AK AK - Mary Dawn Wilson, 69 - 2-YO Grandchild Found Locked in Abandoned Car, Healy, 12 July 2022

If I ever happen to go missing I sincerely hope that my family, friends, and LE try a lot harder to find me than what appears to be a very weak effort to locate Mary and bring her home. This is such a quiet case and I feel bad for her.
I don't get it. I see people posting concern on social media but nothing seems to be generating enough urgency or interest to press the troopers to do more?

I am puzzled that SAR in Alaska only goes out if asked by an LE organization! See attached.

This is a rugged area to search & troopers may have done a good job looking but Mary deserves more!

Screenshot_20220729-140848_(1).png

I don't get it. I see people posting concern on social media but nothing seems to be generating enough urgency or interest to press the troopers to do more?

I am puzzled that SAR in Alaska only goes out if asked by an LE organization! See attached.

This is a rugged area to search & troopers may have done a good job looking but Mary deserves more!

View attachment 356674
Yes it's a rugged area to be sure but if Mary at 69 was able to wander off and traverse through this area well enough to not be found then younger, able bodied friends and/or family should be out there looking to find her. She is either out there off the trail somewhere, was abducted and is now gone from the area, or was never out there to begin with and the scene was set up to appear that she was. I don't see any other scenarios.

Yes it's a rugged area to be sure but if Mary at 69 was able to wander off and traverse through this area well enough to not be found then younger, able bodied friends and/or family should be out there looking to find her. She is either out there off the trail somewhere, was abducted and is now gone from the area, or was never out there to begin with and the scene was set up to appear that she was. I don't see any other scenarios.

I've been on the Stampede Road for various reasons including during the middle of the night for aurora viewing and also during the the day. Even at 3am the occasional vehicle would go by headed away from the Parks Hwy. from where I was parked going who knows where. To be honest I've driven the road for quite a distance including up to where the road turns into a trail but never really paid attention to the mile markers. I will be in the area again mid September and will drive the road and find the 6.8 mile mark where Mary's car was found. Will also take some photos and post here if allowed.
Thank you for coming here to post about the local area. I'd love to see pictures if/when you take them.

I feel like Mary has just been forgotten :(

Thank you for coming here to post about the local area. I'd love to see pictures if/when you take them.

I feel like Mary has just been forgotten :(
It seems like she has been forgotten but I'm hoping things are happening quietly behind the scenes. Time will tell I guess.

I'll be spending time in Healy next month and will be traveling the Stampede Road. I'll post some photos.

IMO, Mary didn't walk away. I dont know what happened, but I don't think she left that baby on purpose.
I'm leaning also that way. A friend of Mary's has stated that he doesn't feel that Mary would be able to hike long distances. So it's doubtful at least to me she would have gotten so far off the road /trail as not to be found by the trained searchers.

Also her possessions were found scattered? The police walked away from that? WTH are they thinking?
It's remote Alaska. State troopers did search. I wish we knew exactly what items were found & the search perimeters. It would be great if a SAR group would ask to continue the search (troopers would have to authorize that).

If she is out there, it would be a recovery effort but a worthwhile one.

We don't know if they are working any other angles on her disappearance or if they have clues as to why she traveled off pavement until her car got stuck.

When you live & travel outside any well-populated areas in AK, you assume a lot of personal risk, including knowing you can lose your life if enough factors weigh against you. Whether with intention or not (she may have suffered a medical event), she disappeared.

Some speculate she didn't drive the car there but nothing has been released as public info that backs that up.

Risk is a fact of life when you venture into the wild. And where she supposedly ended up is very high risk due to her age & being on foot even in summer.

Why didn't she stay with the car? Why did she walk toward wilderness where her items were found?

Is that a false narrative?

Not knowing is extremely sad and frustrating. And tragic.
 MOO

So she walked into the woods and scattered her possessions?
Lots of details if you go to the first couple of pages of the thread, including this update (BBM):

View a Daily Dispatch​

Any charges reported in these press releases are merely accusations and the defendants are presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.

AK22071518​

Type: SAR - Missing Person

Dispatch Text:
UPDATE: July 15, 2022, the search for Mary Wilson off the Stampede Trail near Healy is continuing. It is believed that on Tuesday July 12 when Mary’s vehicle became stuck, she began walking in a direction heading further away from the Parks Highway. Personal items believed to belong to Mary were located at approximately 7.8 mile of the Stampede Trail.

