ME - Marissa Kennedy, 10, Stockton Springs, Killed by mother & stepfather 25 Feb 2018

Discussion in 'Crimes-Spotlight on Children' started by Alleykins, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Alleykins

Alleykins Well-Known Member

We're a little bit behind the times here.

borndem likes this.
  2. Niner

Niner Long time Websleuther

Friday, April 20th:
    *Psychological Eval Hearing (@ ET) - ME - Marissa Kennedy (10) (Feb. 25, 2018-suffered months of abuse (Oct. '17-Feb. '18)) - for *Sharon Carrillo (33) "mom" arrested (2/26/18) & charged (2/28/18) with depraved indifference murder. $500K bail. Pled not guilty on 4/2/18.
    *Julio Carrillo (51) stepdad arrested (2/26/18) & charged (2/28/18) with depraved indifference murder. $500K bail. Pled not guilty on 4/2/18.
    3/16/18: The state requested a psychological evaluation for the woman accused of killing her 10-year-old daughter. It was granted by a judge on Friday. The evaluation will be scheduled within the next 45 days, according to state law. The results will be private, unless they come out during the trial.
    3/30/18: will under go forensic psychological exam on 4/20, results will be sealed by the courts.

4/13/18 Update: Superior Court Justice Robert Murray :denied: motion to remove prosecutors from case.

borndem and keeleydoll like this.
  3. Jennifer17

Jennifer17 Well-Known Member

Oh for God's sake, the British invented that. No special name for it. Just informing people of their rights. Goes back centuries/

4. Niner

Anyone have access or seen any updates on this?

TIA!

borndem likes this.
  5. Alleykins

6. cvaldez1975

cvaldez1975 Well-Known Member

the special name came from a court case. its common sense but we all know, common sense isn't so common.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miranda_v._Arizona

stellam, flourish and wendybtn like this.
  7. Niner

Sharon Carrillo lawyers appeal decision to keep prosecutors on case
    http://www.penbaypilot.com/article/...-appeal-decision-keep-prosecutors-case/101276

BELFAST — Attorneys for Sharon Carrillo filed a notice of appeal in Waldo County Unified Court April 23, the same day they filed requests for copies of court transcripts from the two court hearings regarding improper conduct by state prosecutors in obtaining records against their client.

The requested transcripts include the March 27 hearing for the Motion for a Protective Order and the April 12 Motion to Disqualify hearing.
    [.....]
    The purpose of the request for the court transcripts is to use the information in an appeal, which requires paper transcripts of the proceeding in question, according to court documents.

Carrillo’s attorneys, Chris MacLean and Laura Shaw, both of Camden Law, had argued to have Assistant Attorneys General Donald Macomber and Leane Zainea removed from the case after they improperly procured privileged and confidential information.

Justice Robert Murray denied the request to have Macomber and Zainea removed, though he did acknowledge the records in question were improperly acquired and ordered the documents turned over to the Court.
    [.....]
    Sharon Carrillo’s forensic mental examination is scheduled for May 4. The exam takes place at the Offices of the State Forensic Service in Augusta, and can take up to three hours to complete.
    [.....]
    According to court documents, the Court had also planned to address a pending Motion for Joinder previously filed by the State. Other matters that were to be discussed included a Motion for Forensic Evaluation of Julio Carrillo.

8. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Moderator Forum Coordinators

9. Niner

CBS 13 investigates: Pregnant women in Maine's jails
    CBS 13 investigates: Pregnant women in Maine's jails

May 22, 2018
    PORTLAND (WGME) – Sharon Carrillo, accused of killing her 10-year-old daughter, is just days from giving birth in jail.
    [.....]
    Nine months pregnant with her fourth child, Sharon Carrillo is now awaiting trial for murder.
    [.....]
    "They visit our medical department more than your normal inmate with no medical condition, but it's really routine," Col. James Bailey said.

