MD- Police respond to 911 medical call, caller killed after police punch

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by animlzrule, Sep 25, 2016.

1. animlzrule

animlzrule New Member

Baltimore man who called 911 for help dies after being punched by police

"A 21-year-old man died in a hospital near Baltimore on Wednesday, after an altercation with county police officers who repeatedly punched him as they responded to a call for an ambulance." He had called the ambulance for help for himself. Apparently high, and/or delusional. Once again, a family member pleads for the police to be careful, that they're going to kill him...

"“They really were supposed to be there to get him to the nearest healthcare facility,” Francis-Williams said.

After being questioned on the discrepancy, the police department updated its account, saying: “Police originally thought the girlfriend was the caller because the information passed on to police from the dispatcher said ‘female yelling on the phone’.

You'd think Baltimore police would have learned something from the Freddie Gray killing, but then again, when they're not being held accountable for killing people in their custody, what do they have to lose? They know they can act with impunity.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/24/baltimore-man-tawon-boyd-dies-after-he-called-911

2. Loading...

3. ohreally

ohreally New Member

When making statements about another case it is only fair to state facts. These officers were indicted a grand jury. Most had trials where they found not guilty, one had a hung jury and the other cases were dropped. Also I believe they have been cleared by the DOJ. According to our laws (which apply to all including police) they were not responsible for his death. It may be ones opinion that they weren't held accountable but it is only an opinion.
    Still waiting for more information on this case.

4. Tawny

Tawny Bye

What in the actual salty blue hell.

5. animlzrule

animlzrule New Member

Well, seeing as how spines do not spontaneously snap, and he had no spinal injury before coming in contact with police, and had a snapped spine after having been in police custody, it's pretty clear the police were involved. Unfortunately, politics once again intervened with justice. And as we've seen multiple times since, even having video evidence of police negligence, brutality and ineptitude does not guarantee a successful prosecution. I have little hope that Boyd's family will ever see justice. Obviously no lessons were learned in Baltimore.

6. Jax49

Jax49 Florida Native

7. Jax49

Jax49 Florida Native

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/tawon-boyd-maryland-man-dies-three-days-after-fight-with-police/

8. bluesneakers

bluesneakers Well-Known Member

Man Dies 3 Days After Calling Police for Help

Something is very wrong here.

9. al66pine

al66pine New Member

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/24/baltimore-man-tawon-boyd-dies-after-he-called-911?CMP=twt_guSept 24

Re article’s stmt: “…it doesn’t appear that Boyd was trying to hurt the officers…” bbm
    I have not seen any vid yet, but “it doesn’t appear” is a subjective opinion, not a factual conclusion.Seems this isMichael Harthorne, Newser Staff opinion. Or someone else? Was Mr. Boyd trying to hurt the LEOs? Maybe. Maybe not. IDK.

Re article’s stmt: “Boyd repeatedly asked officers to enter his home, the report said, and asked a neighbor to call the police.”
    This puzzles me. Were LEOs already at the home, when Boyd asked neighbor to call police? Or did reporter misunderstand/misreport sequence of those two events?

Re: Ms Burch’s/grandmother’s stmt: Boyd "was acting...like he was on something."
    Again, another opinion. May be accurate, may not be. If he was “on something” does he “get a pass” on resisting arrest or causing injury to LEOs, who then should not have used any force on him? IDK. If he was not drunk or on drugs, do his actions justify LEOs’ use of force reactions? IDK.

Re LEO incident report at http://www.wbaltv.com/blob/view/-/41784036/data/1/-/10wgqab/-/Tawon-Boyd-police-report.pdf:
    Same analysis applies. Some of the phrasing may be opinion; some may be objectively verifiable facts. Is each sentence accurate, actually factual? IDK.

Re: cause of death & manner of death.
    “An autopsy has not been completed….”
    “Though an autopsy has not been released, Francis-Williams [lawyer for Boyd’s family] said therewas “swelling on the brain and fluid on the brain because the doctors attempted to drain that.
    “My understanding is his kidneys end up failing and at some point, his heart stops,” she said.
    &#8221; <--- from theguardian.com link.

From http://www.newser.com/story/231591/man-dies-after-being-punched-by-police-he-called.html
    &#8220;&#8230;medic gave Boyd haloperidol, an antipsychotic drug, to calm himdown. An autopsy is now looking into whether the drug played a role in Boyd's death Wednesday from heart and kidneyfailure&#8230;.&#8221; bbm

Were CoD& MoD from injuries inflicted by LEOs at scene? Or by the drug the medic admin&#8217;ed at scene? Or by doctor/health professionals at hosp in the following few days? One of those three is likely, JM2cts. Did a stealthy ninja hired by a foreign government enter his room and kill him for political purposes? Did he die of natural causes or suicide? IDK on those but doubt it.

Anyway, no CoD or MoD available now. I&#8217;ll take a few deep breaths and await autopsy report.

RIP Mr. Boyd.

10. perfectingpink

perfectingpink Well-Known Member

11. ohreally

ohreally New Member

IMO the most important question is what is the cause of death and what was the manner of death. Law enforcement was called to the house on a medical emergency.
    Also if he was resisting, were the 'punches' self defense?

12. human

human Well-Known Member

No matter what the circumstances, the black guy is at fault.

13. bluesneakers

[video=twitter;778681224277598210]https://twitter.com/BrianfromABC2/status/778681224277598210[/video]

:rose:

14. Tawny

Tawny Bye

Because punching someone clearly in distress and needing medical attention is... ok?

15. bluesneakers

Half of People Killed by Police Have a Disability: Report

16. flourish

flourish Well-Known Member

Oh jeez. I read here a lot. Too much, if Mr flourish and my sister are to be believed lol.

But this made me cry a bit. I work with this population. So many of my clients could be one of these statistics.

17. Dockins

Dockins New Member

I'm an RN, and have administered haldol quite a lot when I worked the ER. Even as a trained medical professional who has countless hours of de-escalation training, sometimes we just need to call LE when things get too far out of hand, but it is the exception, IMO, not the norm. I don't know what the answers are to these calls, but it might be helpful for larger LE forces to have a mental illness squad, like they do for swat when a call comes in and it's conveyed that mental illness may be at play.