Mark Lunsford & Tom Bassano; Two Men, One Cause

This guy is amazing! What a special person he is!! I will keep him and his journey in my prayers. Geez, I can't even imagine running a mile. :eek:

Run for Jessie begins
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
Post a comment | E-mail this story | Print

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom Bassano has been training for his cross country run for months.
(Bay News 9) -- After months of preparation, a Bay area man has started his cross country run in honor of Jessica Lunsford.

Tom Bassano of Palm Harbor began his run March 2 in San Diego. Averaging about 70 miles a day, Bassano was in Tempe, Arizona on Monday. Bassano said he is suffering from ankle swelling but he is determined to continue despite the physical toll.

"I realize that doing this run is 30 percent physical and the rest of it is all mental,' said Bassano, who hopes his run helps raise funds for a child advocacy center in Citrus County. "Basically what I try to do is take my mind off the pain and just check out the scenery
http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2008/3/11/331430.html?title=Run for Jessie begins

Local Runner Puts In Miles For The Innocent

Photo courtesy of Tom Bassano
Tom Bassano of Palm Harbor runs through the Yuha Desert in California on March 3 as part of a cross-country trip to raise money for child-advocacy centers.
ADVERTISEMENT

By VALERIE KALFRIN of The Tampa Tribune

Published: March 11, 2008

East of Apache Junction, Ariz., on Tuesday, amid the mountains and cactuses, Tom Bassano slowed to a walk to rest his swollen ankles.

"I'm only going to put in about 30 miles today," he said. "Every step feels like somebody's hitting me with a billy club."

Bassano, 37, has been a runner for years but this month undertook a special challenge. He is running from California to Florida to raise money for child advocacy centers, including Jessie's Place, named in honor of Jessica Lunsford, the 9-year-old Homosassa girl slain in 2005.

Since March 2, the propane technician and photographer from Palm Harbor has run about 380 miles on the fundraiser. He said via cell phone he now feels the strain.

"In the first three days, it was a piece of cake," he said. "Now, it's the hardest thing I've ever done."

Bassano's wife, Kimberley, and children — daughters Nicole, 12, and Paige, 9, and his son, Tavi, 7 — are his support team. The children are homeschooled and are studying on the road.

"They're certainly learning a lot of geography," Bassano said with a chuckle.

Bassano moved to Florida in high school and ran track as a senior at Dunedin High School. According to his Web site, his mile record there was 4 minutes, 5 seconds.

He wanted to run for charity in the past but didn't find a cause that spoke to him until now. To have a child kidnapped and killed, he said, is "everybody's worst fear."

Bassano said he had a "hands-on feeling" about such an experience not long ago when visiting Honeymoon Island with his family. As they packed up the beach gear, his son, who is autistic, lost his bearings and got separated.

"My first thought is, somebody's taken my son," Bassano said. "We had to get a park ranger, and they did find him. But that whole time, I thought, my life is completely changed. Everything is gone. … I don't think there is a parent in the world who wants to outlive their children."

Bassano said he has received some angry e-mail messages about his trek via his MySpace page and his Web site, www.runfortheinnocent.com, because of the involvement of Mark Lunsford, Jessica's father. Lunsford joined the Bassano family at Bartels' Harley-Davidson in Marina Del Ray, Calif., on March 2 for the fundraiser's kickoff.

John Couey, a sex offender who lived near the Lunsfords, was convicted in Jessica's death. So far, thanks in part of Lunsford's advocacy, 34 states have passed versions of the Jessica Lunsford Act, which strengthens punishments for sex offenders.

Last month, Lunsford announced he might sue the Citrus County Sheriff's Office over how the agency investigated his daughter's disappearance, causing mixed emotions throughout the Bay area.

Huffing his way across the southwest Tuesday, Bassano said Lunsford is helping him process the donations through the Jessica Lunsford Foundation, which is a registered nonprofit organization. However, the money goes into a separate account for Run for the Innocent. (Donors must note "Run for the Innocent" on the memo part of their checks; donations collected on Bassano's Web site are marked for the account automatically, he said.)

Bassano estimates he has collected about $5,000 so far.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/mar/11/local-runner-puts-miles-innocent/?news-breaking-yahoo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bassano, 37, has been a runner for years but this month undertook a special challenge. He is running from California to Florida to raise money for child advocacy centers, including Jessie's Place, named in honor of Jessica Lunsford, the 9-year-old Homosassa girl slain in 2005.

Since March 2, the propane technician and photographer from Palm Harbor has run about 380 miles on the fundraiser. He said via cell phone he now feels the strain.

"In the first three days, it was a piece of cake," he said. "Now, it's the hardest thing I've ever done."

Bassano's wife, Kimberley, and children — daughters Nicole, 12, and Paige, 9, and his son, Tavi, 7 — are his support team. The children are homeschooled and are studying on the road.

"They're certainly learning a lot of geography," Bassano said with a chuckle.

