MD - Freddie Gray dies in police custody #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Batts said another man who was in the van during the tail end of Gray's ride told investigators that Gray was "was still moving around, that he was kicking and making noises" up until the van arrived at the station. Batts said the man also said the driver did not speed, make sudden stops of "drive erratically."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/baltimore-police-transport-scrutiny-death-30550369

Keep seeing this "other man" mentioned yet no other information on him.

I want to hear/read an IN-DEPTH description of what he means by "still moving around, kicking, etc". Like. forceful kicking? Involuntary twitching? Speaking or groaning noises?

I want to hear/read an IN-DEPTH description of what he means by "still moving around, kicking, etc". Like. forceful kicking? Involuntary twitching? Speaking or groaning noises?

That, and would like to know about the other man that was with Mr. Gray that morning. That was what the talk was in the beginning, and now no talk about the other guy.

I'd like to know if he was making noise like in being irate, or if he was making noise as in trying to get someone's attention so he could get help.

That is what I keep thinking of. He had a fractured spine and larnyx reportedly. He would have been in pain. And more and more there would have been swelling and difficulty breathing. And he was alone in the back of that van.

If he was finding it harder and harder to breathe I can expect that he would be trying to someone's attention, trying to ask for medical care.

I'd like to know if he was making noise like in being irate, or if he was making noise as in trying to get someone's attention so he could get help.

That is what I keep thinking of. He had a fractured spine and larnyx reportedly. He would have been in pain. And more and more there would have been swelling and difficulty breathing. And he was alone in the back of that van.

If he was finding it harder and harder to breathe I can expect that he would be trying to someone's attention, trying to ask for medical care.

Yes exactly, I expect there were noises etc. He clearly had trouble breathing, asking for his inhaler (I think this may have been part of the voice box crush making it seem he couldnt breathe well or of course, his severed spine starting to affect breathing). He wasn't able to move his legs properly. He was imo clearly in medical distress and if one of us refused to get medical help "because he may be faking" we would be in jail or at the least buried under a multi million dollar civil suit. Why do we give LE the leeway to refuse medical help to someone who is dying? Clearly he was because he did!

If as I suspect the injuries were caused by excessive force (breaking a back and voice box is excessive) they should be up on manslaughter charges. Yet thanks to Maryland's LE rights bill they can't even be questioned for 30 days.

Per press conference on CNN Baltimore police chief on calls for him to step down.

Not going to happen.

It was a good conference (but I missed part of it.) We are going to need the links.

At no point while he was in the van was Mr Gray in a seatbelt.

The investiation still has some gaps in it that they are trying to fill.
5 officers have given their statements but the sixth officer continues to assert their rights.

I was thinking about the officers statements. 5 gave statements right away. 1 asserted their rights.

The arresting officers have partners, they know there are witnesses and cameras. 5 gave statements.
There is one who didn't. The van driver would work with the other officers, but not closely. The van driver wouldn't face the same concerns as the other officers. There would be less of a bond between them IMO.

In the videos all the officers I saw were male. Did anyone see a female? Yet one of the suspended officers is female. Possible that she is the van driver?

Something else that struck me from the presser....

Mr. Gray should have had medical attention from the moment they took him into custody. They even mentioned about his right leg and the fact, that he was standing on his left leg getting into that van the very first time.

They also talked a little about where he was first apprehended...something about that.
Also there were 3 bicycle officers, one took off on foot after Mr. Gray...then you only see 2 and one patrol officer. One might assume the 3rd took off to retrieve his bicycle?

Calling for the Police Commissioner to resign in my opinion is a bit pre-mature.

It's my hope, the store owners learned from Ferguson and will be ready to defend what is theirs before the first fire is set or before the first looter, loots.

I don't have a link because I watched it on CNN but the Deputy Police Commissioner in his presser yesterday said he walked the whole route (it was a few blocks) including where the takedown happened. He said that was where medical attention should have been called. So even from his point of view it didn't happen in the van, (probably made worse being in the van though) it happened from the takedown.

The Police Commissioner also said there was no excuse for not belting him in. His words, no excuse. He also did not seem to happy with his officers and said there will be prosecutions if it is found to be their fault...and his tone of voice was very hard.

imo

Watching the local news...not so peaceful protests right now. There is an Orioles game and they have moved there. Throwing things at officers, surrounding cars, fights breaking out. Hope they go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie