MD MD - Sheree Marie Magaro, 30, Kennedyville, 22 Feb 1987

SurrealisticSlumbers

Reaction score
magaro_sheree.jpg

Sheree Marie Magaro

Missing since February 22, 1987 from Kennedysville (formerly called Kentmore Park), Kent County, Md.

Vital Statistics:

Date of Birth: October 23, 1956
Age at Time of Disappearance: 30 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'3; 140 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown, short hair; brown eyes.

Circumstances of Disappearance:

Sheree Magaro, 30, was last seen departing her boyfriend's residence in Kennedysville (formerly called Kentmore Park), Md. on Sunday, February 22, 1987 at approximately 9:45 p.m. She was headed back home to Harrisburg, Pa. That night, there was a severe snow storm in the area. The snow started falling during the early evening and forecasters predicted a major storm. She had originally planned to spend the night with her boyfriend, Frank Brown, at his home and then drive to work early in the morning. She’d spent the last few days with Brown, leaving her 4-year-old son Tony at her mother’s house. Her mother, Mary Grace Youtz, said her daughter visited Brown often. But, as the snow fell harder, Magaro decided to leave that night.

She said her goodbyes sometime around 9:30 p.m. and climbed into her gray, four-door ’76 Ford Torino. “She called me and told me she was leaving because it was snowing,” said her mother. “I told her, ‘Don’t come home because you will be traveling with the storm.’ She said she had to come home to go to work.”

She never made it.

Her burnt, abandoned vehicle was discovered the next day — but she wasn’t in it. Sheree Magaro has never been heard from since.

That night, a full 18 inches of snow blanketed Cecil County, Md. At 9:30 a.m. that next day, Trooper Tom Kerns responded to an anonymous call reporting a deserted vehicle in a field about 100 feet west of Route 213, two and-a-half miles south of the Bohemia River Bridge, which is just north of Cecilton. He found Magaro's partially burnt car facing toward the Kent County border. Kerns saw blood in the car and noticed clothing scattered about. Hair and human tissue was found in the car, too. Even without a body, the medical examiner declared Magaro dead because of the amount of blood and brain matter found at the scene. The official cause of death was blunt force trauma to the head. Investigators would not release what kind of weapon they believed was used. Investigators interviewed witnesses who remember driving past the field and seeing a Ford Mustang with Pennsylvania license plates and its hazard lights on. One witness told police she saw a man talking to a woman in a car that resembled Magaro's gray Torino.

"We looked at her stopping to help someone who was disabled," Maryland State Police homicide investigator Roger Cassell said. "And we got various stories from her family and friends. Some said she would stop and help anyone. Others said she was very cautious, and she wouldn't stop." Youtz said her daughter would have stopped. "She would have given anyone a ride," Youtz said. "She would have pitied them."

Police determined the car could not have broken down. It was in perfect working order with nearly seven gallons of gasoline in the tank - more than enough to get her to Elkton where she normally stopped. "The mechanics went over the car," said Capt. Larry Meusel, who was active in the case. "It started. It ran. The tires were filled. It had coolant in it. There was gas in the tank."

Police recovered Magaro's pocketbook, her driver's license and a tube of lipstick in the field. Months after the disappearance, a crew cleaning the roads recovered a credit card of Magaro's, near White Hall Road about 10-11 miles north of where the car was found. Nothing else was recovered during a search of the area.

With more than a foot of snow covering the field, police theorized her body might be buried. Officers formed a line and shuffled through the snow, but to no avail. To this day, her body has never been found, and police have made no arrests. Some think Magaro's body was dumped in the Bohemia River Bridge, which was being reconstructed at the time of her murder.

Meusel said police thoroughly investigated that theory. "There were no tire prints or tracks or anything by the bridge," he said. "We took dirt samples and grass samples to see if the car was driven in any other area. But it wasn't. The construction workers looked the best they could. They said she couldn't be in there. There's a lot of theories that go on whenever we do have a homicide," Meusel said. "You speculate and think 'Could this have happened?' If you don't have a body, where is the body? We searched the fields. We searched the woods. We searched the river. We had divers in the river. We had divers in by the bridge. We searched the new construction by the bridge, all along the highway from where we found the car up until Elkton."

