MD - Phylicia Barnes, 16, Baltimore, 28 Dec 2010 #9

Opening statements:
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...icia-barnes-retrial-opens-20141205-story.html

Johnson has new attorneys for this trial, both former members of the state public defender's office's now-defunct capital punishment unit.
The attorneys, Katy O'Donnell and Kaye Beehler, filed more than 30 motions in the case, including asking that both prosecutors recuse themselves and requesting that the jury sit on a different side of the courtroom so it could better hear the defense's arguments.
After Baltimore Circuit Judge John Addison Howard denied most of the motions, the attorneys also filed a motion asking Howard to step down from overseeing the case, arguing he was biased against them. Howard denied that motion, too.

In opening statements, O'Donnell said police and prosecutors wrongly concentrated on Johnson from the start of their investigation and have assembled "little discrepancies, little inconsistencies" to point the finger at Johnson.
"When you listen to everything presented to you, there is no credible evidence that Michael Johnson … murdered Phylicia Barnes," O'Donnell told the jury. "There's no motive for this crime.

Assistant State's Attorney Lisa Goldberg, who is trying the case a second time along with Tonya LaPolla, said prosecutors will once again present a video to the jury showing a nude and intoxicated Phylicia Barnes frolicking with Johnson, her older sister and his younger brother in June 2010. "The events of that night, the evidence will show, changed the relationships for everyone in that group," Goldberg said.

Any live feed or link to opening statements today? Tia

Texts and emails introduced today.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...-in-phylicia-barnes-trial-20141210-story.html

On Dec. 28 - the morning Phylicia disappeared - Johnson made his last appeal to Deena via text message.

"It ain't too late babe. We can still turn this around like Bonnie and Clyde," he said in one message. "As long as I put my heart and feelings on the table, I can sleep knowing I tried," the message concludes.
Prosecutors say that text is the last acknowledgment from anyone of Phylicia being seen alive, and believe Johnson was covering his tracks. They contend that Johnson had developed a questionable relationship with Phylicia, citing 1,300 text messages exchanged between them in the months before she went missing. The content of those messages has not been disclosed, but Johnson's attorneys say they contain nothing inappropriate.

The messages between Deena Barnes and Johnson, drawn out by Johnson's attorneys on cross-examination of Deena Barnes, add a fuller picture to Johnson's mindset in the time leading up to Phylicia's disappearance, but they appear to fall short of showing a motive for the teenage girl's murder.

I am seriously disappointed in the Baltimore news sites.

Nothing? Really?

Today I got an alert that a juror was dismissed when she went into labor. But-------
WHAT happened in the trial?

(and that was one of the better sites)

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/12/18/5393803/retrial-underway-in-murder-of.html#.VJQy0egIA

On Wednesday, prosecutors played a tape of an interview police did with Johnson on Dec. 31, 2010, a few days after Phylicia disappeared. He was not a suspect at the time, and Baltimore Police Detective David McDermott, who conducted the interview, testified in court that Johnson agreed to be interviewed voluntarily and was calm and cooperative.

On the tape, Johnson said that Phylicia had visited Deena Barnes and him before, in December 2009 and during the summer of 2010. He said she liked to be with them because there were “no real adults restricting you,” and that she drank alcohol and smoked marijuana. He said he called Phylicia “lil sis.”

Thank you! I especially like the last 3 paragraphs, and I hope to God they nail him.

David, I am adding your articles to the Phylicia Barnes Case Archive, I hope that is fine with you.
http://s296.photobucket.com/user/cr...tice for Phylicia Simone Barnes?sort=6&page=1

I read that article and instantly focused on Michael's comment during the wiretap phone call about his DNA possibly being under Phylicia's finger nails because they had been play fighting the day before she disappeared. I immediately turned to my wife (Forensics Scientist) and asked her to read that statement. She said she wonders what kind of play fighting they were doing to get his DNA under her nails. She further added that it's not impossible but highly improbable to get his DNA in that manner. Then she asked a rhetorical question. Were they play fighting in the nude? Highlighting the obvious that it would be difficult to get his DNA through clothing or casual contact. He's lying!!

I read that article and instantly focused on Michael's comment during the wiretap phone call about his DNA possibly being under Phylicia's finger nails because they had been play fighting the day before she disappeared. I immediately turned to my wife (Forensics Scientist) and asked her to read that statement. She said she wonders what kind of play fighting they were doing to get his DNA under her nails. She further added that it's not impossible but highly improbable to get his DNA in that manner. Then she asked a rhetorical question. Were they play fighting in the nude? Highlighting the obvious that it would be difficult to get his DNA through clothing or casual contact. He's lying!!

The same comment jumped out at me, also. Ask your wife how likely it is for DNA to remain under a persons finger nails for 24 hours if they have washed their hands appx a half dozen times after using the restroom and showered.

I think MJ sealed his own fate by commenting on his worries about his DNA being under Phylicia's finger nails.

I pray the jury catches the same thing. As for the J, based on the texts and cell pings it sounds like they are accessories after the fact.

I'm still baffled why Deena was never charged with anything. She's sick. Who in their mid 20's prances naked with their teenage kid sister and various males? Or provides them with drugs and alcohol?

I wonder if Phylicia's mom will file a wrongful death lawsuit or if the statute of limitations has run out for a wrongful death lawsuit.

Deena may never feel justice on earth, but she will face justice for her hand in what happened to Phylicia.
I am incredulous that she faced no charges.

Something that has always bothered me... Michael was tracked by pings west of Baltimore, but not east near Conowingo.
Remember when they searched that well with a shed over it... I always wondered if Michael brought her there overnight and then he and/or someone took her to the river north of the dam the next day. Of course they would know to leave phones behind.

I've always wondered how many of his brothers were in this.

I think cell phone data on pings isn't necessarily conclusive these days.
Everyone knows they are investigated, so whose to say another family member wasn't driving with MJ's phone to throw the investigation off? I.D.K if knowing where the cell phone was means it was with the suspect. I think mj was smarter than to be the one using his cell phone the afternoon of Phylicia's disappearance.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back