MD MD - Kanika Powell, 28, Upper Marlboro, 29 Aug 2008

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by always reading, Feb 20, 2013.

1. always reading

always reading Well-Known Member

Someone posted about this government employee's murder on FB, and I was intrigued.

Prince George's Killing, Apparently Planned, Opens Host of Mysteries
    Kanika Powell suspected something when the man knocked on her door claiming to be an FBI agent. He held a badge up to her peephole but walked away when Powell refused to open up without seeing a photo ID.

Five days later, there was another knock at the door of her Laurel area apartment. This time a different man, who said he was delivering a package. When Powell again refused to open the door, he also left -- no package, no note where it could be claimed.

Five hours later, Powell was outside her door after returning from errands. Someone was waiting in the hallway and opened fire, riddling her with bullets. She died a day later, this past Friday, and police have no idea why she was killed.

2. Loading...

3. always reading

4. Richard

Richard Well-Known Member

Upper Marlboro is the county seat of Prince Georges County, Maryland.

Laurel is the northernmost city in Prince Georges County, and is a good half hour (at least) drive from Upper Marlboro.

From the information available it would seem that her murder was a planned hit.

Hopefully, police will obtain enough information and clues for an arrest.

Have there been any updates on this case since 2008?

5. always reading

Yes, it definitely seems planned. I've searched online but I'm unable to find any updates on the case. What I did find though was another security worker was also murdered by gunshot:
    Green began working for BEA Systems as a contract tech-support employee with top-secret security clearance at the National Counterterrorism Center in Tysons Corner.

Green kept classified information flowing and critical computer systems humming, his supervisor said. "Sean understood how his critical work contributed to the success of our mission and he strove to do his very best each and every day," Leiter wrote. "His important work at this center has helped to keep our country safe."

For reasons that remain a mystery, police say, Green was slain Nov. 12, shot nine times by a masked gunman as he sat in his car at a red light off the Capital Beltway near Oxon Hill at rush hour.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/22/AR2008112202015.html

6. Pisces Cloud

Pisces Cloud Member

Are there any theories as to what might have happened here? It does seem like a bit of a mystery.

7. Duckiegirl

Duckiegirl New Member

This site has the email she sent out to her friends after the guy posing as a FBI agent knocked on her door.

http://www.michellesigona.com/2010/03/death-at-the-door-2/

It's also claimed the man who shot her was the man who tried to deliver the package.

But how did they know it's the same man, did anyone else see him both times? Was he caught on security camera? And if he was, wouldn't that have been released to the public to see if anyone knew the man?

8. always reading

Pisces, I can't find any updates. This case is baffling.

9. always reading

I think they're just speculating that it was the same man. Some articles just say a man gunned her down, instead of the same man.

10. aurora_sky

aurora_sky Member

Just hearing about this case. This is very disturbing! Any updates?

11. Sallywally

Sallywally New Member

Bump for updates

12. Blsdjs

Blsdjs New Member

Very intriguing case...will have to try and learn more about this. Thanks for bumping Sallywally.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

13. Rayemonde

Rayemonde New Member

Very strange! Can't believe there are no updates...