Found Deceased Malaysia - Nora Quoirin, 15, from UK, special needs, missing on vacation, Seremban, 4 Aug 2019 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip - rude comments about other posters>
If one uses simple logic, to me it seems more and more likely the young lass has become disorientated on her first night at the house and its new surroundings and most likely inadvertantly wandered off into the brush and thicketts.

I have been to Malaysia several times, although not to this particular part of the country where Nora is missing. What I DO know about Malaysia, however, is that there are a bunch of dangerous wildlife inhabitating the jungles there. Unfortunately, it is quite possible Nora has come across the path of a wild Tiger, a Malayan Sun Bear or a Reticulated Python (which can grow to nearly 30 feet long!) or a King Cobra. I am hoping against hope that is not the case but one that seems increasingly likely. So very sad the whole story.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I read that she had problems with balance. Don't the stairs have railings?
I'm sure if she could not manage the stairs her parents would have had her sleep downstairs or they would have stayed somewhere else.
If she was learning to ride a bike or went on trips to the jungle she must not have had too many problems with mobility. Imo

The parents said that her balance was limited and that she struggles with coordination.

I would be pretty sure that water based activities play an important part in Nora's therapies and a resort like this with infinity pools overlooking the beautiful views would be a very attractive option, not just for her, in order to be able to exercise and play whilst enjoying the support of the water, but also for the whole family to share and relax together.

I have a son who is disabled, so I understand water therapy. I want to know if she can swim. And the attraction is obvious for all that like water activities- I want to know if it is a "no care for safety" attraction.

This area of the Malaysia jungle IS extremely hazardous, and many tourists and climbers have easily gotten lost there! Nora could quite easily disappear there and never been found unfortunately.

Latest story from local news in Malaysia:
<modsnipped for 10% copyright rule>

There were cases of climbers getting lost but they were usually found the next day … but some were found dead and we helped to bring down the victims,” Bernama quoted him as saying.

Among the cases of missing climbers are:

• May 1, 2019 – A climber lost his way for more than 12 hours on Mount Berembun while climbing with his father. He was found at 8am the following day at the foot of the mountain by rescuers.
  • Aug 26, 2017 – Sixteen people, including a child aged four and a three-month-old baby, were reported lost for about five hours while descending Mount Berembun. They eventually found their way back at 2.05am the following day.
  • Oct 16, 2016 – Five medical college students were reported lost for more than seven hours before being found by a search and rescue team the next morning.

The search for Nora Anne and challenges of Gunung Berembun

I have a son who is disabled, so I understand water therapy. I want to know if she can swim. And the attraction is obvious for all that like water activities- I want to know if it is a "no care for safety" attraction.

If Nora has fallen into some of the rivers there, then NO, I don't think it matters if she MAY be able to paddle about a bit in shallow water while being assisted. Especially if she has gone into the river at night. If that is the case, she could have swallowed water and gone to the bottom and not come to the surface for many days. That IS entirely possible for people that drown.

I believe Nora has either drowned in the river and has not yet surfaced, or is somewhere well away from the area in which someone has taken her there. I don't think for one minute she is anywhere within the actual jungle/thick brush as she would have been located by now. It is either a case of being a tragic accident/misadventure or someone knows something and what really happene, i.e. a case of human intervention by someone known or unknown to Nora.

Local Malay news report just in:

Commenting on Nora Anne, who was still missing after four days of search, the Orang Asli community cited two previous cases of missing persons in the resort, with both found within 24 hours.

They indicated that the police canine unit would have detected her scent if she had fainted or anything untoward happened while she was lost.

<modsnip - 10% copyright rule>

In those forest reserves around Seremban there is a vast variety of wildlife, some of it dangerous. Wild boar and panthers are known to inhabit jungle in close proximity to the resort and have been captured on camera traps used to monitor animal populations and breeeding numbers. Asian elephants, tapir and tigers have also been spotted recently. The area is well know for poachers and illegal trading in exotic wildlife. Could Nora have come across something in the jungle someone didn't want her to see, i.e. illegal activities related to animal poaching/black market trade?

There is no way in hell a young child could survive in that heat and humidity, very likely without drinking any water, for anywhere more than a few days! Absolutely NO way!

"In a very hot environment, "an adult can lose between 1 and 1.5 liters [2.1 to 3.2 pints] of sweat an hour, Randall Packer, a biologist at George Washington University in Washington, D.C., wrote for Scientific American. "A child left in a hot car or an athlete exercising hard in hot weather can dehydrate, overheat and die in a period of a few hours."

So how much water does a person need to lose before severe dehydration sets in? According to 2009 National Health Service guidelines in the United Kingdom, severe dehydration sets in when a person loses about 10 percent of their total weight to water loss — though that measurement is too difficult to use in practice.

But at up to 1.5 liters of water loss per hour on a hot day, that kind of dehydration can happen a lot faster than conventional wisdom suggests.

Once a person's water levels dip below a healthy amount, characteristic symptoms set in: thirst, dry skin, fatigue, light-headedness, dizziness, confusion, dry mouth, and speedy pulse and breathing, according to the University of Rochester Medical Center.