Village Public Safety Officer’s, members of Solstice Search Dogs, Mat-Su Search & Rescue, Alaska Wilderness Search & Rescue, Alaska State Troopers, Alaska Wildlife Troopers, AST Helo 2, and volunteers are actively searching the surrounding area from the vehicle’s location.

Volunteers that would like to participate in the search should check-in at the Stampede Road staging area in Healy and anticipate inclement weather and insects.

If anyone has knowledge about the location of Mary Wilson, call the Alaska State Troopers in Fairbanks at: (907) 451-5100 or you can submit a tip anonymously through the AKTips smartphone app or online at www.dps.alaska.gov/tips.

ORIGINAL RELEASE: On July 14, 2022 at 1:31 am, Alaska State Troopers received a report of an abandoned car approximately 6.8 miles on the Stampede Trail with a two year old child locked inside. From evidence at the scene it appears that the child and vehicle were abandoned two days earlier on July 12. The child was transported to Healy prior to being handed over to the Office Children’s Services in what appeared to be good health. Currently Troopers are conducting a search based around the vehicle’s location near Healy for the child’s grandmother, 69 year old Mary Dawn Wilson, who was the last known person with the child. If anyone has knowledge about the location of Mary Wilson, call the Alaska State Troopers in Fairbanks at: (907) 451-5100 or you can submit a tip anonymously through the AKTips smartphone app or online at www.dps.alaska.gov/tips.

Photo of Mary Wilson
Posted on 7/14/2022 2:40:55 PM by DPS\tjdespain
Posting Section: D Detachment

So her stuff was found a mile away?
Yes, further west down the trail than her car WHICH HAD CONTINUED FROM Stampede Road onto Stampede Trail. Even if we had a map to pinpoint the car's location & where her stuff was found, we would not have the maps/online tools needed to get a good look at that area IMO.

I wish someone could prove me wrong on that. AFAIK, we have the mileage markers stated by the troopers but no way to measure that distance to pinpoint exactly where the car was found. Satellite maps, maybe?

Even then, we would still be looking for a tiny needle in an enormous haystack to find her body unless she left some further clues like more clothing.

Yes, further west down the trail than her car WHICH HAD CONTINUED FROM Stampede Road onto Stampede Trail. Even if we had a map to pinpoint the car's location & where her stuff was found, we would not have the maps/online tools needed to get a good look at that area IMO.

I wish someone could prove me wrong on that. AFAIK, we have the mileage markers stated by the troopers but no way to measure that distance to pinpoint exactly where the car was found.
Thank you

So her stuff was found a mile away?
Troopers believe Wilson’s vehicle got stuck on the trail some time Tuesday. Items of her clothing were discovered a mile away from the car in the opposite direction of the highway. Rain in the area last week wiped away any footprints that might have given rescuers clues about what happened.

“Due to the lack of new search areas and no new discoveries of clues or information, beginning today, Troopers will change from an active search strategy to a reactive search strategy,” DPS said.

Just to clarify, "her stuff" was actually clothing. No details on what "items" they were, wish we knew more. If she stripped off her coat and hat and left them because they were soaking wet - that's a lot different than her shoes or pants for example.

The rain wiping out signs is also really concerning to me. I can see a lot of possibilities other than she vanished on her own.

@ComfortablyNumbb is there water nearby?

I wish someone could prove me wrong on that. AFAIK, we have the mileage markers stated by the troopers but no way to measure that distance to pinpoint exactly where the car was found. Satellite maps, maybe?

Even then, we would still be looking for a tiny needle in an enormous haystack to find her body unless she left some further clues like more clothing.

Troopers believe Wilson’s vehicle got stuck on the trail some time Tuesday. Items of her clothing were discovered a mile away from the car in the opposite direction of the highway. Rain in the area last week wiped away any footprints that might have given rescuers clues about what happened.

“Due to the lack of new search areas and no new discoveries of clues or information, beginning today, Troopers will change from an active search strategy to a reactive search strategy,” DPS said.

Just to clarify, "her stuff" was actually clothing. No details on what "items" they were, wish we knew more. If she stripped off her coat and hat and left them because they were soaking wet - that's a lot different than her shoes or pants for example.

The rain wiping out signs is also really concerning to me. I can see a lot of possibilities other than she vanished on her own.

@ComfortablyNumbb is there water nearby?
There is EightMile Lake. If the searchers felt she could have made it there from her 'location' I would imagine that area would have been searched. But who knows? There is just so little information available.
I've never been to EightMile Lake so I don't know what the access is like. I plan on snooping around next month.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back