ME ME - Kurt Newton, 4, Chain of Ponds, 1 Sept 1975

It appears they did a very extensive and thorough search to find him.

Some thoughts from that link

Bloodhounds were called In but they couldn't make it till later so they were canceled and brought in the next day not sure why they didn't press to have them there asap.

By the time bloodhounds came they couldn't get a good scent I'm assuming because they had way to many people searching that one particular area.

I also want to know the background of the man who was the caretaker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mrz
https://newengland.com/today/living/new-england-history/kurt-newton-disappearance/

From the article:

“People who don’t know me say how many children do I have, and I say two, a ten year old and an eight year old, and I don’t think about it because I will go on expecting that someday he’ll walk through that door, even at fifty years old — until somebody proves to me that I’m wrong."

I know I would feel the same way. I imagine many of us would.

I don’t think he was abducted. When a child wanders off from a campground, the possibilities are endless. The forest, animals, ponds, holes in the ground...he could have ended up anywhere. I know there was a huge search, but if an animal had taken him, he could have been dragged around, or buried in the ground.
It’s so horrible, and what became of the family just breaks my heart. I think it is a reach though to think that a bad guy is waiting at every remote campground on the off chance that a child wanders away from his/her parents.

Does anyone know if the Parents were cleared? TIA.

I’m not sure I knew a guy who was close to the case he worked for Maine’s unsolved he said the parents never got over there missing son it really shook them to the core.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mrz
I was looking at this campground on Google maps.
Not sure how it looked back then, but you can clearly see the water from the entry, and how close the campground and water are to the main road. I thought it was miles back in the woods, but it doesn't appear to be. Again, not sure how close the set up is today compared to 40+ years ago, but it doesn't look as remote as I thought.

<modsnip - quoted post ws removed>
I personally believe in this case it was an abduction, the Charley Project got that right, “non family abduction “…. imo. The white station wagon that sped off leaving a cloud of dust is most likely the key, IMO. Tragic. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
My grandfather was the Inspector on the case, and he had a very different perspective on this entire thing. The report that has been posted a few times shows on the last page that even after everyone had discontinued the search, he returned alone for another 2 days of searching by himself. In his decades of being a Maine Game Warden, this specific case haunted him. And he continued to return to the area to search on his own time, determined something would turn up.

I never got to speak to my grandfather personally about this case as I was young when he passed, but I have spoken with my dad and grandmother on multiple occasions about what they remember during those 2 weeks of searching.

To those who aren't from this section of Maine, our mountainous woods are filled with caverns that could easily swallow up a child if they stepped just right. Moss often covers these openings making accidents easy.
I also agree with a previous comment stating that the volunteer caretaker was absolutely fed up with "people from away" leaving their items in the woods, and he probably walked it to the dump out of frustration. I believe the caretaker (which was very common around here, especially in the 70's and 80's, to have a local look after a public space like this. Maintain the road, pick up trash, help out campers if needed etc) was most likely maintaining the dump pile, his daughter probably went for a walk to visit him then walked back to the campsites. his way to leave the dump, he spotted the trike.

Now, my grandfather was very good at finding people, he was the one they called in for all the searches around this time period because up until this point he had found every person he searched for. This is still the only missing person in his career he never found.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy