MD MD - Joann 'Jody' LeCornu, 23, Towson, 2 March 1996

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by OkieGranny, May 12, 2016.

1. brother_p

brother_p New Member

I just listened to the story on a podcast. Here is my theory:

Jody needed somewhere to stay after being kicked out by her boyfriend. She spent the evening in the bar and came to an agreement with the bartender (who was reputed to sell drugs from behind the bar according to Jenny) that she would be allowed to crash at his place in exchange for conducting a drug deal on his behalf. She drove the employee home and returned to the lot. She placed a couple of calls, including one to the bar, and shortly thereafter the suspect arrived in his white BMW. He approached the car and she rolled down the window. A brief exchange followed and she started to leave. The suspect shot her, followed her, took the money and left.

So why did she leave, and why did the suspect shoot her? I theorize that he arrived and told her the deal was for a certain amount of money, which exceeded the amount she had on her (provided by the bartender). She said she would go back to the bar and get more, and rather than wait, he figured he could rip her off. He shot at her as she drove away, followed her to the other lot, took the cash, and left her to die.

Did the police check the outgoing calls from the bar that night around the time Jody called? Did they interview the bartender or other employees of the bar about the reputed drug activity in the bar?

2. Moosebegoose

Moosebegoose Active Member

John and the BrainScratchers have also released Part 2 regarding Jody's case - as a Q & A with Jody's sister, Jenny.

dotr, Alcina, IHAVENOCLUE and 2 others like this.
  3. Niner

Niner Long time Websleuther

Whoa - just saw the picture of Joann - she kind of looks like Nicole Brown....

Nothing new, eh?

dotr, IHAVENOCLUE and Jim_M like this.
  4. Niner

Niner Long time Websleuther

Bumping up for Jody!

5. iulia

iulia Well-Known Member

'FIND MY KILLER': Woman Erects Billboard To Find Twin Sister's Killer

TatianaBarbie, dotr, Alcina and 6 others like this.
  6. neverletgo

neverletgo Well-Known Member

Another article on the billboard:

After Watching Oscar-Nominated Film, Md. Woman Took Out Billboard to Help Solve Twin's 1996 Killing
    Chris Harris - January 05, 2019 - 02:23 PM

[​IMG]

Link: After Watching Oscar-Nominated Film, Md. Woman Took Out Billboard to Help Solve Twin's 1996 Killing

7. YESorNO

YESorNO The Queen (aka "mrsmuir") SWBB

Family Of Murdered Towson University Student Seeking Answers, 23 Years Later (with clip)

March 2, 2019

"TOWSON, Md. (WJZ) — Jody LeCornu, a Towson University student, was shot and killed in Baltimore County 23 years ago.

Her twin sister has never given up the search to find who pulled the trigger.

The family hopes that answers could come soon.

On display above three of Baltimore’s busy thoroughfares are billboards begging for answers.

“It’s hard,” Jenny Carrieri, LeCornu’s sister, said. “I mean, I struggle. I struggle a lot.”

Saturday marks the 23rd anniversary of LeCornu’s death. She was shot and killed on York Road in Baltimore County.

Carrieri has made it her life’s mission to find her sisters killer...."

Family Of Murdered Towson University Student Seeking Answers, 23 Years Later

[​IMG]
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8. SeekingJana

SeekingJana May I be the person my dogs think I am! :)

I was coming to post about her sister's outreach to the public.
    It appears that a lawsuit against the original investigative body of LE is what has allowed her to fund, or partially fund, the billboards.

Here's a very good story with photos of the twins when they were teens.
    Film inspires woman to put up billboards offering $100,000 23 years after twin sister's murder | Daily Mail Online

If a poster doesn't like or trust the site, no one's forcing anyone else to go there.
    I hope so much that Jennifer can help effect justice for her twin. That's the goal, and all media exposure is good exposure for Jody.

It's disturbing to me that the autopsy report was never released to the family. I wonder:
    Was there foreign DNA?
    Has it been tested, or is is still available to test?
    Maybe this is a case which can be solved through familial DNA in the perp's family tree, IDK.

The reward has been raised, and that usually will bring at least one angry ex- girlfriend or sibling of the perp. or someone who knows the perp. out of the shadows.
    Praying that the pro-active stance of her sweet sister will lead to a break in this very old case.

Respectfully, IMO.

