MD MD - Betty Redmond, 25, Pasadena, 26 Sept 1976

Richard

Reaction score
30 Years Ago...

Betty Irene Redmond
Missing since September 26, 1976 from Pasadena, Anne Arundel County, Maryland.
Classification: Involuntary
Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: August 23, 1951
Age at Time of Disappearance: 25 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3" (160 cm.); 110 lbs. (50 kg.)
Distinguishing Characteristics: Black hair; brown eyes.
Marks, Scars: No scars, tattoos or identifying marks.
Medical Conditions: She did take medication for a nervous condition.
AKA: Betty McFadden; "Bimmy".

Circumstances of Disappearance
Redmond was married and a mother of two minor children. It was alleged that Mrs. Redmond went to bed and when her husband awoke, his wife was missing along with her car and a .22 caliber handgun. The car was recovered at BWI Airport. Redmond has not contacted relatives since and foul play is suspected.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Sgt. John Bollinger
Maryland State Police
410-290-0050 X 130

NCIC Number: M-100614877
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
Maryland State Police
The Doe Network: Case File 933DFMD

Link:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/933dfmd.html

There have been 126 readings of this case since I first posted it in September of 2006. Thought I would bump it up for consideration. Unfortunately, there is not much information to go on.

Is it just me, or does the husband's story sound a little strange? Who sneaks out in the middle of the night with a .22 handgun to drive to the airport? I would assume that there was nobody by her name who purchased a flight ticket.

Was his story told in this manner so that there was a ready excuse for his .22 handgun being missing? What has his record been like for the past 30 years?

What do the children have to say about her disappearance after all these years?

And what is the official status of the investigation?

I live in Pasadena and hadn't heard of this case before. I don't know if there is a connection but, the Redmond family owns a very large salvage auto yard in Pasadena. It has been there as long as I can remember.

I feel like we've discussed this case before. It seems odd that it was her husband who discovered the car at the airport, however the airport is just a short drive from Pasadena. I wonder what the nervous condition was? Could she have been depressed? It seems like he was trying to allege suicide, except that the car was at the airport. The missing gun and the car at the airport seem incompatible to me. Either she's abducted, in which case sure I can see the car being abandoned there, or she walked away to kill herself (why else take the gun?) in which case the car would be wherever she drove to do the deed. I don't think that a gun would be the item of choice to take to the airport if you were just choosing to walk away (unless your marriage was violent and you thought he might come after you).

I have heard of this case before, Unfortunatly I think after so much time goes by people other then the families forget. Its very sad, I often think of these missing people and wonder where they are and what happened, how does somebody just disappear? Its very sad.

Bump

This month marks 34 years that Betty has been missing. Come home soon.

I live in Pasadena and hadn't heard of this case before. I don't know if there is a connection but, the Redmond family owns a very large salvage auto yard in Pasadena. It has been there as long as I can remember.

you can see it from rt 100. the redmond name is known in pasadena. i know of a few ppl with that last name and i think there all related

I have never been able to find out much about this case. But there was an interesting mention of it last year in the Baltimore Sun, in an article about Thomas Redmond, brother of Betty's husband.

The article does not state whether or not Thomas Redmond was involved in her disappearance.

----------------------------

Source:
The Baltimore Sun
August 21, 2002

Former Anne Arundel County Councilman Thomas Redmond of Pasadena was another target of County Executive John R. Leopold's dossiers.

Redmond, reached in Florida, was surprised to hear he had been the subject of political research.

"Wow," said Redmond, a Republican and retired business owner. "I didn't know he considered me a political enemy. It's surprising. I don't know what to say right now."

The Anne Arundel County Police Department acknowledged on March 14 that a statewide police criminal records database was accessed in order for Leopold to investigate political opponents. The department's "partial response" to a public information request said that the county was withholding records from the Maryland Criminal Justice Information System -- the statewide police database -- on Redmond.

The police response was signed by Lt. James Scott Davis, commander of the Office of Professional Standards, who noted that the information kept on Redmond had been provided to the Maryland state prosecutor. It said state law "restricts the dissemination of criminal history record information." It was unclear what information was accessed from the police database, and Redmond said he didn't know what it could have been.

The file on Redmond also includes a missing persons flier on his sister-in-law, Betty Irene Redmond, who went missing in 1976 from Pasadena and has never been found. A note attached to the flier says "Missing person. Copy to JRL 10/15/08."

The file also includes publicly accessible court information on Redmond's 2004 divorce, as well as a biography from his campaign website, and several bankruptcy filings and civil cases against his business entities.

Redmond said he worked in a campaign against Leopold in 1990 when the then-delegate ran unsuccessfully for the state Senate.

"He was actually my delegate. I didn't agree with him on a lot of things," said Redmond, who was a Democrat while on the council from 1994 to 1998. "I didn't know that was enough to open a political file on me. I vigorously campaigned against him. I guess he never forgave me. It's a little mind-boggling."

LINK:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/breaking/bal-leopold-thomas-redmond-20120314,0,4069101.photo

Did the police suspect the husband? The Redmond are distant cousins of my grandmothers.
I would be extremely surprised if the police didn't consider the husband a suspect under the circumstances, although they probably wouldn't say so publicly. I read that he owned an auto salvage yard; I wonder whether he owned a car crusher.

How certain can we be about her stats. She kind of looks like Woodlawn Doe.

Bumping this case up. It has been unsolved for over 42 years now. Could there be a link between Betty Redmond's disappearance and that of Karen Kamsch who went missing around that same time frame and also from Ann Arundel County?

Any chance that she could be Beth Doe? No mention of Betty being pregnant however..or that she migrated from Europe..

Any chance that she could be Beth Doe? No mention of Betty being pregnant however..or that she migrated from Europe..

Betty was ruled out as being Beth Doe, first by dentals then by DNA.

Betty Irene Redmond
  • betty_irene_redmond_1.jpg
Redmond, circa 1976

• Missing Since09/26/1976
  • Missing FromPasadena, Maryland
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Date of Birth08/23/1951 (67)
  • Age25 years old
  • Height and Weight5'3, 110 pounds
  • Medical ConditionsRedmond is required to take medication for an unspecified nervous condition.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian female. Black hair, brown eyes. Redmond may use the last name McFadden. Her nickname is Bimmy.
Details of Disappearance
Redmond was last seen inside her family's Old Annapolis Road residence in Pasadena, Maryland on September 26, 1976.

Her husband told authorities that she had disappeared by the time he awoke the following morning. Redmond's vehicle and her family's .22 caliber handgun were also missing from the house. She has never been heard from again.

Redmond's husband discovered her vehicle abandoned in the parking lot of Baltimore/Washington International Airport (BWI) shortly after her disappearance. Foul play is suspected in her case. She left behind two children when she vanished. Redmond's disappearance remains unsolved.
Investigating Agency
  • Maryland State Police 410-290-0050
Source Information

Karen Kamsch, 14, 1/9/76 went missing from Pasadena, MD
- went missing 8 months before Betty
- about 10 miles from where Betty
- went missing under the same circumstances (gone missing in the middle of the night)
-at the time, Kamsch hadn't been reported missing

Donna Frey's body was found 2.5 months after Betty went missing 12/7/76, about 10 miles away near Ft. Meade

I wonder if there are any witnesses or suspects that have some commonalities between the 3 cases?

The case of Sandra Berkey 7/2/74 Glen Burnie, MD is also similiar to the above cases in both COD & proximity.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayaCo
Back