GUILTY ME - Marissa Kennedy, 10, Stockton Springs, killed by mother & stepfather, 25 Feb 2018

Still nothing that I could find this morning on a new sentencing date, but then I'm only getting 2019 articles over here....

Anyone else? :)

Woman to be sentenced for 10-year-old daughter’s death

Tuesday, February 18, 2020

BELFAST, Maine (AP) - A woman convicted of murdering her 10-year-old daughter in a high-profile case that prompted changes to the state’s child protection system is due to be sentenced this week.

Sharon Carrillo is scheduled to be sentenced Friday [2/21] for the death of Marissa Kennedy, whose bruised and battered body was found in the family’s home in Stockton Springs in 2018. Her original sentencing date was postponed because of bad weather.

Friday, February 21st:
*Sentencing Hearing (@ 9am ET) - ME – Marissa Kennedy (10) (Feb. 25, 2018, Stockton Springs. Suffered months of abuse (Oct. ‘1-Feb. ’18) - *Sharon Carrillo (33/now 34) “mom” arrested (2/26/18), charged (2/28/18) & arraigned (4/2/18) with depraved indifference murder. Plead not guilty. $500K bond.
Julio & Sharon's marriage was annulled on Friday, Dec 20, due to him already being married to a woman in KY when he married Sharon.
Trial began on 12/6/19. Jury selection begins on 12/5. Trial expected to go to 12/18/19.
The judge ruled that Sharon is competent to stand trial.

Trial info from 12/4/19 to 12/17/19 (Day 1-8) reference post #289 here:
GUILTY - ME - Marissa Kennedy, 10, Stockton Springs, killed by mother & stepfather, 25 Feb 2018

12/18/19 Day 9: Justice Murray is instructing the jury on their duties before they go into deliberation. Jury started deliberations at 9:40am ET. At about 12:30pm jurors had a couple of questions & asked for lunch. Verdict reached at ~3:15pm (deliberation time: 6 hours). Verdict: guilty of murder. Sentencing scheduled on 2/7/20. 2/7/20: Court was closed due to inclement weather. Sentencing on Friday, 2/21.
*Julio Carrillo (51) step-dad - plead guilty at “open plea” hearing on 7/22/19. DA will be asking for life. 8/28/19: sentenced to 55 years in prison.

Relatives are pleading for a lesser sentence due to her intellectual disability, claiming she has the mind of a 12 year old.

I don't think I'm in the frame of mind to read this right now, but I'm posting the link for anyone who may want to.
DHHS outlines history, details of Marissa Kennedy case
OMG this report is a horror. You LEARN at your degreed university how to legally work in your career. You do not LEARN from the deaths of children like this dear angel who multiple community members pleaded for help for. My heart breaks for this shaking child who wasn't allowed to talk without her abuser present, my heart breaks for the neighbors who were scared of the abuser and still reported, my heart breaks for the school personnel who cried for help. Who was in charge of supervision of these reports? Over a year of horrible reports. OMG. Heads should roll. Many heads. Victim confidentiality and zero transparency are not excuses for not doing your job.

Alleykins, don't read this report. No frame of mind is good enough to read this report in it's entirety. Thank you for posting so that there is a little transparency in this department. Poor Marissa who put up with so much.

Since you said - I shall not read it....

Rest In Peace.jpg Marissa...

I glanced through the report, but didn't delve into it.
From what I've seen in online comments and headlines, our DHHS truly dropped the ball and let this poor baby down in a big way. I've never liked our DHHS, going way back. No matter the reason why you have to contact them, it's always a negative experience.

Sharon Kennedy (formerly Carrillo) is seeking an appeal on the grounds she was the victim of abuse. I thought this was brought up during her trial, addressed, and put to rest, hence the sentence?
In the article, the Carrillo family calls her out:
(snipped from the article for copyright purposes)
"I am appalled that Mrs. Kennedy stood in front of the judge and stated Sharon was “gentle” and didn’t have a mean bone in her body. Weeks before Sharon and Julio departed for Maine, Mrs. Kennedy personally told she did not want Sharon to take Marissa because she was afraid Sharon would hurt her and she didn’t know how to be a mother.Let’s be clear, having learning disabilities is not and should not be used as an excuse for slowly killing your child. That is an insult to every person who suffers from learning disabilities. Shame on the entire Defense team and the Kennedy Family for blatantly lying."
Sharon Kennedy (formerly Carrillo) seeks new trial in murder case | newscentermaine.com

Alleykins said:
snipped by me...
Sharon Kennedy (formerly Carrillo) is seeking an appeal on the grounds she was the victim of abuse. I thought this was brought up during her trial, addressed, and put to rest, hence the sentence?

Yes it did come out in trial & addressed. The jury took only about 6 hours to find her guilty. As they should!

I doubt they will even hear the appeal - because it was already addressed in trial.

Yes it did come out in trial & addressed. The jury took only about 6 hours to find her guilty. As they should!

I doubt they will even hear the appeal - because it was already addressed in trial.

If it were brought up the first time around and didn't change the outcome, I wonder why they think it will on appeal?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back