Math HW Refers to Slaves, Beatings

Here's a snopes article on the math test I was referring to. I think it's a good idea to make math problems funny for students, but funny and really offensive are much different things; http://www.snopes.com/humor/question/mathtest.asp

BTW, the article cites a woman named "Diana Hiscock" :giggle: I know, I'm juvenile. :innocent::crazy:

I understand the 'cross-circulation' they are attempting. But, I think what any good history teacher would tell you is that slavery should STAY in history class.

These 'questions' had no context; it was a lazy way to throw in information with no crafting to the lesson. When I develop a lesson plan, for example, a lesson plan about The Wounded Knee Massacre of 1890 or The Sand Creek Massacre of 1864, it is in historical context. I will, using state guidelines [Oceti Sakowin Essential Understandings and Standards], have the focus on the cultural and societal impacts, as well as the historical meaning. I'm not going to throw in a math problem to fulfill a state/fed requirement. As I said, pure laziness and lack of thinking on the part of the teacher.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back