Identified! MD - Glen Burnie, WhtMale Skeletal 29UMMD, 18-30, in trash can, Apr'85 - Roger Kelso

See updated link below...

Unidentified White Male
Located on April 23, 1985 in Glen Burnie, Anne Arundel County, Maryland.
Estimated Date of Death: 12 weeks to 5 months prior.
Cause of death was homicide
Partial Skeletal Remains
Photo of facial reconstruction at link

Vital Statistics

Estimated age: 18-30 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'8-5'11½"; 155-162 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair. Slim build.
Clothing: A blue and black wool sweater; light-colored, button shirt; beige pants, size 28 waist; and black, leather, tie shoes.
Personal Effects: Plastic comb, ring of keys; what appeared to be an apartment/hotel key with some letters, coins, nail clippers, small cannister, 3 folded sheets of paper.
Fingerprints: Not available.
Dentals: Available. The victim may have been treated at a dental school. The quality and extensiveness of care would be costly from private practice, and time-consuming, probably interfering with a regular daytime job. Typically, dental schools operate during weekday business. To receive this type of dental care from a dental school, he may have been unemployed, worked part-time, or evenings/nights.
DNA: Not Available
Victim's Keys can be seen at link below

Case History
On April 23rd, 1985 the victim was found during the excavation of the construction site of the Marley Station Mall in Glen Burnie, Md.
The body was found in a metal trash container.

Investigators
If you have any information on this man's identity or the circumstances surrounding his homicide, please contact:

Anne Arundel County Police Department
Homicide Unit - Cold Case Squad
Detective Jaschik
410-222-3456

Or

Metro Crime Stoppers
410-276-8888

OR

Maryland Office of the Chief Medical Examiner
Dr M Korell
410-333-3250

You may remain anonymous when submitting information.

Agency Case Number: 1985-055625

ME 142852-A

NCIC Number: U-158161438

Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
Anne Arundel County Police Department
UDRS
The Doe Network: Case File 29UMMD

LINK:

http://doenetwork.org/cases/29ummd.html

"Oscar Doe" was found inside a trash can in a very remote area. I believe he was referred to as "Oscar" as a reference to the Sesame Street puppet character, Oscar the Grouch, who lived in a trash can.

It is obvious that this man was murdered elsewhere, placed inside the metal trash can and then transported to the remote site in Glen Burnie, MD.

I have always had the strong feeling that he might be David Loew, an Air Force sergeant who went missing from Rome, New York in December of 1984. There is a thread on him in the missing in the 1980's section of Websleuths.

Richard, forgive me for not looking this up first, but since you have been working on the possible match between David Loew and this UID for sometime now, is there DNA to compare the two? Can you let us know about the status of DNA for both the UID and the MP?

Thanks! Interesting cases, I hope they both get solved!

Richard, forgive me for not looking this up first, but since you have been working on the possible match between David Loew and this UID for sometime now, is there DNA to compare the two? Can you let us know about the status of DNA for both the UID and the MP?

Thanks! Interesting cases, I hope they both get solved!

I guess that quick answer to the DNA question is "I don't know".

David Loew's mother, sister and aunt have all expressed a willingness to contribute DNA for any comparisons. But whether or not the Air Force Criminal Investigation Office, or the Anne Arundel County police have taken them up on it is anyone's guess.

I can say that there was no attempt to compare DNA a few years back when only comparisons of dental records were made.

I believe that there must be DNA available on Oscar Doe somewhere, but the case summaries that I have seen have indicated that it is NOT available. I do not know the status of the remains of Oscar Doe. He may have been buried, cremated, or placed in some sort of storage. Unfortunately, DNA was not collected back in 1985 as it is automatically today.

Thank you Richard. I'm sure your aware from various discussion on the board here the FRS sample collection kits are available free to both LE and family. It might be worth putting in another call to the agency handling the UID to see if DNA is available, and if so, trying again to get the dna kit info to both family and the jurisdiction handling the MP case.

I'm also wondering about finger prints as well. I don't recall the condition in which this UID was found, but maybe prints are on hand? Loew should have prints available somewhere based on his military exp.

thanks again.

What do you think about: Oscar vs. Frank Lamont Fox, missing from Manchester, New York since 1/1/83

What do you think about: Oscar vs. Frank Lamont Fox, missing from Manchester, New York since 1/1/83

Here is the side-by-side, and the links:

29UMMD.jpg
fox_frank.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/f/fox_frank.html
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/29ummd.html

The timeframe is a little long. The circumstances don't seem to suggest that he left voluntarily.

But everything else lines up pretty well.

There isn't much resemblance to the recon, but that isn't necessarily a disqualifier. I've seen plenty of recons that were completely off.

Thanks for posting the link Carl (sorry webrocket) - I don't know the backstory on fox. I don't live very far from Manchester, NY. I'll try to see what I can find out: was he from the ny area, does he have any family left, who reported him missing and any theorys.

Carl - the chin line, and ears are close - and the a- symetrical face jumped out at me.

Richard, you should be commended for working on this case for so long. It sounds like the perpetrator was not local to the Glen Burnie area, because the trash can had been buried at the site five months at most and surely the locals knew a big shopping mall was to break ground on that site. Thus a local perp would not want to conceal a victim where his crime would undoubtedly be discovered mere months later.

Thanks for posting the link Carl (sorry webrocket) - I don't know the backstory on fox. I don't live very far from Manchester, NY. I'll try to see what I can find out: was he from the ny area, does he have any family left, who reported him missing and any theorys.

Carl - the chin line, and ears are close - and the a- symetrical face jumped out at me.

I presume that the remains were skeletal, so I don't know if any portion of his ears remained, although cartilage (as found in ears and the nose) are usually the last things to decompose.

That chin and jawline line on the reconstruction doesn't look natural to me, so I suspect how representative it is of the victim's chin and jawline. It was probably done in an exaggerated way to emphasize that Oscar had a very narrow mandible.

The keys seen at the below link would seem to be personal house keys and at least one padlock key. Not pictured is a supposed hotel key "with letters on it" mentioned in text.

The two similar looking keys with the double cuts on them are an old type of Schlage door lock key which was no longer being made by 1984, when this young man went missing.

As one can see, the two Schlage keys are the same type of blank, but cut for different locks. This type of door lock was mostly found on exterior doors of houses, and they went in the door knob itself.

The small key looks very much like keys to US military brass padlocks.

None of the keys are automotive types.

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/29ummd.html

Richard - is there a photo of the missing air force ssg. that you are referencing? A photo would be great.

That whole dental work thing is confusing. They're saying his dental work was likely from a school because it would be too expensive otherwise and who would have the time? Or because of the quality of the work?

My husband has extensive dental work, and they just do it one appointment at a time every couple weeks/months. At a dentist's office. It's not like he quit his job to spend his day getting extensive dental work.

Bumping case up. It has now been 28 years since this man's murder and disposal in a trash can.

Another new addition to NamUs.

Anyone suppose this guy could be Craig Alexander?

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/19371/0

25d7af3f-54ba-48e9-bd68-a44af586d3b5.jpg
a64a163b-c893-47b5-96b6-97f7c64c31fb.jpg

* Last Seen January 28, 1985 (about 12 weeks prior to UID discovery). Postmortem interval: 12 weeks to 5 months.
* Height 72 inches, just above the upper limit (71.5")

His hair is described as blonde, but it looks more light brown than blonde.

The big negative is that he is described as having a moustache and beard when last seen. That probably would still have been there (and noted) if the John Doe had a moustache and beard.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chiefdartz
Back