MD MD - Upper Marlboro, WhtMale 15-20, UP4833, initials 'ELT' on jacket, Dec'73

Carl, can you help me out? In your reconstruction the eyes of the UID seems to drop down a little on the outer part. In the newer reconstruction this is much less. For me this is a very noticeable thing in somebody's face. I did see the PM, but his eyes are closed so that doesn't help either. And also his nose seems to be slightly bending to the right, I recognize that in your recon. Do you think this was visible in real life or due to laying on the ground/PM? Btw....you recon is very good.

Last edited:
I have doubts because of this missing person's age (born 2-28-1952, in December 1973 he would be 21) and the very young looking PM-pic of UID, but I see a "maybe".
Anthony Peter Tumolo – The Charley Project
Missing in 1966 from Philadelphia, PA, 5'2, 110, 14 years old, black hair (somewhat curly, in one of the pictures his hair looks more brown then black), brown eyes (dropping down a little on the outer side). I'm not sure about the ears and for MP there is a scar mentioned on his right cheek (depending on how deep it was this could have faded trough the years) and his mouth looks much broader. MP was described to be stubborn, independent and naïve and was in some kind of trouble before he went missing.

Anyway.....maybe it will open the possibility that this UID was from Italian decent and just took some clothes he could get a hold on.
TumoloAnthonyPeter.jpg
0906831b-b60c-4c57-b23f-a8f56e021c28.jpg

TumoloAnthonyPeter2.jpg

Case Information

Sex Male
Race / Ethnicity White / Caucasian
Estimated Age Group Adolescent
Estimated Age Range (Years)15-20
Estimated Year of Death 1973
Estimated PMI Hours
Height 5' 0"(60 inches) , Measured
Weight 105 lbs, Measured

Circumstances
Type Unidentified Deceased
Date Found December 6, 1973
NamUs Case Created February 13, 2009
ME/C QA Reviewed February 14, 2009

Location Found

Street Address Old Crain Highway near Pennsylvania Ave Upper Marlboro, Maryland
County Prince George's County

Circumstances of Recovery Subject found in a wooded area. May have been hospitalized in recent days.

Details of Recovery

Inventory of Remains All parts recovered
Condition of Remains Recognizable face

Physical Description
Hair Color Brown
Head Hair Description Brown
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Description Faint moustache
Left Eye Color Brown
Right Eye Color Brown
Eye Description Brown

Unfortunately, I don’t think this kid is listed anywhere as a missing person. I think it’s likely he was a frequent runaway and his parents (or legal guardians) just figured he’d show up again eventually. I wonder if he maybe ran away from a foster home.

He must have been in a very bad shape if he died from pneumonia. 15 year olds don’t tend to die from something like that. So wherever he ran away from, I think he must have been out there by himself without proper care for quite some time. I even wondered if maybe he suffered from AIDS (if he indeed was a drug user), it would definitely explain the COD at his age.

Judging from the pm, I don’t think he looks “roughed up”. There is no bruising or swelling anywhere. I think those marks on his face are pimples that he scratched off/open and which got infected.

IMO the reconstruction photo on NamUs is great but, inaccurate in age. I can tell the pm was available when they created the NamUs reconstruction, it's good too. The photo makes this child appear 5+years older. IMo the recon on NaMus is likeness of this JD in future adulthood. Is there no way to enter Carl's recon. in NamUs? It captures more IMO, the only possible diff. is the hair is curlier than in the PM. its looks straighter IMO. And if hair texture is the only issue it is unfortunate they don't include both photos. Everytime I check this case I am left a bit frustrated by that. I know they are busy ppl @ NamUs & doing a spectacular job. I possibly don't understand the requirements? We are reaching that point where his ppl are aging and may be searching. suppose they look for an older male? The NamUs recon is good for that. If they search for a young teen, they could overlook this case based on the recon on NamUs IMOO. Do any of you know why it isnt included?

IMO the reconstruction photo on NamUs is great but, inaccurate in age. I can tell the pm was available when they created the NamUs reconstruction, it's good too. The photo makes this child appear 5+years older. IMo the recon on NaMus is likeness of this JD in future adulthood. Is there no way to enter Carl's recon. in NamUs? It captures more IMO, the only possible diff. is the hair is curlier than in the PM. its looks straighter IMO. And if hair texture is the only issue it is unfortunate they don't include both photos. Everytime I check this case I am left a bit frustrated by that. I know they are busy ppl @ NamUs & doing a spectacular job. I possibly don't understand the requirements? We are reaching that point where his ppl are aging and may be searching. suppose they look for an older male? The NamUs recon is good for that. If they search for a young teen, they could overlook this case based on the recon on NamUs IMOO. Do any of you know why it isnt included?
As far as I know, everything on NAMUS comes from LE or agencies that work directly with LE. I agree Carl's recon is better (they usually are). If it's a matter of setting himself up as an incorporated business or something of that nature, he should absolutely do it.

