to step up and take your place. I think whoever hijacked this plane (assuming) is planning to make a statement, a much bigger one than simply hijacking a plane. This was not a whim, it was a very well researched and well executed plan, IMO, and it hasn't reached stage 2 yet.

People would have thought 9/11 was impossible yet it happened.[/QU

I so agree and its scary.................

Agreed that I trust them more than any government, but Boeing never confirmed it kept flying, did it? An anonymous source reported that Boeing had data indicated it "may" have flown. I believe Boeing has data, but we really don't know for sure what the data suggests. And government officials misunderstand technical information, especially information they don't have clearance to share, all the time. If a Boeing spokesperson or high level U.S. official came out and confirmed this, I would believe it.

There is a back-up. The planes are equipped with two transmitters. If one fails, the other can be switched on.

Does the back-up one turn on automatically if the main transponder fails or does the back-up have to be manually turned on by the pilot/co-pilot?

Margins are blown so bad that I will need to go up in the attic and get a microscope to be able to read.

Many alerts coming from this thread... I think I took care of all the offending posts...

Please stop the bickering and post in a civil manner...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken