MD - Freddie Gray dies in police custody #2

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by shadowraiths, Apr 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. time

time New Member

Exactly, and it has happened other places. I'm sure a lot of more minor injuries could not be proven as happening in the van... that's the point of it anyway.

2. time

time New Member

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/blog/bs-hs-more-rough-rides-20150501-story.html

In Baltimore and other cities, police have used 'rough rides' as payback in the past

3. Ausgirl

Ausgirl ...

Oh, and than there's the witness who stated he heard Gray complaining about an officer's knee on him, hurting his neck, unfortunately prior to the video recorded portion of the arrest.

http://www.wusa9.com/story/news/loc...-gray-baltimore-arrest-videowitness/26122671/

Which officer was kneeling closest to Gray's neck?

Why, that would be Lt. Brian Rice.

Edit:

Records from the sheriff’s office and court show Baltimore Police Officer Lt. Brian Rice, a central figure in the arrest of Freddie Gray, was hospitalized three years ago over mental health concerns. He also had his gun confiscated.

The report doesn’t indicate how long Officer Rice was hospitalized, but his guns were confiscated, according the Associated Press. The County Carroll Sheriff’s Office report quoted Rice as saying he “could not go on like this” and threatened to commit an act. The act itself was censored in the public version of report.

http://rt.com/usa/254761-baltimore-cop-hospitalized-mental-health/

4. dandy

dandy Member

5. popsicle

popsicle faith hope love

6. SStarr33

SStarr33 Inactive

Wow and this is coming from CNN.

Crazy!!!!!

7. Footwarrior

Footwarrior Well-Known Member

There is currently a lawsuit in Federal court over a rough ride incident in 2012. Hard to say it hasn't happened again.

8. MissSunshine

MissSunshine Active Member

Also from the link

Another issue could arise from the team Mosby relied on to lead her case: one of her top investigators, Avon Mackel, is a former high-ranking Baltimore police officer who was stripped of his command post in 2009 for failing to follow through on a robbery investigation that two of his officers mishandled and did not report. A Baltimore Sun report said police in the district were accused of classifying serious crimes as lesser in order to log lower crime rates.

In October 2009, four months after his demotion, Baltimore County police sent a SWAT team to Mackel's home, responding a drunken incident in which he was seen holding a gun, according to a police report of the incident obtained by CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/06/polit...re-knife-marilyn-mosby-prosecution/index.html

So using an officer who did bad things to expose officers who may have done bad things....interesting

9. Ausgirl

Ausgirl ...

Interesting how Mackel was fired -- and Rice was not.

10. time

time New Member

And, other problems.

http://reason.com/archives/2015/05/06/why-freddie-ran

11. SStarr33

SStarr33 Inactive

I might have missed it, but I don't see where he was fired--just demoted.

Nonetheless, Mosby must think he is a stand up guy.

12. MissSunshine

Mackel was demoted for not followiing through on a robbery investigation not for what happened with the Swat Team.

13. vanlutz

vanlutz New Member

There's something to remember with MANY lawsuits. They're settled for convenience sake. It's been mentioned quite a few times that over the years Baltimore settled for close to six million in lawsuits. That sounds outrageously high, but it's not. Companies will settle regardless of right or wrong, it's just easier.

Hopefully this will change once body cameras become the norm.

I found it astounding how shocked the media were when they heard about the settlements. Anyone who has insurance or dealt with lawyers knows this is common policy.

14. SStarr33

SStarr33 Inactive

I posted a link that showed Chicago has paid 500 million.

15. vanlutz

vanlutz New Member

Incredible isn't it?

16. MissSunshine

Martin O'Malley was the mayor then and he had some zero-tolerance policing strategy going on. Arrest everybody, pretty much. Here is a quote from an article talking about it.

Back in those heady days, O'Malley was all about bringing new urgency to the crime fight, and his zeal was appreciated. He considered his election a mandate to have the police make lots and lots of arrests, even for minor "quality-of-life" crimes, under a zero-tolerance strategy.

There were thousands of arrests — 100,000 a year in a city of about 635,000 residents. In August 2005, police set a record with street corner sweeps. I called it ArrestFest. They brought 8,964 cases — a third of which were later dropped by Jessamy's prosecutors

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20..._property-crime-violent-crime-martin-o-malley

17. Ausgirl

Ausgirl ...

Sorry - "demoted" not "fired". Which begs the question, really, of 'why wasn't he fired'?

I was aware of why Mackel was disciplined. My point was, he was disciplined for that behaviour, which did not involve pulling a gun on a woman or kids, breaking and entering a private home to threaten people, intimidating someone using police dept fax machines, and whatever else is on the laundry list of REALLY GOOD REASONS Rice should have been fired.

And for some reason, was not.

And I strongly suspect Freddy Gray died, as a result.

18. ShadyLady

ShadyLady Well-Known Member

And since Mackel was not fired...he obviously owes "someone" bigtime. Would not trust his judgement at all. He is compromised. He will do what they tell him to do, imo

19. LonghornSpeakEasy

LonghornSpeakEasy Active Member

Before my current career I worked for a law firm that represented defendants in (mostly) personal injury lawsuits. We were usually hired by insurance companies to represent their insurers. In the 11 years I worked at the firm we settled all but one lawsuit regardless of fault or liability--it was simply cheaper than going to trial. It is VERY expensive to take a case to trial.

O/T: The insurance company took a stand on principle in the case we did not settle as it was beyond ridiculous--the plaintiff (who was racing another car down a city street) received minor injuries and proceeded to sue an elderly man (who spent two months in a hospital recovering from his injuries) for "failing to get out of the way"! I think their final offer was $250 and even it was turned down.

20. Boytwnmom

Boytwnmom Verified Attorney

in this case. The charges themselves contain no allegations of such. The other passenger said there was no rough ride and the van has a GPS which would shoe if there had been a rough ride which would then have certainly made it's way into the prosecutors charging document and certainly into her "speech".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.