Bassano moved to Florida in high school and ran track as a senior at Dunedin High School. According to his Web site, his mile record there was 4 minutes, 5 seconds.

He wanted to run for charity in the past but didn't find a cause that spoke to him until now. To have a child kidnapped and killed, he said, is "everybody's worst fear."
Local Runner Puts In Miles For The Innocent
Tampa Bay Online
updated 10:00 p.m. ET, Tues., March. 11, 2008

Bassano said he had a "hands-on feeling" about such an experience not long ago when visiting Honeymoon Island with his family. As they packed up the beach gear, his son, who is autistic, lost his bearings and got separated.

"My first thought is, somebody's taken my son," Bassano said. "We had to get a park ranger, and they did find him. But that whole time, I thought, my life is completely changed. Everything is gone. … I don't think there is a parent in the world who wants to outlive their children."

Bassano said he has received some angry e-mail messages about his trek via his MySpace page and his Web site, www.runfortheinnocent.com, because of the involvement of Mark Lunsford, Jessica's father. Lunsford joined the Bassano family at Bartels' Harley-Davidson in Marina Del Ray, Calif., on March 2 for the fundraiser's kickoff.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23580788/

Tommy asked for our help here at WS. Also Myspace has informed us that we are a finalist for the myspace impact awards that is huge for us that will be 10,000 dollars towards child advocacy centers for us the voting starts thursday I believe so please everyone spread the word and vote for us post lots of bulletins and comments I need all of you to suceed.

Tuesday March 11,08 Apachee Junction,AZ DAYS 7 & 8
AA_Tommy_newpix_B_3-11-08.jpg

Fantastic pictures Windy, thanks so much for taking the time to post and share for us.

Everyone is in our thoughts and prayers! Sending Tom lots of strength!

My friend Tom is still running -- can read more about him here ...

MySpace URL:

A message from Tom Bassano.....Anyone who can please continue voting for Tom for the Impact award at myspace..$10,000 prize money will go toward child advocacy centers...a very worthy cause.
God Bless you , Tom!
I told him I will not stop spreading the word..so I bring it here to friends as well...

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/mar/11/local-runner-puts-miles-innocent/?news-breaking-yahoo
http://www.msplinks.com/MDFodHRwOi8...sZXMtaW5ub2NlbnQvP25ld3MtYnJlYWtpbmcteWFob28=

Hey Everyone,

above are some links to some news stories, I would Like to thank The Cowhead show on 102.5 the bone in Tampa for there continued support.
Thank you Sher from Child Predetor Busters for all her help. Thanks Paul for all your work on the internet and the Harley Davidson in Apachee Junction for there help and warm welcome and gifts.

Also Myspace has informed us that we are a finalist for the myspace impact awards that is huge for us that will be 10,000 dollars towards child advocacy centers for us the voting starts thursday I believe so please everyone spread the word and vote for us post lots of bulletins and comments I need all of you to suceed.

I will not be able to get on the internet for a few days after the morning I am going to be in some unpopulated areas and will be camping since there will be no motels the kids are excited about that but not my wife lol.

I am doing good the swelling in my ankles seems to be going down to the best of my knowledge I should be in Texas on Monday (or close to it)

Oh Windchime..I just saw this ..THANK YOU so much for merging these threads and keeping updates!! YOU are a TRUE angel!! XOXOX:blowkiss:

Annie I viewed that video on your myspace and you did a wonderful job with the video.:)

We just posted a bulletin on the myspace pages for LTWH

they'll be coming from -
myspace.com/do_u_recognize_me
myspace.com/lightingthewayhome

Copy of what our bulletin looks like -

Please everyone we truly need your help. Please go to below link and vote. If Tom should win this award he is donating he $10,000.00 for a wonderful cause.
http://www. myspace. com/ImpactAwards

Please Repost!

More details -

http://profile. myspace. com/index. cfm?fuseaction=user. viewprofile&friendid=211134734

http://www. websleuths. com/forums/announcement. php?f=80

It went out to over 900 people..Hope this helps!

Ohh..thank you so so much. :blowkiss:

Tommy asked for our help here at WS. Also Myspace has informed us that we are a finalist for the myspace impact awards that is huge for us that will be 10,000 dollars towards child advocacy centers for us the voting starts thursday I believe so please everyone spread the word and vote for us post lots of bulletins and comments I need all of you to suceed.

WS is under which category?

Social justice as well or an upcoming forums finalist?

Ya know I voted for Tom :) and have reposted and spread word anywhere and everywhere I can--- its awesome so many are coming together to do this!
I want to know when WS is up so I can vote , vote vote for my favorite site for justice ! :):blowkiss:

I just wanted to let everyone know that has voted, your votes truly mean alot to Tom and Mark Tom is in first place as of today. Please everyone that hasn't voted please do.
Thank You

It only takes a few seconds too which makes it easier - I tried to vote over and over but get that little "you've already voted "message:rolleyes:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back