The biggest hindrance investigators had to deal with was the snow. The roads were largely deserted because of the time and the impending storm. The few drivers on the road were too focused on getting home to notice anything unusual.

While investigators were still searching for clues at the crime scene, they learned a man had attempted to use Magaro's credit card at a Sears department store in Bel Air, Md. to buy a television. Because the credit card was maxed out, the clerk kept the card and the man left the store without saying much. Although the witnesses' descriptions of the men differ slightly, police believe the two men could be the same person.

Magaro's ex-husband, Michael Magaro, was a suspect in her murder. The couple had been divorced about a year before Magaro was killed. She had full custody of Tony. "They had the normal divorce and custody problems," Meusel said. "We looked at the ex-husband very hard, but nothing ever came from it." Michael said he and his ex-wife parted on good terms, and has always maintained his innocence. He said he worked with the police in 1987, when he traveled from his Harrisburg home to the state police barrack in North East, Md., to take two lie detector tests.

"Police said whoever killed her, she knew her killer," Michael said. "It was someone from that area. I was in Harrisburg - a good 90 to 100 miles away. What's the motive? Why would I kill her?" He can rule himself out as the killer, but everything else confuses him. "You can't make sense of something like that," he said. "She did nothing wrong. You're never going to get an answer. I feel guilty because if we were still together, she wouldn't have gone down there."

Magaro married Michael when she was young. She had Tony when she was 26 years old. She was a petite woman, with short brown hair. "It seems like yesterday [that she was still here],” Youtz said. "She was vivacious and outgoing and so friendly. I think about her four or five a times a day. I don't know if this case will ever be solved. If it's in the Lord's will, he will expose [the killer] before I die."

And while most would think the families of the victims are the only ones affected, Magaro's death still haunts investigators. Meusel, who lives in North East, said he thinks about the case constantly. He admits investigators are not any closer to solving the crime today than they were 14 years ago, but he still hopes for closure. "Every time I go down that way, I think 'Sheree, where are you?'"

Sources:

Doe Network: http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/587dfmd.html
The Charley Project:
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/magaro_sheree.html
Cecil Daily:
http://www.cecildaily.com/news/localnews/article_235997b0-a5e8-528b-bc3f-85447c9e03ad.html

Wonder if there was a delivery/pickup at a certain farm machinery place in Cecilton MD (trying to see how long in business) then onto Newark DE. That would put them going up US 213 and veering towards the DE state line. 1987 was a long time ago....bet most of those housing developments etc. were pure farmland and lots of creeks etc. My personal opinion is they would have dropped credit card because going north and just before they were to veer off either left onto US 40 or right towards DE.

Who knows...just a thought

Yes, you're absolutely right Kat. The area where the car was found (Cecil County) is jokingly referred to as "Ceciltucky" by those in my area! And you can see why. Once you get away from the highways it's all totally rural. I would think that the killer was en route to either northern Cecil County (Elkton, maybe) or Delaware.

I hope they dusted both credit cards (one found on the road and the one revoked by store clerk) for prints. If they have the guy's fingerprints on file, they're halfway to discovering who did it. I shudder to think why they didn't find a body in this case. I take consolation in the fact that maybe she died quickly, if she was hit. I suppose he attempted to burn the car in order to destroy evidence. But, I don't know what he was hoping to destroy. The scene sounds graphic.... blood and bits of brain matter?? Awful, just awful.

And, to think this was probably a local. The Sears in Bel Air is still there, in the Harford Mall (I'm a Harford County resident). That's not too far away from the crime scene, so the killer could very possibly be a resident of Harford, Cecil, or Newcastle County - or any of the neighboring areas, either in DE or the Eastern Shore of MD. I'm not trying to pigeonhole everyone from Cecil, but there are definitely a lot of unsavory types (numerous registered sex offenders, parolees, and drug dealers) who live around there, I hate to say. Certainly, there are many very respectable and upstanding people I have met from Cecil, but it unfortunately does have a bit of a reputation. There's a certain segment of the population who would do anything for a dime. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't that Ford model considered somewhat of a sportscar or a semi-upscale vehicle?

