CONVICTION OVERTURNED MD - Hae Min Lee, 17, Baltimore, 13 Jan 1999

Status
Not open for further replies.
One question I have, one of the friends said adnan was always getting lifts from Hae.

Why? I know he had his own car, he had lent it to Jay. So why did he need lifts off Hae?

Was he lending his car to Jay on a regular basis?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

IIRC, I think I heard either Krista or Becky say something about his car being in the shop a lot. I can't remember if I heard that on Serial OR if I heard it on a different podcast, like Undisclosed or The Truth & Justice Podcast (previously known as The Serial Dynasty). Or I could just be misremembering altogether. I realize this doesn't really answer your question and probably isn't much help... sorry.

One question I have, one of the friends said adnan was always getting lifts from Hae.

Why? I know he had his own car, he had lent it to Jay. So why did he need lifts off Hae?

Was he lending his car to Jay on a regular basis?

I understood him getting rides from Hae to track practice which is on the school property but a long walk.

Anyone else get the same impression?

Thats what I understood. But he has his own car, so there should have been no need.

I was just wondering if he got lifts because lending his car to Jay regularly and if there was a reason for that.

Adnan wasn't lending his car to Jay regularly. Or, rather, no one has ever claimed that he did. Not Jay, Adnan, or anyone else involved.

It is known that Hae drove Adnan to track regularly. This seems to have been more of an excuse to hang out and talk than anything else because they weren't going far. There was one time where Adnan's car was legitimately in the shop and Hae gave him a ride then, also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do hope that Adnan is granted a retrial. Although I know this has been hard on Hea's family, I truly believe Adnan was denied a fair trial.

Although I'm not convinced he's innocent (I need to see all the evidence first), I also don't see how they came to the conclusion that he is guilty based on the available evidence (even if you disregard the new evidence from Asia). It seems as if they took Jay's testimony as fact, even though he kept changing his story and other evidence contradicted aspects of it. I feel that they overlooked or ignored anything that contradicted the story as they had decided that Adnan was guilty.

Why would Jay's word be treated as the truth but not anyone else's? And why does there not seem to be forensic evidence to back up his tale?

I do hope that Adnan is granted a retrial. Although I know this has been hard on Hea's family, I truly believe Adnan was denied a fair trial.

Although I'm not convinced he's innocent (I need to see all the evidence first), I also don't see how they came to the conclusion that he is guilty based on the available evidence (even if you disregard the new evidence from Asia). It seems as if they took Jay's testimony as fact, even though he kept changing his story and other evidence contradicted aspects of it. I feel that they overlooked or ignored anything that contradicted the story as they had decided that Adnan was guilty.

Why would Jay's word be treated as the truth but not anyone else's? And why does there not seem to be forensic evidence to back up his tale?

Agree on all points!

There is too much wrong with the way this case was handled. I am not sure that Adnan is innocent, only that this was not a fair trial.

Has anyone delved into the Undisclosed series? Of particular interest imo is the episode about Adnan's lawyer, Tina Gutierrez.

Justin Fenton (@justin_fenton): https://twitter.com/justin_fenton?s=09

Court's order granting Adnan Syed a new trial posted here: https://t.co/oTHA2VpLlb

Breaking: Judge vacates Adnan Syed's conviction and orders new trial https://t.co/EidemURXiO

In judge's opinion, he says he is granting new trial based on ineffective assistance of counsel for failing to cross on cell phone evidence
Thank you for this update! I've been anxiously anticipating this news!

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

To be a fly on the wall for that trial...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. The power of a podcast.

His conviction was overturned and a new trial ordered, on the basis of ineffective counsel. The unreliable cell phone evidence was key to the decision.

Can't provide a link at the moment, but the Huffington Post has a link to the court's order.

DENIED: the merits of ineffective counsel argument related to not calling Asia as an alibi witness.

DENIED: allegations of prosecutorial misconduct

GRANTED: ineffective counsel argument, that Syed's attorney didn't counter the State's cell phone expert.

GRANTED: vacated conviction, a new trial.

(Syed. Autocorrected and can't edit).

I know the State will appeal the judge's decision, but it will stand. I really don't think the State will re-try the case. There's so much available info they know they have no chance of proving the case beyond a shadow of a doubt now.

I know the State will appeal the judge's decision, but it will stand. I really don't think the State will re-try the case. There's so much available info they know they have no chance of proving the case beyond a shadow of a doubt now.

I'm pretty sure the State will retry him, actually. The only error the court found was by his counsel, about one piece of evidence (though it was obviously very significant).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member