MD - Det. Sean Suiter, 43, fatally shot, Baltimore, 15 Nov 2017

Did the officer not wear a video cam?

Knowing this officer was to testify in a federal case the next day, he should have been given an assignment in house or in a safe area to protect him. Why would his supervisor keep him in the dangerous district figuring people were out to get him before he testified?

And his partner took cover across the street? What did he do watch the bad guy fight the officer, take his gun, shoot him, run off .....and the partner did what? Nothing, just call 911. He sure proved to be the worst of any partners one could have!

Also, why the change of partners on this particular day? It all sounds like in-house corruption to me! JMO.

Detectives are testifying before grand juries or in local or federal court every week. If every detective scheduled to testify was given a desk assignment the night before there would be no one on the street. What evidence do you have that someone was "out to get him"? That is simply a theory and a week one at that. The case that Sueter was scheduled to testify at was seven years old.

How do you know what happened with the "partner" (which is an incorrect term)? We do know that he called 911 but the rest is known only to those investigating the case.

There was no "change of partners". Officers and detectives do not have partners. They work with whoever is available. Because two detectives happen to respond to a murder case together that does not mean that they will work together on the case. The supervisor decides who has a managable case load and assigns the case accordingly. The detective who happened to be working with Suetier on the triple homicide case happened to take the day off. It happens all of the time.

The Gun Trace Task Force case
Date: Jan. 22

Three officers charged with racketeering in this case are on track to contest the charges in U.S. District Court. The case has rocked the city: an entire elite unit, charged with robbing people, reselling drugs and guns, filing false paperwork in court and racking up tens of thousands of dollars in false overtime. The alleged crimes also occurred while a federal civil rights investigation of the Police Department was underway. In November, the case collided with the killing of homicide Detective Sean Suiter, who police revealed was set to testify before a federal grand jury investigating the case one day after his death.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...baltimore-trials-to-watch-20171228-story.html

Thank you for the updates. Definitely a case I constantly find myself wondering of.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Not to get o/t or go political but it could also be that a systemic problem with police and the black community brought on by many many decades of harrasment and mass incarceration without justice have made that community understandably mistrustful of LE and their motives. Particularly in this current political climate. Particularly in Baltimore.

Just offering an alternative way to view....

Back on point to the victim here...the deceased officer. My deepest sympathies to his family and friends.

MOO

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I concur

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New details revealed in Baltimore police investigation of Detective Sean Suiter's death

Moments before his death, surveillance cameras showed, Suiter had paced back and forth on the street. Then he darted out of view and into the lot where three shots rang out.

This and other previously undisclosed evidence, described by sources to The Baltimore Sun, lies behind contradictory theories within the police department about Suiter’s still unsolved killing.

Some say the evidence — including the location of the gun, the pacing as though preparing himself — suggests Suiter could have committed suicide staged to look like a murder.

In this view, dirt found on Suiter’s clothing, an unintelligible transmission over his radio, and the two other shots from his gun all support the theory that he struggled with an assailant who has eluded detection. Police have said Suiter was killed with his own gun, though the shooting could have happened during such a struggle.

“The realistic version of this is that there are two things that are possible: suicide and murder,” one source said. “I could convince anybody why it’s a murder, and I could convince anybody why it’s a suicide.”

The Sun has also learned that before Davis sent the letter to FBI director Christopher Wray asking the agency to take over the investigation, the head of the Baltimore field office of the FBI, Gordon Johnson, told him the FBI had no interest in taking over the case.

FBI Assistant Director Stephen E. Richardson rejected Davis’ request on behalf of Wray and the FBI in late December, saying the agency had no evidence to suggest Suiter’s death was “directly connected” to the corruption probe or any other federal case.

Police haven’t publicly discussed the Suiter case since.

Baltimore police chief to panel reviewing investigation of Suiter's death: 'Go where the evidence leads you'

Baltimore Police Commissioner Darryl De Sousa on Thursday told the panel created to review the investigation of Det. Sean Suiter’s killing to “go where the evidence leads you,” before the group was scheduled to spend hours discussing the unsolved case in private.

“We are not going to reinvestigate a homicide,” but assess the police work that’s been done, said James “Chips” Stewart, one of the co-chairs of the Independent Review Board.

The board is expected to issue a comprehensive report of its “assessment of the facts and circumstances, and conclusion and findings of this tragic act,” to the police commissioner, Stewart said.

The review is expected to take 90 to 180 days, and police spokesman T.J. Smith said De Sousa intends to make the report public.

Former Police Commissioner Darryl De Sousa ordered the review after months passed without an arrest in the Suiter case. Suiter died from a gunshot wound to the head while investigating a homicide in west Baltimore in November. Suiter died one day before he was supposed to testify before a grand jury in the Gun Trace Task Force case.

Board investigating Suiter's death to vote on its view of how he died

A key piece of evidence is video that was recorded by a homeowner's camera down the street. The 11 News I-Team has learned that the video shows Suiter and his partner in the area. Suiter can be seen darting into an empty lot. Just a few seconds later, his partner ran across the street and called 911, suggesting there was too little time for an altercation with another person to have occurred, the I-Team was told.

