Man survives 60 hours at bottom of Atlantic

Reader

Reaction score
http://news.msn.com/world/man-survives-60-hours-at-bottom-of-atlantic

Video

Dramatic footage emerged on Tuesday showing the unlikely rescue of a ship's cook, who survived for almost three days trapped in an air bubble in his sunken ship.

LAGOS, Nigeria — Entombed at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean in an upended tugboat for three days, Harrison Odjegba Okene begged God for a miracle.

The Nigerian cook survived by breathing an ever-dwindling supply of oxygen in an air pocket. A video of Okene's rescue in May that was posted on the Internet more than six months later has gone viral this week........

The divers had already pulled up four bodies.

So when a hand appeared on the TV screen Walker was monitoring in the rescue boat, showing what the diver in the Jascon saw, everybody assumed it was another corpse.

"The diver acknowledged that he had seen the hand and then, when he went to grab the hand, the hand grabbed him!" Walker said in a telephone interview Tuesday.

More at link.....

What an amazing story. I can't imagine the shock of the diver when he grabbed his hand.

Not to make light of the situation...but...I'm sure the Walker guy peed himself. If only just a little. How terrifying for the cook. He asked for a miracle, and a miracle he received.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

What an incredible story. I guess it wasn't his time to go! I can't imagine how he felt when he realised he was going to be rescued. And how wonderful for the dive recovery team too, to be able to save someone like that.

I heard this story on the radio yesterday. They were interviewing one of the rescuers who spotted the hand on the TV screen and did indeed think it was yet another floating body. You can hear the resignation, then the shock;

"What's that? -ah, okay................He's alive!"

They had to bring the sailor up in stages over days because of the bends. That's the point where I'd have lost it; not being able to escape to the surface straight away, after all that time being trapped underwater. What a miracle he survived and a miracle they found him. :)

That has to be really scary.

It really is a miracle that he survived. I would have never expected that he would be found alive after spending days 100 feet deep in the sunken ship.

What a wonderful thing for the rescue diver to experience. Most often they usually just doing body recoveries and that can take a toll on their emotions because it is such a sad thing to have to do. But it is such an important thing to be able to bring the bodies home to their families to be buried. But to be able to bring back a live person is miraculous.

Truly amazing!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zorba347