Bailey says they've never had an inmate give birth in custody, but expect to transport Carrillo to a hospital once she goes into labor.
    [.....]
    According to a judge’s order, after giving birth the Department of Health and Human Services will take custody of Carrillo's child.

more in article.

bleuboy and borndem like this.
  10. Alleykins

11. fehrie

fehrie Member

This is so devastating! :(

bleuboy, borndem and Niner like this.
  12. Alleykins

Hoosgirl and Lmustang89 like this.
  13. Niner

Maine supreme court to hear arguments in child death case

That would on Tuesday 6/12.

borndem and Alleykins like this.
  14. Niner

Tuesday, June 12th:
    *Oral Arguments by ME Supreme Court (@ 1:30pm ET) – ME – Marissa Kennedy (10) (Feb. 25, 2018-suffered months of abuse (Oct. ‘1-Feb. ’18) – for *Sharon Carrillo (33) “mom” arrested (2/26/18) & charged (2/28/18) with depraved indifference murder. $500K bail. Plead not guilty on 4/2/18.
    Today’s hearing re - 5/16/18 Update: A motion to disqualify prosecutors in the Sharon Carrillo murder trial will now be heard by the Maine Supreme Court. An oral argument is scheduled at the Maine Supreme Court in Portland for June 12th at 1:30 pm.
    3/16/18 update: A Judge has ordered a mental health evaluation for Sharon. Sharon Carrillo’s forensic mental examination is scheduled for May 4. The exam takes place at the Offices of the State Forensic Service in Augusta, and can take up to three hours to complete and results will be sealed by the courts.

Superior Court Justice Robert Murray ruled 3/18/18 that pros hadn’t followed proper procedures when they subpoenaed Sharon’s former school & former employer in New York. Murray ordered that paper records the State received as a result of that subpoena be sealed & turned over to the court. He also ordered that digital records be destroyed. The court hasn’t yet set a hearing date to decide whether any members of the pros team should be removed from the case.
    4/13/18 Judge denies Defense motion to remove prosecutors from case.
    5/2/18: Defense appeals decision to keep pros on case.

*Julio Carrillo (51) stepdad arrested (2-26-18) & charged (2/28/18) with depraved indifference murder. $500K bail. Plead not guilty on 4/2/18.
    State wants Julio to have mental evaluation, Judge has yet to approve.
    4/20/18: Other matters that were to be discussed included a Motion for Forensic Evaluation of Julio Carrillo.

borndem, Kankan and Alleykins like this.
  15. Alleykins

Updates on the prosecutors: Sharon Carrillo's lawyer wants two prosecutors removed, calling their errors 'not mistakes'

From the article: "Carrillo’s Defense Attorney Chris MacLean claimed prosecutors from the Attorney General’s office inappropriately and erroneously obtained records relating to his client’s mental health and mental capacity. MacLean says Carrillo has the mental capacity “of a 12-year-old” and is overwhelmed and fearful of the legal process. “She’s shaken to the core,” he told the court."

borndem and Niner like this.
  16. bears10

bears10 Well-Known Member

GMAFB. My niece is 12, turning 13 in a couple days, and I assure you she knows right from wrong. What an absurd statement. The mental capacity of a 12 year old??! Twelve year olds are fully capable of knowing that the abuse the parents inflicted on Marisa is wrong and terrible. I would even wager most 9 year olds would have the capacity to understand how wrong the abuse was.

Let her shake to the core. Good.

JMO

marynice, stellam, bleuboy and 5 others like this.
  17. Niner

So guessing from that article posted above - Thank you by the way Alleykins!
    That the Supreme Court has NOT made their decision yet? I wish reporters would follow thru on their reporting.

Or did they come to a decision and it's just not in the article?

TIA!

18. Alleykins

I agree, it is absurd, and I hope the prosecutors bring that up during child. 12 year olds are not helpless creatures. If they'd said the capacity of a 3 year old, it might have washed with me, but not 12. I was baby sitting overnight at that age, and new how to take care of a child without beating the crap out of them. The only thing I didn't do for myself at that age was drive, work a full time job and do the budget. But growing up in a single parent impoverished household, I did everything else, like take care of my younger siblings, chores, buy my own clothes, and get myself out the door for school. Her diminished mental capacity/maturity is no excuse for what she did, and no excuse to treat her with kid gloves. Actual children who were younger than 12 have been tried and convicted for murder as adults. Not sure why she should be treated any differently, but that's Maine for you.

ETA: Regardless of her mental capacity, I agree what the prosecutors did was a blatant misuse of power and downright sneaky, all my opinion.

marynice, stellam, keeleydoll and 2 others like this.
  19. Alleykins

I'm thinking they're discussing it and will announce their decision in the near future.

borndem, Kankan and Niner like this.
  20. Niner

Anyone find anything "new" on the ME Supreme Court decision? I haven't found anything....

TIA!