9. Truth707

Truth707 New Member

From the articles and website I read this scenario was my first thoughts of what happened. The only thing I don’t understand is the army fatigue jacket if that is correct depiction of what the suspect was wearing.
    Scenario: Jody went to ATM to get money because she was meeting with someone to buy “something” maybe for herself or a friend possibly drugs. I don’t believe she knew the person because if she did he would have sat in the passenger seat.
    From all the phone calls she was making, I feel that someone (a friend or associate perhaps someone from the bar) knew she was meeting this person. That person may have been the middle man. If she called this suspect directly then the phone call would have been in the phone records possibly but I believe someone she knew was the middle man for this transaction. She must have trusted that person to set up the purchase or she was doing the purchase for that friend. The suspect came to the window and did the exchange. Then he went back to his vehicle and he knew he had the opportunity to get away with robbing her because she was alone. He shot her then waited because he probably knew she was injured and his goal was to get the “package” back. So I think the biggest lead would be the people she called that night. They have the answer and know who met up with her. That person was probably afraid of repercussions for snitching.

dotr, Alcina, IHAVENOCLUE and 2 others like this.
  10. Richard

Richard Well-Known Member

SeekingJana, dotr, Alcina and 4 others like this.
  11. Fish240

Fish240 New Member

The sad fact is either the detectives screwed the pooch or they have a strong suspect and divulging of case facts could hamper the investigation. There could also be listed suspects that were cleared and the releasing of this information could prove libel . I remember this case well and never understood why more media coverage was not used. The video was never released to the public to my knowledge. I think the family would have gotten more work out of BPD Homicide. Lets face it when you literally work hundreds of homicides you get better at it. Just a theory I had all along is that she was doing the bartender a solid. I think after she dropped off this mystery worker that needed a ride then she did what most alcoholics do when bars close. She went and got more alcohol. The thing that jumps out is that she stopped in the parking as to be waiting for someone. My guess is she was picking narcotics for her bartender buddy. The dealer shows and as in many cases not only wanted to do the drug deal but may have requested sex from her. Keep in mind she had no narcotics in the autopsy. So I am feeling she was picking up for someone else. The verbal exchange observed could have been her berating this turd for wanting more. The family stated she was a tough young lady. I am guessing this guy came from the city to do the drop. They will kill you there for anything they deem disrespectful. Ironic isn't it. I know she could not have withdrawn enough money to rectify a drug rip. So the drug dealing bartender comes to mind. There is a chance she had the dope delivering it to this suspect as a favor. She was obviously in a drunken state sadly I might add. The bartender is the key here she called him for a reason at that hour. I really do not see this telling anyone what he did or anyone ratting him out. He is a cold blooded coward that will kill you. The Army jacket tells you he sees himself as a soldier. Baltimore is a cess pool of thugs that kill one another for the color of a rag or a corner to sling dope. I pray this family gets closure and a copy of the report. I do not know who they hired as a P.I. but make sure the person worked homicide and knows the streets. One more thing was this alleged married guy she was seeing does anyone know what he did for a living or background. Military/police maybe ? The Chief in Balt Co. is Terry Sheridian retired Maryland Trooper he is a solid guy request a sit down with him I think you might get some answers.

SeekingJana, Berrybell, dotr and 2 others like this.
  12. Laughing

Laughing Rarely Speechless

13. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

SeekingJana, Niner, Alcina and 2 others like this.
  14. Tricia

Tricia Owner Websleuths.com Staff Member Administrator Moderator

15. IHAVENOCLUE

IHAVENOCLUE Well-Known Member

VERY interesting post! !!

SeekingJana, dotr and Alcina like this.
  16. squareandrabbet

squareandrabbet Well-Known Member

David Simon, creator of the Wire, used to be a reporter on the crime beat at the Baltimore Sun, which is where he got a whole bunch of his information about Baltimore gangs. I wonder if he would take this on as a cause celebre, and get some light shed on the situation.

Trinitee and dotr like this.
  17. rob525

rob525 Well-Known Member

"She was able to drive a little bit longer and she circled the parking lot and he stayed at the top and watched her. Shortly after, she came to a stop, I believe after hitting a curb. He drove over to her with witnesses around and reached in over her body, put her car in park and took something out of her car and got into his car and took a right on York Road."

When I read this I thought that the killers actions were beyond brazen, which, like a previous poster made me immediately think of someone involved with law enforcement. Or gang activity. Law enforcement would explain why the investigation went no where.

If the bartender asked her to pick up something in exchange for a place to stay that night then the bartender should have some information to share.

SeekingJana, Niner, Elle*Bee and 2 others like this.
  18. Elle*Bee

Elle*Bee We're all just stories in the end.

I lived in the Washington, DC area at the time of Jody’s murder and I remember hearing about it then. I moved away from that area in 1999 and didn’t realize the case hadn’t been solved. So sad. I hope Jody’s family finally receives justice.

SeekingJana and dotr like this.
  19. TTF14

TTF14 Spaceship Headlight Pattern Expert

I just happened upon a podcast about this story and came here to see if there was a thread about it. This really seems like a solvable case, especially if they have a fingerprint!