GENERIC HEADER NEWS MISSING PERSONS

Man Dragged off United Airlines/Flight Overbooked, April 2017

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Tricia, Apr 11, 2017.

1. JanetElaine

JanetElaine Well-Known Member

If it is true that Dao and his wife initially volunteered, but then retracted when they realized they would not be able to get home until late the next day, I wonder why the United employees did not just ask for another volunteer. Someone still might have accepted if they had just asked again. (And it has also been reported that someone did, but UA refused to give them the $1,600 they wanted).

Instead it sounds to me like they went the route "oh no, you already said you'd get off, so GET OFF" and here we are.

Not facts, just my opinion.

2. bluesneakers

bluesneakers not today satan

Stray observation:
    It's important for people to believe if something bad happens to you you must have deserved it.

He brought this on himself. He should have done this and not done that. He asked for it. He's bad - just look at his record. I would never do any of those things so I'm safe and good. Etc.

I think this is at the root of a lot of victim blaming in cases like this. People need to reassure themselves it could never happen to them.

3. KarenUK

KarenUK Well-Known Member

My faith in humanity has gone out of the window after reading this thread. Whether he was a doctor, binman or the president is not important, no one deserves to be dragged off a plane in full view of everyone with a bloddy face for just wanting to get to their destination on time

4. PaperDoll

PaperDoll When I'm Silent, I make the most sense

I agree.. I would have taken the next flight out and would not have caused a disturbance, but that is my personality. :blushing: I usually want to get home just like most people on a flight heading home.

5. drjones

drjones Former Member

is there an MSM link that says he was on the phone with his lawyer while this was happening? ty.

even if it is true it is again interesting to see how different people interpret it, one way is to assume that he must have already been planning the lawsuit to cash in on this situation that he created on purpose... another way would be to ask if he might have been asking his lawyer if they could really force him off once he is seated and looking for advice on how to proceed...

6. BetteDavisEyes

BetteDavisEyes All the boys think she's a spy...

At the very least, UA has announced that all passengers will be refunded the cost of the flight. We'll have to wait and see what further steps might be taken by affected passengers.

7. HMSHood

HMSHood Admiral-Class Battlecruiser

8. HMSHood

HMSHood Admiral-Class Battlecruiser

9. FelicityLemon

FelicityLemon Well-Known Member

But, it wasn't the crew members who were causing a problem.

10. jadejazzkayla

jadejazzkayla Well-Known Member

Cash compensation may have a max limit, but airlines have no limit regarding the amount of travel vouchers they can offer their customers.

In my experience, airlines have never mentioned cash compensation- they always offered travel vouchers.

11. kanzz

kanzz kanzz=kansas

If they plan to sue (I would imagine there will be a class action suit), they should refuse to accept the reimbursement from UA.

12. chloes1

chloes1 New Member

No kidding, that's looking like an amazing *deal* right about now.

edited to add a word.

13. emirates1957

emirates1957 Well-Known Member

Hello lovely Cariis, yep me too not sure if I have a favourite .... hmmm maybe a Tiger Moth.

14. BetteDavisEyes

BetteDavisEyes All the boys think she's a spy...

Apr 13 2017, 1:10 pm ET

Doctor Dragged off United Plane Has Broken Nose and ‘Significant’ Concussion: Lawyer

by Erik Ortiz

The bruised and bloodied passenger who was forcibly removed this week from an United Airlines flight lost two front teeth and suffered a broken nose and "significant concussion" in the ordeal, his lawyers said Thursday.

Dr. David Dao, who fled war-torn Saigon before immigrating to America in 1975, was released from the hospital Wednesday, but will need reconstructive surgery and remains "shaken" by the experience, attorney Thomas Demetrio told reporters in Chicago.

"He said that being dragged down the aisle was more horrifying and harrowing than what he experienced in leaving Vietnam," Demetrio said...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...en-nose-significant-concussion-lawyer-n746056

15. chloes1

chloes1 New Member

Said vouchers expire fairly quickly too. If you don't fly often the vouchers may well expire before you can use them.

16. jadejazzkayla

jadejazzkayla Well-Known Member

IMO, it was the ground crew who caused the problem.

17. Hraefn

Hraefn Verified Attorney

It's a reasonableness standard within the circumstances. If security guards know or have reason to know that a person is violent/aggressive (such as a repeat offender or if they were called into a situation due to violence/aggression) than those facts go to the circumstances. In this instance, as far as we know, there was no knowledge of any violence or aggression, his past was not known to the security guards. So it will never ever come into evidence, IMO.

Again, it's only relevant to the facts and circumstances of the case if the guards knew or should have known about it. Here, IMO, there is no way they knew or should have known that he had any past anger or aggression.

^also I second this info on character evidence admissibility. It's very limited unless the plaintiff himself "opens the door" to his character, which he has no reason to here. Even when character evidence comes in, it can ONLY go to showing a person's credibility, NOT to show that they acted in accordance with a certain character trait. (there are exceptions for some situations when necessary, such as perjury and sexual crimes, etc.)

These are directly from the Illinois Rules of Evidence. Much more at link here (ctrl F "character" to find all the rules on character evidence) http://www.illinoiscourts.gov/SupremeCourt/Evidence/Evidence.htm

18. FelicityLemon

No tomatoes from me! :D Agreed 100% :loveyou:

19. FelicityLemon

Asking for a psych eval will be opening a can of worms that won't help him seeing as how he has a history of diagnosed issues.

20. shadowdancer

shadowdancer Well-Known Member

Thats true, but they are clearly laying the ground for some sort of emotional distress angle to the lawsuit too, with all the talk about Dr Dao being shaken and in shock, not to mention the bit about this incident being more distressing then his escape from Vietnam.