Identified! ME - Jonesport, Wht/OtherMale 60-65, UP15307, in ocean, clothes, watch, Jul'00 - Philip Kahn

Philip Kahn was listed on NamUs as MP19576 and his profile was removed 10 days ago.

I wonder what it said??? Is there a wayback machine?

I don't know if there is one, it would be great if there was... The only info I have about his profile is very basic, unfortunately, the one on the main dashboard.

Case Number MP19576
DLC 07.09.2000
Last Name Kahn
First Name Phillip
Missing Age 84 Years
City Las Vegas
County Clark
State NV
Sex Male
Race / Ethnicity White / Caucasian

Wow. How did we miss that? I wonder if it was his age which threw us off.
Was there a picture of him with his case file? Was his DNA not in CODIS?
I know the John Doe case file had DNA. If Philip's was in there, too, they should have matched at the point the later of the two was uploaded and run in CODIS. At least, according to NamUs, that's how it's supposed to work. It sounds like his MP case might not have included DNA, because fingerprints and dental records were used to ID him.

Wayback machine doesn't appear to archive NamUs links. It did archive findthemissing links. If someone knows how findthemissing used to format their links we could try plugging his namus number into the findthemissing format.

Some looked like this
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/(case number)

But some had also had another set of numbers added to the end that I cant seem to figure out the system behind.

1673904894739.png
(KTNV) — After 22 years, the Maine Office of Chief Medical Examiner has positively identified the partially skeletonized remains of an unknown male that were discovered in the Atlantic Ocean, 27 miles off the coast of Maine, near the Grand Manan Banks. The remains have been identified as those of Mr. Philip Kahn.

Mr. Kahn, who was 84 years old at the time, left Las Vegas, Nevada, and landed in New York City in July 2000. It remains unknown why or how he ended up off the coast of Maine.

When the remains were located in 2000, the OCME did an autopsy and took DNA and fingerprints. The fingerprints were submitted to the FBI but did not produce any matches. The DNA sample was uploaded to the FBI's Combined DNA Index but was not matched.

In 2019, the OCME contracted with Parabon Nanolabs to analyze the DNA and attempted forensic genealogy, but it did not produce any viable leads.

However, in March 2022, the OCME met with the FBI's Criminal Justice Information Services, Deceased Persons Identification Services Division regarding updated technologies available through the FBI. The OCME submitted the unidentified person's fingerprints to DPI Services in May 2022, and the FBI was able to match the fingerprints and dental records to Mr. Kahn, who had been reported missing in Las Vegas in 2000. Mr. Kahn's next of kin has been notified of the identification.

The married 84-year-old retired cab driver, who lived in a Las Vegas mobile home park with his wife Jean, said he was going to Florida to get holistic treatment for a health condition.

That was the last time anybody in his family ever saw him, said Kahn’s wife’s daughter Judy Drago, 81, in an interview on Sunday.
Now, after more than two decades, Drago and Kahn’s other relatives finally have answers — but also more questions — about what happened to Kahn.
Notified earlier this month that human remains found in the Atlantic Ocean 27 miles off the coast of Maine on July 24, 2000, have been identified as Kahn’s, Drago said she and her family have been left grateful that they finally know what happened to Kahn but also bewildered.

Last edited:
View attachment 395752
(KTNV) — After 22 years, the Maine Office of Chief Medical Examiner has positively identified the partially skeletonized remains of an unknown male that were discovered in the Atlantic Ocean, 27 miles off the coast of Maine, near the Grand Manan Banks. The remains have been identified as those of Mr. Philip Kahn.

Mr. Kahn, who was 84 years old at the time, left Las Vegas, Nevada, and landed in New York City in July 2000. It remains unknown why or how he ended up off the coast of Maine.

When the remains were located in 2000, the OCME did an autopsy and took DNA and fingerprints. The fingerprints were submitted to the FBI but did not produce any matches. The DNA sample was uploaded to the FBI's Combined DNA Index but was not matched.

In 2019, the OCME contracted with Parabon Nanolabs to analyze the DNA and attempted forensic genealogy, but it did not produce any viable leads.

However, in March 2022, the OCME met with the FBI's Criminal Justice Information Services, Deceased Persons Identification Services Division regarding updated technologies available through the FBI. The OCME submitted the unidentified person's fingerprints to DPI Services in May 2022, and the FBI was able to match the fingerprints and dental records to Mr. Kahn, who had been reported missing in Las Vegas in 2000. Mr. Kahn's next of kin has been notified of the identification.

The married 84-year-old retired cab driver, who lived in a Las Vegas mobile home park with his wife Jean, said he was going to Florida to get holistic treatment for a health condition.

That was the last time anybody in his family ever saw him, said Kahn’s wife’s daughter Judy Drago, 81, in an interview on Sunday.
Now, after more than two decades, Drago and Kahn’s other relatives finally have answers — but also more questions — about what happened to Kahn.
Notified earlier this month that human remains found in the Atlantic Ocean 27 miles off the coast of Maine on July 24, 2000, have been identified as Kahn’s, Drago said she and her family have been left grateful that they finally know what happened to Kahn but also bewildered.
He was not mentioned in his wife's obituary. She probably thought he abandoned her. :(

View attachment 395752

I can't seem to edit my original response. This is an excellent article BTW. I appreciate the family providing all the details.

I think Kahn can still be one of his family names, but interestingly he had a different last name before

Born with the last name Erlichman — and Drago wasn’t sure of the actual spelling — he changed his last name to Kahn because he didn’t want to bring shame to his family with his lack of money, Drago recalled.

Is there anything on his birth name Philip Erlichman or Ehrlichman?

I wonder why he liquidated all his assets before he left and gave his sister and wife power of attorney. He was not a healthy man and elderly, he may have thought if something happened to him on his trip, he wants to keep his family safe.
Assets he probably sold to finance his trip.

I think Kahn can still be one of his family names, but interestingly he had a different last name before

Born with the last name Erlichman — and Drago wasn’t sure of the actual spelling — he changed his last name to Kahn because he didn’t want to bring shame to his family with his lack of money, Drago recalled.

I assume Kahn is a name he took from a grandmother or mothers maiden name. Distant enough not to be associated with Ehrlichman but still a very Ashkenazi Jewish name. He could have just randomly changed his name to whatever came to his mind but no, he changed it to a name that likely was not random and that had a meaning for him.

Is there anything on his birth name Philip Erlichman or Ehrlichman?

I wonder why he liquidated all his assets before he left and gave his sister and wife power of attorney. He was not a healthy man and elderly, he may have thought if something happened to him on his trip, he wants to keep his family safe.
Assets he probably sold to finance his trip.

Just throwing this out there...

I found Philip Ehrlich born Oct 1914 living in Brooklyn 1930. He had two brothers and 1 sister. Reportedly died 1987 Florida.

I assume Kahn is a name he took from a grandmother or mothers maiden name. Distant enough not to be associated with Ehrlichman but still a very Ashkenazi Jewish name. He could have just randomly changed his name to whatever came to his mind but no, he changed it to a name that likely was not random and that had a meaning for him.
His first wife appears to have a Jewish name. His second wife was Presbyterian.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back