Betting that the person who killed her and stole her credit cards thought she was rich (well, richer than them, anyhow). Her vehicle had PA tags. Out-of-towner, easy target. They did not have cell phones back then, so if she was stuck in the snow and had to pull over, she had no way to call her boyfriend or mom and notify them of where she was or what was going on. The witness said she had her hazard lights on, which tells you that it was probably due to the snow that she had to pull off. And, I guess there wasn't any way she could've driven further up the road to a gas station, or any place that was well-lit with other people, where she could use a payphone. She must have been worried, and felt vulnerable on the side of that road. Probably thought the killer was going to help her, or give her a lift. She was from Harrisburg and probably didn't know how sketchy the area actually was/is.

I cannot imagine anyone (single young woman) stopping for any reason in the snow (if her car was in good working condition)....wonder if she was "pushed off road" by another vehicle knowing she was a vulnerable female. SK truckers have been known to do this or motion you are having trouble with your car and have you pull over. Sorry I am such an SK trucker believer!

I cannot imagine anyone (single young woman) stopping for any reason in the snow (if her car was in good working condition)....wonder if she was "pushed off road" by another vehicle knowing she was a vulnerable female. SK truckers have been known to do this or motion you are having trouble with your car and have you pull over. Sorry I am such an SK trucker believer!

No, you're right, I totally buy the theory that somebody lured her to pull over. I'm also wondering if she slipped and slid on the road and veered off into the field. I'm not sure if cars were all that great in the snow back then and her car wasn't all-wheel-drive.

I don't know what her boyfriend was thinking letting her go out in that snowstorm. The drive to Harrisburg was over two hours. I would've just insisted that she wait until the early morning to leave. Then again, there would've been road closures the next morning, I'm sure. Did the roads all get salted like they are now? She may have felt like she had no choice but to get going if she wanted to report to work the next morning.

It could be that she isn't the one who actually drove her car there, I know I wouldn't stop in a snowstorm

In 1987 they probably weren't as careful about looking for surrounding possible 'evidence' and could have walked around the car in the snow all over before realizing the person inside was missing.

It could be that she isn't the one who actually drove her car there, I know I wouldn't stop in a snowstorm

In 1987 they probably weren't as careful about looking for surrounding possible 'evidence' and could have walked around the car in the snow all over before realizing the person inside was missing.

Thanks for chiming in - great insight about her not having driven the car into the field. I agree. It seems likely that someone flagged her down or otherwise caught her attention as she was driving, and then once she pulled over, they took control of the vehicle.

Sheree died of blunt force trauma. Remember, blood and brain matter were found inside the vehicle. "Clothing was scattered about" - I would assume that these were the same clothes she had on when departing the boyfriend's home. This means that she was bludgeoned, undressed, and the body removed and transported elsewhere by the killer. Also, the car was "partially burnt" - did the killer try to incinerate the evidence of his crime?

Regarding "they" weren't looking for surrounding evidence / didn't see person inside the car missing - do you mean the police? Are you insinuating that they didn't see footprints in the snow or some other form of evidence? That last part kinda confused me, sorry.

Hi there,

Yes I meant the police but with no ill intention, I would think if they see an abandoned car that is empty the first instinct is to walk up to it, check the inspection sticker etc..

It's hard to believe back then, that in your small town something so sinister could happen. Even always says when something like this happens that "that doesn't happen here".

I would think the first thought as they walked up was someone was in an accident because of the weather.

The question really is what was the snow accumulation between the time she was killed and the time her car was found....something right now that only the killer knows :(