Thanks so much
I’m still unconvinced that he took his own life - too convenient for my liking... The day before he was due to testify after speaking out and living and working with that decision to do the right thing for so long...... Then right before he is to testify??? MOO

Thanks so much
I’m still unconvinced that he took his own life - too convenient for my liking... The day before he was due to testify after speaking out and living and working with that decision to do the right thing for so long...... Then right before he is to testify??? MOO

That's the issue. Most likely was afraid what the reaction would be after his testimony. He was due to testify about the actions of other officers on the Gun Recovery Unit. He knew key information about their crooked actions.

The report details evidence to back up the board's conclusion, which includes multiple factors that indicate a self-inflicted wound:

Board report released, concluding Suiter took his own life

A portion of the gun barrel was in contact with Suiter's head at the time the fatal shot was fired;
Suiter is right-handed, and the bullet entered the right side of Suiter's head;
The gun that killed Suiter had polygonal rifling, consistent with a Glock, which was Suiter's service weapon;
Suiter's DNA was found inside the barrel of Suiter's Glock and on its surface, meaning that Suiter's weapon fired the fatal bullet. No other DNA was present;
The remains of the fatal bullet are consistent with department-issued ammunition and the firearm issued to Detective Suiter (but could not be confirmed as Suiter's Glock due to deformation of the projectile);
All three spent shell casings found at the scene came from Suiter's weapon;
Blood spatter was found on the inside of Suiter's right dress shirt cuff, indicating that Suiter's hand and arm were in as high a position as was the entrance wound at the time the fatal shot was fired, with blood being expelled into Suiter's sleeve;
Suiter was trained in self-defense in both the military and the police, and specifically was trained to use the gun slide to disable the weapon if attacked;
Trace amounts of DNA, which may be attributed to two officers who carried Suiter from the lot for hospital transport, were found on his person. Apart from that, no DNA other than Suiter's was located on his person;
Medical examiner protocols dictate that suicide should be considered as a possibility in the event of a contact wound.
The autopsy revealed no defensive wounds, such as abrasions on the knuckles, hands or arms, and Suiter was found with his police radio still in his left hand, which is inconsistent with a struggle;
Video from a neighbor's video camera and testimony of two witnesses establish that a suspect would have had a couple of seconds at most to disarm Suiter, shoot him with his own weapon, erase any trace of his presence, and exit the vacant lot without being seen or heard;
Suiter was scheduled to testify before a federal grand jury the following day in connection with the BPD Gun Trace Task Force ("GTTF") corruption investigation;
Suiter was considered a "subject" of that investigation, and another GTTF member had implicated Suiter in criminal wrongdoing; and
Suiter's attorney repeatedly attempted to contact Suiter the afternoon of Nov. 15 to confirm a meeting that evening at 5 p.m., but Suiter ignored the calls and texts.

That's the issue. Most likely was afraid what the reaction would be after his testimony. He was due to testify about the actions of other officers on the Gun Recovery Unit. He knew key information about their crooked actions.

Suiter was considered a "subject" of that investigation, and another GTTF member had implicated Suiter in criminal wrongdoing; and
Suiter's attorney repeatedly attempted to contact Suiter the afternoon of Nov. 15 to confirm a meeting that evening at 5 p.m., but Suiter ignored the calls and texts.

Board report released, concluding Suiter took his own life

The 32 grams of heroin were planted in Burley's Acura by officers on the scene. During his sentencing, Wayne Jenkins cried as he apologized to Burley and Matthews. He also apologized to members of the Davis family who loved one was killed in the accident.

Baltimore faces up to 55 possible lawsuits over police corruption

Burley believed he was about to be robbed when the officers first appeared.

Burley said: "Once they jumped out with their guns drawn, I didn't think twice, I was immediately out of there."

The drugs found in Burley's car following the crash were discovered by Det. Sean Suiter.

Suiter was one of the bad guys. Jmo
He knew he was going down. Jmo
All the police that showed up for his funeral, highways shut down for the funeral procession.

It makes me angry that his family will suffer from this because they won't get the benefits because he was a coward. That's not fair to them. I can't imagine what they are going through.

It would be horrible enough to think your dad was murdered, heartwarming to watch him be honored, then you have to find out he willingly left you and watch him be vilified. Talk about needing therapy.

New allegations began surfacing months ago about Suiter’s past, raising doubts about his integrity. During a federal racketeering trial for two detectives who belonged to a wildly corrupt Baltimore police unit called the Gun Trace Task Force, one indicted officer, Momodu Gondo, alleged he started stealing money with Suiter and other sworn officers about a decade ago.

Review board says Baltimore detective likely killed himself | WTOP

Snipped
Gondo and another disgraced detective, Maurice Ward, had worked cases with Suiter years before they joined the corrupt squad and ultimately pleaded guilty to corruption charges.

The board’s analysis of Suiter’s cellphone revealed “substantial deletions,” including 75 texts and 313 call log entries. They say Suiter “or someone with access to his phone” deleted Gondo and Ward from his contacts.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back