Identified! ME - Jonesport, Wht/OtherMale 60-65, UP15307, in ocean, clothes, watch, Jul'00 - Philip Kahn

I wonder if his family was from Russia?

I stumbled upon some info but... it's probably just a coincidence.

According to the original missing person report taken by a Metro officer, Kahn left home on July 9 at about 7 p.m., with a neighbor driving him to then-McCarran International Airport. Twelve days later, on July 21, Judy Drago told an officer taking the report that her mother was very upset, as nobody had seen or heard from Kahn since.
The report also said that Kahn “liquidated all of his assets and sent a letter and some money to his sister and gave power of attorney to his wife” and that he also had a new Visa credit card that his wife didn’t know the number of. Drago wanted to know if any activity had taken place on the card, the report said.
At the time, Drago said Kahn told his family he was going to Coral Gables, Florida, in search of holistic treatment for an ailment — Drago remembered this as possibly being an aortic embolism — because he didn’t fancy the idea of going under the knife for surgery.

A few weeks after Kahn went missing, Drago said the family was told by the Metropolitan Police Department that they’d managed to find out from airline records that he’d flown to New York, contradicting what Kahn had told the family.
-

I wonder why he chose to go to New York instead.

According to the original missing person report taken by a Metro officer, Kahn left home on July 9 at about 7 p.m., with a neighbor driving him to then-McCarran International Airport. Twelve days later, on July 21, Judy Drago told an officer taking the report that her mother was very upset, as nobody had seen or heard from Kahn since.
The report also said that Kahn “liquidated all of his assets and sent a letter and some money to his sister and gave power of attorney to his wife” and that he also had a new Visa credit card that his wife didn’t know the number of. Drago wanted to know if any activity had taken place on the card, the report said.
At the time, Drago said Kahn told his family he was going to Coral Gables, Florida, in search of holistic treatment for an ailment — Drago remembered this as possibly being an aortic embolism — because he didn’t fancy the idea of going under the knife for surgery.

A few weeks after Kahn went missing, Drago said the family was told by the Metropolitan Police Department that they’d managed to find out from airline records that he’d flown to New York, contradicting what Kahn had told the family.
-

I wonder why he chose to go to New York instead.

Liquidating assets and misleading close relatives is often a planned suicide.

I thought so. But he supposedly was happy without any depressed traits. But then again, the stepdaughter may not know.
And why travel so far to commit suicide? Maybe he was looking for scenic areas next to the sea just to find a spot to die. Maybe he went on a ferry or ship and jumped overboard.
Maybe it just was an unfortunate accident. He was elderly and in bad health.

I thought so. But he supposedly was happy without any depressed traits. But then again, the stepdaughter may not know.
And why travel so far to commit suicide? Maybe he was looking for scenic areas next to the sea just to find a spot to die. Maybe he went on a ferry or ship and jumped overboard.
Maybe it just was an unfortunate accident. He was elderly and in bad health.
If he was from NYC, maybe he wanted to see it one last time

If he was from NYC, maybe he wanted to see it one last time
He was from Florida and told family that’s where he was headed. He told his family he was seeking holistic care for a health issue. My opinion is a planned suicide because he wanted to leave this life on his own terms, possibly to save his wife the money and emotional distress of watching him die slowly? I just think, in that scenario, he’d leave a note? But who knows, perhaps he was again protecting his wife. He seemed devoted to her.

I hope this isn’t behind a paywall:

ETA: Argh, sorry to duplicate all the info already posted. I missed the previous page of this thread.

He was from Florida and told family that’s where he was headed. He told his family he was seeking holistic care for a health issue. My opinion is a planned suicide because he wanted to leave this life on his own terms, possibly to save his wife the money and emotional distress of watching him die slowly? I just think, in that scenario, he’d leave a note? But who knows, perhaps he was again protecting his wife. He seemed devoted to her.

I hope this isn’t behind a paywall:

ETA: Argh, sorry to duplicate all the info already posted. I missed the previous page of this thread.

He apparently wasn’t from Florida originally. The draft card noted earlier in this thread noted that Philip Kahn lived in Miami in 1940, but had earlier registered with a draft board in Brooklyn, NY. If this is the right Philip Kahn, he changed his name before 1940.

Episode 90 DOE: ID 'Jonesport John Doe' Philip Kahn

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back