Just my opinion of course

Wow, this is an old one with a short thread for its age. I've stumbled on it while looking at an unidentified JD in Odessa, DE from 1993. Someone suggested Odessa JD could have been Sheree, but she had no head trauma. Had not heard about this one even though I'm a longtime local of a nearby area in Delaware. I can give a little bit of insight on the area & weather. Maryland Rt.213 runs thru Kennedyville, Cecilton, & Elkton, prob the route Sheree would have been taking. Most all of this was a 2 lane highway thru very rural areas. At the Elkton Rt.40 intersection, a right onto Rt.40 would take you approx 6 miles to Glasgow Delaware (which is where I'm from). From there she could have intended to turn off toward Newark to pick up I95 just a few miles away. I have driven many times to just west of Harrisburg & it took me no less than 3 hours. Heading out into a snowstorm at that late hour is just crazy. But Harrisburg people get more snow & are prob more experienced drivers than here in DE & MD. In these areas the state shuts down roads quickly & back in 87 wouldnt be too quick to clear the snow. Everyone runs to the grocery store to get bread & milk, thinking they're going to be stranded for days! It is also not uncommon in the bigger storms, people get stuck or slide into a ditch, & leave their car for later when the roads are cleared. The Cecil Daily newspaper printed Sheree's cold case info on Sept. 14, 2004, but I havent heard any updates. I have not searched for the original yet. I wonder why there's little info given on her boyfriend that she had visited for four days? And what amount of clothing was present in her car when it was found? Was it four days worth? Was there an arguement between the two, he got angry she was so set on leaving during a storm that he threw all her clothes in the car? Were there skid marks in the field like she lost control? There had to have been footprints from whoever was driving. Just too much missing information. Just my thoughts.

Also wondering if any DNA tests were run, even tho it was fairly new back then. Or if the evidence is still in storage to check now. Was there ever anything found as for what she could have been bludgeoned with?

Also wondering if any DNA tests were run, even tho it was fairly new back then. Or if the evidence is still in storage to check now. Was there ever anything found as for what she could have been bludgeoned with?

"Investigators would not release what kind of weapon they believed was used."

I'm sure they still have a box somewhere with all the evidence collected.

Does anyone besides me think it odd that the Ford Mustang seen by passersby had PA tags? Jmo, Sheree had pulled over recognizing either the Mustang or driver of it. He pulled over with her & walked to her window to talk. Perhaps an argument ensued, he pushed her over from the driver's seat so he could drive or at least to talk out of the storm. Perhaps a struggle causing her car to end up in the field where he killed her. If there was a shuffle with her wallet or purse while on the side of the road, some contents dropping in roadway or shoulder. This amount of snow would have been plowed a number of times (along with any other possible evidence) to much further up the road.

I don't know if this woman looks like Sheree, but she died of blunt force trauma. She also has similarities with being nude and Sheree's clothing throw about in her car.

Source: 708UFDE

I've noticed a few odds and ends, as well as discrepancies from the initial post on this page, which came from The Doe Network, and that of the info on the Charley Project page. Perhaps someone can give me the details as information is very scant.

Ok, to start with, Was she leaving her fiancée's house or a "boyfriend"? The reason I say this is that the CP page says she was engaged to a fellow employee. That being said, why did she leave, fearing she couldn't make it to work, when if in fact her fiancé worked there as well, just follow each other into work in the morning? Just strikes me as odd. I don't believe the boyfriend/fiancée is responsible. He didn't have the time to commit a crime like that, and cleanup, hide a body, etc.

It is also odd that her purse had valuable jewelry in it, yet all the perp took was two credit cards. One of which was discarded 11 miles away and not found until months later, and the other maxed out when attempted to be used in Bel Air, MD (an hour away). Were the cards a red herring intentionally used to make it look like a murder for "valuables" incident? Odd as well.

The CP page says the Mustang witnesses saw had MD plates, yet TDN says it was PA plates. Does anybody know which state the plates were for? The CP page says The Mustang's hazard lights were of a shape used only on models with the years 1974-1978, 1983, and 1987. I'm really hoping that the investigators checked DMV records. No color reported on the Mustang on either site.

Such scant details! My last point is the lack of a body. Given the brutal nature of the crime scene, Magaro was no doubt dead after her encounter with the perp, so why did he go through her purse, leave jewelry, take two cards discarding one 11 miles later, drive her car 100 yards into a field, try to burn the evidence (poorly), but then take the body with him? This is extremely odd behavior.

It is also odd that her purse had valuable jewelry in it, yet all the perp took was two credit cards. One of which was discarded 11 miles away and not found until months later, and the other maxed out when attempted to be used in Bel Air, MD (an hour away). Were the cards a red herring intentionally used to make it look like a murder for "valuables" incident? Odd as well.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the perpetrator tried dumping the credit cards hoping that someone would take them, use them, and become suspects themselves, to throw off investigators. The brutality of the crime, the removal of the body, the burning of the car, the fact that none of the victim’s expensive jewelry was taken; it leads me to believe that robbery isn’t the primary motive, and that the killer put a good amount of effort into concealing his identity.