I'm always so impressed by Carl. His recons are the first thing I look at when i'm reading up on an unidentified. IMO they humanize the victim more than some of the other agencies' graphics. I've said elsewhere that he gives the UID back their face while we try to give them back their name!

I found a document with a few articles about Boys Village. In January 1974, a report was released detailing beatings, drugs and sex abuse at youth centers in MD including BV. The study was completed in March 1973. If the staff knew it was coming, they may have wanted to minimize bad publicity and didn't report any boys missing.

Other articles about drug overdoses in March 1974 give a lot of information about the facility at the time. Apparently, there were over 150 escape attempts in 1973. When boys were found, they were beaten. BV was severely understaffed. This boy could have escaped and they didn't even notice. Also, interestingly enough, boys were allowed out for weekend visits with their families.

These articles have overtones of facility staff making things out to be less bad than they actually were. I could see them trying to cover their own butts by covering up a runaway. It seems like the facility may have had their own hospital/infirmary, so maybe the UID stayed there in the days before his death and there was staff miscommunication about his release. Or, if boys were able to steal drugs out of the infirmary, he could have walked out on his own.

Drugs in institutions : hearings before the Subcommittee to Investigate Juvenile Delinquency of the Committee on the Judiciary, United States Senate, Ninety-fourth Congress, first session, pursuant to S. Res. 72, section 12, Investigation of juvenile delinquency in the United States : the abuse and misuse of controlled drugs in institutions ... July 31 and August 18, 1975 : United States. Congress. Senate. Committee on the Judiciary. Subcommittee to Investigate Juvenile Delinquency : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

I don't have access to this article but it's from 1973 and mentions something about Seattle sending 20 boys to BV, I think? Could someone with access transcribe the text for us please? Cumberland News Newspaper Archives, Mar 17, 1973, p. 11

I found a document with a few articles about Boys Village. In January 1974, a report was released detailing beatings, drugs and sex abuse at youth centers in MD including BV. The study was completed in March 1973. If the staff knew it was coming, they may have wanted to minimize bad publicity and didn't report any boys missing.

Other articles about drug overdoses in March 1974 give a lot of information about the facility at the time. Apparently, there were over 150 escape attempts in 1973. When boys were found, they were beaten. BV was severely understaffed. This boy could have escaped and they didn't even notice. Also, interestingly enough, boys were allowed out for weekend visits with their families.

These articles have overtones of facility staff making things out to be less bad than they actually were. I could see them trying to cover their own butts by covering up a runaway. It seems like the facility may have had their own hospital/infirmary, so maybe the UID stayed there in the days before his death and there was staff miscommunication about his release. Or, if boys were able to steal drugs out of the infirmary, he could have walked out on his own.

Drugs in institutions : hearings before the Subcommittee to Investigate Juvenile Delinquency of the Committee on the Judiciary, United States Senate, Ninety-fourth Congress, first session, pursuant to S. Res. 72, section 12, Investigation of juvenile delinquency in the United States : the abuse and misuse of controlled drugs in institutions ... July 31 and August 18, 1975 : United States. Congress. Senate. Committee on the Judiciary. Subcommittee to Investigate Juvenile Delinquency : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

I don't have access to this article but it's from 1973 and mentions something about Seattle sending 20 boys to BV, I think? Could someone with access transcribe the text for us please? Cumberland News Newspaper Archives, Mar 17, 1973, p. 11

Did you come across any forum(s) about people who went to Boys Village in those days. In another case (WCJD) they talk about she may be stayed in the Rebeckah Home in Corpus Christi and there is a forum of girls who went there.

Did you come across any forum(s) about people who went to Boys Village in those days. In another case (WCJD) they talk about she may be stayed in the Rebeckah Home in Corpus Christi and there is a forum of girls who went there.
No, I haven't found anything like that yet. Just a forum of people telling a mother not to send her son there as it's never shaken its bad reputation

I was a teenager in the early 70's--it was widely known that group homes like this routinely mistreated their clients and covered up abuses. A boy from my area died at a similar school. School officials said it was from meningitis, except that when the body got back to his home town, the mortician said he had two broken legs and damage to his head. His family got a lawyer and the school settled out of court.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back