MD - Freddie Gray dies in police custody #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
[video=youtu;u964SUI_usw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=/u964SUI_usw[/video]

press conference

All I can think about is hearing this man in pain.....

It isn't like he was yelling, "your hurting me..etc etc" It's just screaming.

I know, It's stuck with me too. it almost seems like they knew he was in serious pain because the driver kept stopping to have people check on him, (supposedly not for pain but because he was being fussy, ( I can't remember the exact word they used) being that these officers checked on him they had to have known. Good lord you can see and hear his pain before he is even put in the van.

Apparently they also picked up some other guy along they way and put him back there. They were separated and couldn't see each other but could hear each other. I would love to know what he says

[video=youtube;c2TBdA_xjp8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2TBdA_xjp8[/video]
News video from several days ago, including 2 different video angles, & one witness description​

3202d77f.gif

Baltimore Suspends 6 Police Officers in Inquiry in Death of Freddie Gray
By SHERYL GAY STOLBERG, NY Times, APRIL 20, 2015

BALTIMORE — Six police officers have been suspended and officials said Monday that they were changing police procedures as they investigated the death of Freddie Gray, a 25-year-old black man who was rushed to the hospital with a severed spinal cord after being chased and tackled by officers.

[...]

“We have no evidence — physical, video or statements — of any use of force,” the deputy police commissioner, Jerry Rodriguez, said at the news conference. “He did suffer a very tragic injury to his spinal cord, which resulted in his death. What we don’t know, and what we need to get to, is how that injury occurred.”

EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

link

I suspect that whatever happened to cause his injuries happened before bystanders started recording their video's. According to the press conference today - in addition to the spinal cord injuries - Gray's voice box was crushed. I wonder if officer's took him down using an improper choke hold? From the description of the injuries it seems very likely IMO.

I don't know how the deputy police commissioner can say "We have no evidence — physical, video or statements of any use of force". The autopsy provides physical evidence that someone broke his neck in the moments before he was dragged into the van.

He was running away. Could he have injured himself while running away (jumping off something,etc)? I think it's clear he was injured already before being placed into a van, his leg appears to be dragging and he is in pain.

He was being dragged like a rag doll. I haven't seen this in an article, and only saw this on cable news, he was asking for an inhaler, because he had asthma. If someone has seen this I would appreciate it. There should have been help given to this man right away, and IMO no excuse for that not happening.

Thank-you for that Elley Mae.

(- 8:42:52, a wagon is requested for transport and Gray asks for an inhaler

Batts said Gray could have received better care while in custody.

"He asked for the inhaler as he was going into (the van) at one or two of the stops, it was noticed that he was having a little trouble breathing, where we probably should have asked for paramedics or had him look into that at that time," Batts said.

- 8:46:02, The driver of the prisoner transport van believes Gray is acting irate in the back)

When I get asthma and don't have my inhaler, I go into panic mode and get more and more desperate and I suppose it would look like I'm being irate, trying to catch my breath and trying to breath normally. I can't even imagine the pain he was in, with the spinal injury.

I am very local to this. At any given time, there are always people out on the streets in the city. I have no doubts that there are people who saw what happened and if the police did something during the arrest, it would have been seen and recorded. There are also police cameras all through the city and there were a few in the area from where he first ran from and where he was arrested at. I am not sure if the footage from those cameras have been released yet.

There have been many peaceful marches/protests that have been going on since Mr. Gray's injuries and death. I am not sure if there was any police brutality but there was surely negligence by not giving him prompt medical care.

I am very local to this. At any given time, there are always people out on the streets in the city. I have no doubts that there are people who saw what happened and if the police did something during the arrest, it would have been seen and recorded. There are also police cameras all through the city and there were a few in the area from where he first ran from and where he was arrested at. I am not sure if the footage from those cameras have been released yet.

There have been many peaceful marches/protests that have been going on since Mr. Gray's injuries and death. I am not sure if there was any police brutality but there was surely negligence by not giving him prompt medical care.

There was footage shown from one that was shown during the press conference yesterday. And that was it, except for video from cell phone.

I don't think it's a given that Mr Gray asked for an inhaler while in the back of the van. He was screaming in pain while being put into the van the first time, I don't see how he could have coherently ask for an inhaler a few minutes or so later.

Info on Mr Gray being asthmatic was gathered later and imo, inserted into the timeline.

If this assumption is incorrect, then there was no reason not to provide him with assistance to obtain an inhaler immediately.

Either way - LE is responsible for another unnecessary death. Jmo. How much will this wrongful death lawsuit cost the taxpayers?

The Deputy Commissioner is certainly on his feet in the above video - 'At no time did I see use of force in the video.' So .... it didn't happen?

Defense mode in position imo. Pretty sure Mr Gray did not cause these injuries to himself - he wasn't throwing himself around.

This is part of the video taken from the other direction, it's on the wbal news so it's cut up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2TBdA_xjp8

I would love to see the whole thing. I might not being seeing it right, but his leg does not look messed up to me--it just looks like he went limp and tons of people yell when they are being arrested. I think what happened to him happened after he got in the van

I would love to see the whole thing. I might not being seeing it right, but his leg does not look messed up to me--it just looks like he went limp and tons of people yell when they are being arrested. I think what happened to him happened after he got in the van

At first I thought so too. But he looks like a ragdoll as they are dragging him, like he has no control over his lower body.

But you're right, impossible to say without seeing the whole thing.

At first I thought so too. But he looks like a ragdoll as they are dragging him, like he has no control over his lower body.

But you're right, impossible to say without seeing the whole thing.

Do you know what was up with the bikes? Were they the police's bikes?

What are some of the possibilities for someone breaking their own neck after they are put into a police van?

Mr Gray was put into the same van more than once - the first time he was put in the van, the driver felt he was acting irate or something similar and Mr Gray was removed along the journey to the police station, restrained further and put back in. Had he already requested an inhaler when put in the van the second time? Did Mr Gray break his own neck because he was having trouble breathing - something he apparently communicated coherently to LE?

He sure looks to me like he has no control over his lower body, just like a rag doll. And the screaming, sounds like pain to me, not just some random screams because he didn't want to be arrested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288