I think someone either lured, coerced, or forced her off the road, or she stopped for a reason unknown to us, and was accosted while she was on the side of the road. I think it’s possible this was an attempted abduction and/or sexual assault that went wrong, and the perpetrator ended up killing Sheree right then and there.

The hardest thing for me to understand is why the body was taken. DNA profiling wasn’t invented until 1985 and wasn’t used to prosecute offenders until 1987, so I doubt he was worried about his DNA being found. If it was a stranger, why take the body? Why not leave it in the burning car? Why toss one card but try to use the other, if it indeed was the perpetrator attempting to use the card later? Such a bizarre and violent crime, I wonder if this person has committed other similar crimes elsewhere.

Hoping that Sheree will be found and her killer will be brought to justice. Someone who is capable of such a brutal act of unprovoked violence should NOT be free.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the perpetrator tried dumping the credit cards hoping that someone would take them, use them, and become suspects themselves, to throw off investigators. The brutality of the crime, the removal of the body, the burning of the car, the fact that none of the victim’s expensive jewelry was taken; it leads me to believe that robbery isn’t the primary motive, and that the killer put a good amount of effort into concealing his identity.

I think someone either lured, coerced, or forced her off the road, or she stopped for a reason unknown to us, and was accosted while she was on the side of the road. I think it’s possible this was an attempted abduction and/or sexual assault that went wrong, and the perpetrator ended up killing Sheree right then and there.

The hardest thing for me to understand is why the body was taken. DNA profiling wasn’t invented until 1985 and wasn’t used to prosecute offenders until 1987, so I doubt he was worried about his DNA being found. If it was a stranger, why take the body? Why not leave it in the burning car? Why toss one card but try to use the other, if it indeed was the perpetrator attempting to use the card later? Such a bizarre and violent crime, I wonder if this person has committed other similar crimes elsewhere.

Hoping that Sheree will be found and her killer will be brought to justice. Someone who is capable of such a brutal act of unprovoked violence should NOT be free.

Definitely a case of "why"! I think that is a good opinion in that he chucked the cards out hoping to get others to try and use them so that he wasn't looked at as a suspect. And I'm with you, I have no idea why he'd want to take the body.

I have no idea why he'd want to take the body

In situations like this - I am thinking of another Maryland "missing person," Kim Mileo - it is usually due to sentimentality. I certainly wouldn't want to graphically speculate on what happened to Sheree, but it probably is the case that the perp wanted a "souvenir" or he had plans to dispose of the body elsewhere after he was done. It could've been someone who knew her or some kind of predator with a pattern of doing this. Some serial killers of women, in particular, seem to have ritualized ways of grooming and burying / dumping the bodies of their victims. So I'd just look at the possibility of a serial carjacker / killer, especially someone who has a demonstrated pattern of accosting and assaulting female drivers, inclement weather conditions providing the perfect pretext and opportunity for a crime like this. Or that this was a person who again, knew her and was obsessed with her to do this and take the body. I am pretty creeped out by cases like these. Something very bad happened that night, that's for sure.

In situations like this - I am thinking of another Maryland "missing person," Kim Mileo - it is usually due to sentimentality. I certainly wouldn't want to graphically speculate on what happened to Sheree, but it probably is the case that the perp wanted a "souvenir" or he had plans to dispose of the body elsewhere after he was done. It could've been someone who knew her or some kind of predator with a pattern of doing this. Some serial killers of women, in particular, seem to have ritualized ways of grooming and burying / dumping the bodies of their victims. So I'd just look at the possibility of a serial carjacker / killer, especially someone who has a demonstrated pattern of accosting and assaulting female drivers, inclement weather conditions providing the perfect pretext and opportunity for a crime like this.

I think you’re spot on with this. The way the crime was committed definitely makes me lean toward this being someone who has a history of violence against women, and has a specific “preference”, so to speak, for how and why he does things. He probably has a history of attacking or abducting women on roadways — much like the New Bedford Highway Killer or Connecticut River Valley Killer.

Cases like this are the absolute epitome of a nightmare to me. Having a monster find you alone, in your car, trapped on a desolate, rural road…my stomach gets in knots just thinking about it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44
Back