Found Deceased ME - Kristin Westra, 47, North Yarmouth, 30 Sept 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
YARMOUTH (NEWS CENTER Maine) — Friends and family of Kristin Westra say they are still clinging to a sliver of hope that the 47-year-old teacher is still alive.
This despite the discovery of an unidentified body near Westra’s home Friday.
~snip

Westra’s close group of friends say the outpouring from the community is giving them strength during this difficult time. They are still holding out hope that Westra will be found alive somewhere.
“This is not like her to have this happen," said Burtler Carmichael, Westra's friend, "and that’s what is so difficult no scenario seems like her."

Friends of missing teacher still holding out hope

I don't understand the point of this being publicized. Her husband's FB page proves the body found is her.

I don't understand the point of this being publicized. Her husband's FB page proves the body found is her.
Her friends are gathering together, praying/hoping that it’s not her. They love Kristin and are in shock and denial that the person found is most likely her. This is not uncommon when a loved one dies suddenly. My heart goes out to them.

Her friends are gathering together, praying/hoping that it’s not her. They love Kristin and are in shock and denial that the person found is most likely her. This is not uncommon when a loved one dies suddenly. My heart goes out to them.

They are in denial that the person "is most likely her." But, it IS her. If my friend's husband announced that a dead body that was found was his wife's, I'd believe him. I understand that everyone handles life in different ways. There would be no doubt in my mind is all.

I've been following this (we lived in Yarmouth, and still have family there)….the only thing I guess I can say is that I'm glad they found her. Not knowing seems so horrible.

I have (like some of you have talked about here) a close friend who committed suicide, and it's a really hard thing to make peace with it. It's so easy to say how tortured they must be in their head to think that suicide is the best option....but, my god, the swath of destruction it leaves in its wake...

If it turns out that she committed suicide, I hope they are able to find a measure of peace...
“Swath of destruction” describes it perfectly

Mental health is still so misunderstood! People still look at me like I have the plague when I tell them I visit my psychiatrist (NOT a psychologist; I'm tired of people thinking that a lay on a couch and talk for an hour) every two to three months.
Not that there’s anything wrong with that lol. Kudos to you for taking care of yourself.

MOO...

I feel so bad for the kids who found the body. I do wonder how much they were just "playing in the woods" versus intentionally searching for any signs of KW. If my kids/grandkids lived a mile away from where a woman had gone missing at 3 am, I don't think I would let them into the woods by themselves.
I wonder if the grandparents thought that the area had been successfully searched, or maybe the kids wandered further than they were supposed to. I lay no blame on neighbors living the life they are supposed to be able to live

Snipped from the Press Hearld and bolded by me:

"Crime scene tape was in front of his house during the day, but officials would not say whether the body was found on that property, which was within the 1.5-mile radius of the Westras’ home on Lufkin Road.

"On Wednesday, the Maine Warden Service had said that the search had “eliminated with high probability” that Westra was within the search zone scoured by wardens, police and dogs. Asked Friday night about how searchers might have missed Westra’s body in that sweep, Smith said in an email “that question has been asked and it is being researched.”

Children playing in woods find woman’s body near North Yarmouth home of missing teacher

I hope I am doing this right. I have not tried to insert links and information before.

Those giving the side-eye to the grandparents for letting kids play in the woods that are near or abut your own property, in an area already searched - is that fair? I don't think so but that's MOO.

I'm a latecomer having just heard about this on Friday.
What have you folks been speculating as to how this poor lady may have taken her life - if that is what happened?
For example, do we know if there was a firearm (for protection) in the home and that it is missing?
Seems unusual for a suicide victim to go in hiding that distance from home and leave her kids and extended family in pain for days.
Then again - if it really is suicide - all behavior (rational and irrational) including not thinking of those you will cause pain is anyone's guess.
So sad for that family. RIP dear lady.

Last edited:
I'm a latecomer having just heard about this on Friday.
What have you folks been speculating as to how this poor lady may have taken her life - if that is what happened?
For example, do we know if there was a firearm (for protection) in the home and that it is missing?
Seems unusual for a suicide victim to go in hiding that distance from home and leave her kids and extended family in pain for days.
Then again - if it really is suicide - all behavior (rational and irrational) including thinking of those you will cause pain is anyone's guess.
So sad for that family. RIP dear lady.
I've only followed a handful of missing persons cases that ended up being suicide, however, 100% of those cases involved the person going to a secluded spot in nature resulting in several days to weeks of searching.

Moo

I have been bingeing on crime videos (my husband rolls his eyes, and talk about giving someone the side-eye), and one that stuck in my mind was that poor boy who had evidently hung in a tree for months, and no one looked up for a long time when the leaves had thinned out. Sorry for the gruesome image. But there is nothing about a rope or sheet missing, so I don't know about that scenario I was pondering.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only followed a handful of missing persons cases that ended up being suicide, however, 100% of those cases involved the person going to a secluded spot in nature resulting in several days to weeks of searching.
Moo
Interesting.
Were all (or most) of the people you referred to country dwellers?
I live in a large city (San Diego) and I cannot remember the last time I read about such a scenario.
Leaving your kids in such a state for multiple days (vs. 24 hours) seems so cold.
Then again, it is a fools errand to try to understand the detached state of someone contemplating suicide.

GrilledCheezy - In total agreement. I know Prozac literally saved my life several years ago when I was one vehicle in a multi-car accident that killed an elderly pedestrian. Even though the accident was in no way my fault, I spiraled into a deep dark depression (always been prone to it, still am). The accident happened in mid-November. The holidays were ruined for me (still are somewhat) and by the time I began Prozac in early January, I was despondent, suicidal. Not sure I would have lasted much longer without it. Truthfully, I wish I had never stopped taking it.

Holidays are a huge trigger for me. My first husband got sick on Christmas morning and passed away 3 days later. How do you avoid that? It's all around you and unavoidable. I have learned to cope. It's still there though.

Interesting.
Were all (or most) of the people you referred to country dwellers?
I live in a large city (San Diego) and I cannot remember the last time I read about such a scenario.
Leaving your kids in such a state for multiple days (vs. 24 hours) seems so cold.
Then again, it is a fools errand to try to understand the detached state of someone contemplating suicide.
3 were local to me and I live in a large city.

Maybe they are hoping to never be found or maybe want to die in nature. I don't know. Sadly they often feel their kids/family will be better off without them. So sad for everyone involved.
Moo

Moo
I found an interesting study from Queensland, Australia titled "Suicides by persons reported as missing prior to death."

It was a study comparing suicides by missing persons with other suicide cases. The population studied included 194 suicides by missing persons and 7545 other suicides.

Key findings:

• Suicides by persons gone missing accounted for 2.5% of all suicides in Queensland, Australia.

• Compared with other suicides, missing persons were more often found in natural outdoors locations and used methods such as motor vehicle exhaust gas toxicity, jumping from height or drowning.

3 were local to me and I live in a large city.

Maybe they are hoping to never be found or maybe want to die in nature. I don't know. Sadly they often feel their kids/family will be better off without them. So sad for everyone involved.
Moo
What you wrote makes perfect sense to me.
Like you said, "So sad for everyone involved."
Especially for those who struggle with thoughts of what they could have done differently to prevent the tragedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304