Found Deceased MD - Tara Payne, 26, Baltimore, 23 March 2021

Not sure what is considered the front of the apartments, but there is no entrance to them off Boston St, so it could mean she was last seen on Boston Street, or if the writer considers the front to be Boston Street then behind the apartments would be a parking lot in a nice gated area (accessible by foot).

Hopefully I can help give some insight. I live a block away from here. The parking lot behind shipyard is only partially fenced, has had frequent car break ins, and is REALLY poorly lit at night. I avoid that parking lot when it gets dark because it really doesn’t feel safe. I worry that she may have been caught off guard while trying to get back to her car.
The shipyard parking lot is accessible from many points: Boston street (from two parts, at least), 2 neighboring apartment complexes, and a few paths off of the promenade walkway that line the harbor. With it being so dark and possibly slightly intoxicated, sadly, she was probably so vulnerable.
It is interesting too that a block back is an access point that leads to the parking lot and it right by where they are searching underwater in the harbor.

Thanks for your good and local comments, @CmsTink. It's always helpful to have a local person on hand to help us navigate and get a feel for the area.

I've been to Baltimore many times on business and to watch Orioles games, and I have some friends near there. Some of the areas around many parts of the harbor are well-lit and have a "safe feel" to them -- especially in the "tourist-y" areas -- but some the harbor shops and eateries shut down around 9:00pm. Areas not far from there, to me, can get a bit dicey. If you walk a couple of blocks in the "wrong" direction, you can get in a ruff area quickly. Even the well-known Johns Hopkins Hospital is not in a very good neighborhood.
Anyway, I think we're heading towards bad news for our birthday girl, and it could turn out to be very sad. And the "homicide" word bothers me...

One more thing --

Welcome to Websleuths,
CmsTink !!

Last edited:
Somber mood in Canton, as homicide detectives & marine crews search for missing woman

Somber mood in Canton, as homicide detectives & marine crews search for missing woman

There's no sign of Savannah Payne, after crews spent hours Wednesday searching the harbor waters in Canton. Payne went missing early Tuesday morning after celebrating her birthday the night before.

Baltimore police say they believe she may have fallen into the water but did not say why they believe that. Nor did they say what circumstances might have led to that.

They do say homicide detectives are investigating but did not say why that unit has the case.

As divers searched for Payne late Wednesday, people with somber faces stood watching and waiting.

Not sure what is considered the front of the apartments, but there is no entrance to them off Boston St, so it could mean she was last seen on Boston Street, or if the writer considers the front to be Boston Street then behind the apartments would be a parking lot in a nice gated area (accessible by foot).

Hopefully I can help give some insight. I live a block away from here. The parking lot behind shipyard is only partially fenced, has had frequent car break ins, and is REALLY poorly lit at night. I avoid that parking lot when it gets dark because it really doesn’t feel safe. I worry that she may have been caught off guard while trying to get back to her car.
The shipyard parking lot is accessible from many points: Boston street (from two parts, at least), 2 neighboring apartment complexes, and a few paths off of the promenade walkway that line the harbor. With it being so dark and possibly slightly intoxicated, sadly, she was probably so vulnerable.
It is interesting too that a block back is an access point that leads to the parking lot and it right by where they are searching underwater in the harbor.
Welcome to WS. Thank you for details about the area.

Police believe she might have fallen into the water where they are searching. They searched that area until about 9 pm last night. Haven't said what or if they found anything. She was last seen along O'Donnell St., near Canton Sqare, around 1:30 am Tuesday morning. It was her birthday, and she was out with friends in Canton, and she eventually got separated. After that, the details are sketchy. Police say she might have fallen into the water, but there is skepticism from the community, who suspects foul play. Locals are nervous and suspicious. LE is not saying why they are searching in that area.

There are definitely well-lit and dimly lit areas if you’re wandering along the Canton/Fells waterfront without sticking to the official path. One summer a few years ago, I was walking with 2 friends from Canton to Fells and 3 men on bikes followed us and verbally harassed us. We hustled to get to a busier brighter area & they left but it’s unsettling. It is somber here today. But most people I know are trying to resist speculating while they search the water.

Last edited:
https://twitter.com/RachaelCardin

Savannah Payne’s dad shared these photos with
@wjz
- says the family is hopeful and the situation for the dad is ‘too surreal.’

Savannah Payne’s dad said he used to be a diver for Baltimore City Fire in from 1988-2016. Says he has dove in these waters before
@wjz
https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2021/03/25/search-underway-for-tara-savannah-payne-woman-who-went-missing-after-baltimore-birthday-celebration/

Savannah Payne with dad, Jim, who spoke to
@wjz
today about what the family wants to say to the community- that story coming up at 4 https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2021/03/25/search-underway-for-tara-savannah-payne-woman-who-went-missing-after-baltimore-birthday-celebration/…

Dad says they feel supported by city public safety, he adds, “there’s little information that’s confirmed but there’s a lot of misinformation on Facebook social media and so forth.”
@wjz

Rachael Cardin@RachaelCardin
Dad says Savannah was a bartender at Mackys in Ocean City and McGarveys in Annapolis - says she has a ton of friends

ExWSdOsWQA064j1

‘The details are kind of sketchy’: Questions surround disappearance of missing Savannah Payne as police search harbor

Siwinski (a friend) shared the little he knows about the circumstances of Payne’s disappearance.

“It was her birthday, she was in Canton, they were having a good time with some friends,” Siwinski told the news station. “After that, the details are kind of sketchy.”

As previously reported, Baltimore police have Payne’s phone and also found her purse. Asked how and exactly when police first came into possession of Payne’s phone, a spokesperson for the Baltimore Police Department said he could not confirm the time of the initial missing persons report, and said he believes a family member contacted police after Payne did not return from her birthday night out. The spokesperson, Detective Davis, said detectives were able to locate the phone through the “Find my phone” function, likely with the help of Payne’s family and/or friends. Davis also confirmed that Payne’s purse was found on or near Boston street, but could not confirm if Payne’s phone was inside her purse or elsewhere.

Tara Savannah Payne Body Found In Water In Baltimore's Canton Neighborhood
Headline states body found but my link won’t refresh to show details yet (if that makes sense)
March 25, Updated 2:30pm
•Baltimore Police, with the help of Natural Resources Police, continued their search Thursday morning for 26-year-old Tara Savannah Payne in the water along Baltimore’s Canton neighborhood.
•Savannah got separated from her friends around 1:30 a.m. on March 23 while the group was leaving Southern Provisions.
•the Baltimore City Police Marine Unit searched the water near the area where she was last spotted around 3:30 a.m. Tuesday. They ended the search for the night around 9 p.m. but restarted it Thursday morning.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmalan
Back