As water levels drop inside the body, the liquid gets diverted to fill vital organs with blood, causing cells throughout the body to shrink, Dr. Jeffrey Berns, then the president-elect of the National Kidney Foundation, told The Washington Post in 2014. As water leaches out of brain cells, Berns explained, the brain contracts and blood vessels within the cranium can burst.

Kidneys usually fail first among the organs and stop cleaning waste out of the shrinking blood supply, Berns said. At that point, the other organs fail in a toxic cascade. It's a very painful process."

There is no way in hell a young child could survive in that heat and humidity, very likely without drinking any water, for anywhere more than a few days! Absolutely NO way!

"In a very hot environment, "an adult can lose between 1 and 1.5 liters [2.1 to 3.2 pints] of sweat an hour, Randall Packer, a biologist at George Washington University in Washington, D.C., wrote for Scientific American. "A child left in a hot car or an athlete exercising hard in hot weather can dehydrate, overheat and die in a period of a few hours."

So how much water does a person need to lose before severe dehydration sets in? According to 2009 National Health Service guidelines in the United Kingdom, severe dehydration sets in when a person loses about 10 percent of their total weight to water loss — though that measurement is too difficult to use in practice.

But at up to 1.5 liters of water loss per hour on a hot day, that kind of dehydration can happen a lot faster than conventional wisdom suggests.

Once a person's water levels dip below a healthy amount, characteristic symptoms set in: thirst, dry skin, fatigue, light-headedness, dizziness, confusion, dry mouth, and speedy pulse and breathing, according to the University of Rochester Medical Center.

As water levels drop inside the body, the liquid gets diverted to fill vital organs with blood, causing cells throughout the body to shrink, Dr. Jeffrey Berns, then the president-elect of the National Kidney Foundation, told The Washington Post in 2014. As water leaches out of brain cells, Berns explained, the brain contracts and blood vessels within the cranium can burst.

Kidneys usually fail first among the organs and stop cleaning waste out of the shrinking blood supply, Berns said. At that point, the other organs fail in a toxic cascade. It's a very painful process."

I agree with you. I just hope they find Nora even if she is no longer alive.

Did I read somewhere that N has difficulty in standing or walking? There are a lot of photos online of her and they certainly do not support this theory.
It's not a theory, her disability includes problems with balance and coordination.
That she is riding a bike at school tells me this may be part of her physical therapy to improve coordination.
She has likely had therapies for most of her life to improve mobility. Imo

He urged the public not to exaggerate in spreading information about the case.

"If they do have authentic information, use the proper channel and don't spread it indiscriminately as the foreign media may unwittingly pick and use it.

"We can take action against them for spreading false information," he warned.

I noticed in the video, she's looks over at the police officer holding a map. The look on her face tells me... Is this Ok to say?

Initially family members spoke out, especially the,grandfather. No more, radio silence from family.
Wonder if they have been cautioned or threaten?

Sedition Act: Malaysian Bar calls for return of moratorium, halt to investigations | Malay Mail

Its president George Varughese said in a statement tonight that the Bar was aghast that four persons have been detained under the Act in the first 11 days of the year for making allegedly offensive remarks on social media.

He said that while the Bar does not condone disrespect for the monarchy or accusations levied against the government without basis, it does not advocate the criminalisation of such behaviour under the Sedition Act.

Sorry, don't agree with your post,

Firstly, Any govt would take steps against false info.

Secondly, do not agree with insinuations regarding Nora's mother nor that of the family having being cautioned or threatened. As far as we know they are not in a position to offer more info.

Thirdly, you miss the point totally in the legislation you quote and I truly wonder why you bring this up.

IMO Malaysian authorities have taken this case on with absolute dedication and we should not undermine their efforts.

One of the news articles stated that there are more eco resorts in the area. I wonder if they have been searched, etc. if they are close

I had a browse on Google maps yesterday and The Dusun is not as isolated as I initially thought. There is another place very close.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190810-123935_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20190810-123935_Maps.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 34
NILAI: Police have scaled down the search area for the missing Franco-Irish teenager Nora Anne Quoirin to a radius of 4km from where she was believed to have gone missing.

Negeri Sembilan police chief Mohamad Mat Yusop said police believed that the 15-year-old would not go far from the Dusun Resort in Pantai, where her family was staying. Nora was reported missing last Sunday morning.

The search entered its seventh day today.

Mohamad reiterated that the police would do their best in tracing her. “The SAR team will conduct a more detailed search and focus on steep areas, bushes and rock outcrops,” he said at a news conference.

Asked about the duration of the operation, Mohamed said so far, he had not set any time frame and stressed that it would depend on the circumstances and clues obtained.

Meanwhile, Mohamad said those involved in the operation would be given time off to perform Aidiladha prayers tomorrow.

The SAR operation involved 317 personnel today as compared to 261 yesterday.

Nora Anne who suffers from learning disabilities, arrived with her family from London last Saturday for a two-week holiday. The family found her missing from her room at the resort the following morning.
Search area for missing teen Nora scaled down

Umm, do you know what you are talking about? There are panthers, pythons, reports of tiger and elephants. I am Malaysian by birth so think I know what wildlife is found in my country, no offence.

Yes, panthers and pythons are found in your country. But are they found in this specific resort area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cevans