MD - Man Accuses Maryland Dr. Of Stapling His Buttocks Shut

bracken123

Reaction score
LOL! Neither have I (except for one repeat offender that inserts large amounts of coins! With him we take bets on how much we will pull out!)
I love it!
My husband cringes whenever I tell him of a recently retrieved item, he says nurses have to be a little warped - I agree!:crazy::crazy:

Rayemonde

Reaction score

Rayemonde

Reaction score
LOL! Neither have I (except for one repeat offender that inserts large amounts of coins! With him we take bets on how much we will pull out!)

Repeat offenders?! I'd have thought that after one such painful and embarrassing incident, they would be more careful in future...

I wonder if some people actually do it on purpose, getting a thrill out of the doctor removing things from them?!

Rayemonde

Reaction score
August 2009 - the Plaintiff tries to get a new trial, but is denied:

Specifically, the plaintiffs argue they were unfairly
surprised by: (1) Dr. Casiano’s claim that he used a linear stapler during Mr. Watkins’s surgery,
and (2) his claim that it would be impossible to staple shut a rectum using that linear stapler.
They claim they were prejudiced by the inability to present their expert’s opinion that a rectum
could be stapled shut using either a linear or articulating stapler.

While the plaintiffs have shown that they were surprised by Dr. Casiano’s testimony
regarding his use of the Ethicon stapler, they have failed to demonstrate that they suffered actual
prejudice.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...CCIwAg&usg=AFQjCNHM0kHygxQfcSVv71hkAFU_aNW3uw

Rayemonde

Reaction score
This "related article" from 2008 also came up as I looked for an update to this thread:

A Kentucky man who claims his penis was removed without his consent during what was supposed to be a circumcision has sued the doctor who performed the surgery...

the Seaton's attorney said the doctor's post-surgical notes show the doctor thought he detected cancer and removed the penis. Attorney Kevin George said a later test did detect cancer.

"It was not an emergency," George told The Associated Press on Thursday. "It didn't have to happen that way."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2008/0...tors-amputated-penis-without-his-consent.html

Rayemonde

Reaction score
August 2011:

Dr John Patterson, who performed the surgery in 2007, said that during the operation on Phillip Seaton, 64, he discovered a rare and deadly cancer.

'What I saw was not a penis. What I saw was cancer,' Dr Patterson told the court in Shelby County, Kentucky...

Although Mrs Seaton was in the hospital waiting room, the doctor said he did not consult her because she had not accompanied her husband to office visits or into the pre-operation area, which he thought was unusual.

'My impression was she would not be someone I would ask what he would want,' Dr Patterson testified...

During opening arguments, Robinson said Mr Seaton had before the surgery initialed a document authorizing treatment in unforeseen circumstances...

The jury of eight-women and six-men was shown graphic images.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...utating-Phillip-Seatons-penis-saved-life.html

Jeez... Just imagine being a juror in one of these trials! :what:

Rayemonde

Reaction score
August 2011:

A U.S. jury has ruled in favour of Dr John Patterson, who removed part of the organ after finding potentially-deadly cancer during surgery in 2007...

Mr Seaton had been seeking up to $16million in damages for ‘loss of service, love and affection’ after his ‘manhood was taken’.

‘Phillip has changed,’ his lawyer Kevin George, said in closing arguments. ‘He was mutilated. His manhood was taken.

'Everyone agrees that Phillip Seaton (has) the right to decide what is going to happen to his penis.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nis-amputation-lawsuit-Dr-John-Patterson.html

Rayemonde

Reaction score
Sept 2011:

Kevin George, the lawyer for Phillip Seaton of Waddy, told the appeals panel that the medical waiver signed by his client contains extremely broad language and that Dr. John Patterson should have sought consent before removing the penis...

Judges Janet Stumbo and Donna Dixon took in the 30 minutes of arguments in Frankfort over whether a judge erred in the jury instructions and if the pre-surgery medical consent form was valid or the language in it proved to be too vague. Judge Michael Caperton missed the arguments. Stumbo said Caperton mistakenly went to Louisville for the case, but would listen to a recording of it later....

Both sides of the case agree that Seaton had cancer in his penis, but the main point of contention is over whether Patterson acted reasonably in removing the organ or could amputation have been delayed to give Seaton time to seek other medical options...

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/phillip-seatons-penis-amputation-appeal_n_1875011.html

One of the judges accidentally went to the wrong court?! Sheesh. Poor Mr. Seaton must have felt like no one was taking him seriously.

Rayemonde

Reaction score
December 2012:

The Kentucky Court of Appeals found that a jury correctly concluded that 66-year-old Phillip Seaton of Waddy consented to allow Dr. John Patterson to perform any procedure deemed necessary during the Oct. 19, 2007, surgery...

The Seatons also sued Jewish Hospital, where the surgery took place. The hospital settled with the couple for an undisclosed amount...

Stumbo and Judge Donna Dixon concluded that, even though Seaton had limited ability to read and write, he never informed the doctor of that fact and signed the consent form in the presence of a witness.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/12/21/ky-penis-removal-case/1784789/

meanmaryjean

Verified RN (Pediatrics Specialty)
Reaction score
Repeat offenders?! I'd have thought that after one such painful and embarrassing incident, they would be more careful in future...

I wonder if some people actually do it on purpose, getting a thrill out of the doctor removing things from them?!

The story is usually "I fell in the shower and (name weird object) just ended up there!" My tenure in the ER many years ago gave me a lifetime of amusing anecdotes I cannot share with anyone......